Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMW Z3 - stupid idea?

ARP

For some reason thinking of buying a BMW Z3, not sure why. Would need to have 6 cylinders. They seem cheap and unloved, but I quite like the look of them. Anyone had one, experiences etc. Probably not the best place to ask but would be interested to hear thoughts...

The Z3M has shot up in price. I do love the BMW straight six engine, the cars drive so nicely. Not had a Z3 but had a few M3's and an M5. Loved them all.

MC

I had an imola red M Roadster (Z3M). Was a great car, very analog (and a bit of handful in the wet!) sold it for a new Mini Cooper S when they first came out.

2.8 good fun too- wouldn't bother with the 4 cyl cars. I don't think they've dated too badly at all, and you don't see many about. Go for it!

ARP said:
For some reason thinking of buying a BMW Z3, not sure why. Would need to have 6 cylinders. They seem cheap and unloved, but I quite like the look of them. Anyone had one, experiences etc. Probably not the best place to ask but would be interested to hear thoughts...

Z4 if you can

if it has to be a Z3 avoid anything with a smaller engine

I recently drove a 3 litre Z4 and it was a horrible thing.

The throttle response was too sensitive to careful pedal input coupled with a very light back end which was happy to light up the tyres which gave no confidence when pressing on. The driving experience was further ruined by numb feeling steering with a wheel that is too small in diameter yet too wide in section to fit comfortably in your hands.
All points of contact felt disjointed and at odds with one another.

It did perform well though and sounded pretty good.But that's it.

These things are cheap for a good reason. :what:

I had one a while back, it was a 2.0l (6 cylinder). I really liked it, felt really well made, looked the business with the right wheels on, but it was really underpowered.

I'd still be tempted to get another one if I wanted a soft top, it would have to be the 'M' version though.

Not a stupid idea at all.

I've also had a 3.0l Si Sport z4 coupe. This was and possibly still is the best car I've ever owned.

It was quick, good fun to drive, cheap to run (35mpg easily achievable), cheap to tax and insure and had a massive boot. I'd have another in a heartbeat if I didn't need 3 seats.

A z4m coupe would be awesome, but not cheap to run or insure and the boot is ruined by having a massive battery in there. (due to the quad exhausts)

Z4m coupe, pretty reasonable, has the S54 engine, worth it for that alone.

maybe you could make it look like this :D

bmwz4gt3000opt-1267718898.jpg

Z4MC becoming increasingly sought after.

I had a couple of Z3M Coupes.

Wish I still had one.

Would go for an S54 one now, the S50 version is a little loopy in the wet without DSC.

But you're talking about the cooking cars aren't you? The facelift 2.2 straight six is supposed to be the choice.

I know a little about them 8)

The run out 2.2 sport is probably the pick of the bunch as all ///Ms especially one of the 73 RHD S54 engined cars are more expensive to buy. The ///M is a good place to put your money as they are shifting up in value.

Personally I'd stay away from a Z4, they are not aging as well but a mate of mine has j7st picked up a low miles alpina which are nice and hold values well.

Get yourself onto zroadster.org or zroadster.net.

Many have been fettled too much, a nice original run out sport model 2.2 or 3 litre is nice.

My imola S54 (1 of 4) with AC Schnitzer kit and race setup ......

I had a Z3 2.0L and I loved driving it. It is extremely underpowered though so I definitely agree that at least the 2.8L is necessary. mpg are roughly the same between 2.0 and 2.8 anyway.

There are lots of little niggles to look out for (water in boot, tramlining, VANOS etc), but if you get a good one they are beautiful cars. Just a little on the small side for my liking.

A mate had a 2.8L facelift Z3 many moons ago. Sounded fabulous, very quick, and lots of fun on the road. Quite a blunt instrument though, suspension refinement was a bit lacking. He really liked it, he sold it locally and we still see it about.

Well built on the whole, don't recall him having any real issues in the time he had it. Was a few years ago, so they are all a bit older now.

I have a 3.0si coupe as a daily, and little trips, not super fast but a great little car.
Get the z3 in a 3.0, as I can't imagine it costing much more than the other engine variants.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back