Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Build 991.2 Sports Chrono or not

Curious2

Trainee
Just ordered a base Carerra with PDK. Can't get exited about Sport Chrono, particularly the dash mounted clock. An OPC salesman actually said he couldn't see the point of it. Will I get throttle blips on the downshift without it. On my 981 without SC I get the blips in sport mode. The 911 blurb implies this only happen in sports plus i,e, Sports Chrono. Any one have a base Carerra with PDK that can advise .

Many thanks .

Ignore the clock (that is rather random isn't it!?), its the rest of the elements that you get and contribute to giving you a massive grin!

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/911-carrera/chassis/sport-chrono-package/

Drove one today and the various modes were great fun... it certainly is not essential, but for how much it costs in relative terms, the £'s per grin factor was immense... Launch control was perversely laugh out loud fun.

Definitely should get Sport Chrono. Yes you'll get blips but you'll also get a great performance boost if it's a PDK car you are buying. In fact scratch that, they are all turbos now so yes you'll get increased performance when pressed.

Having driven a 991.2 with Sports Chrono if I was buying one new it would be a box I'd tick. Switching it on the whole car somes alive, noise, throttle blips, over-run etc. Very addictive :grin:

Secondhand I'd then be limited to what's available and what are the best options for me overall and in which case SC would be desirable

Curious if the sports exhaust system adds anything other than "noise".

@Zingari: we chatted for a little while at Gawsworth Hall at the car show earlier in the week. I'm the one who hasn't got a 911 - yet :)

Biggest part of sc is the dynamic engine mounts, even with a manual, it stiffens the drive train up massively. Forget the clock and the launch control rubbish of the pdk and the sport plus unles pdk driven in manual where the super stiff mounts and quick changes are brutal.

Let me reiterate dynamic enigmas mounts is what you pay for.

Curious2 said:
Just ordered a base Carerra with PDK. Can't get exited about Sport Chrono, particularly the dash mounted clock. An OPC salesman actually said he couldn't see the point of it. Will I get throttle blips on the downshift without it. On my 981 without SC I get the blips in sport mode. The 911 blurb implies this only happen in sports plus i,e, Sports Chrono. Any one have a base Carerra with PDK that can advise .

Many thanks .

What did you order then... any other options?... colour?...

Curious2 said:
An OPC salesman actually said he couldn't see the point of it.

Would be very wary of a salesperson who doesn't understand and/or convey the technical and dynamic benefits that the sports chrono option brings. Shame on that salesperson as he/she doesn't know their product. :nooo:

In my opinion, absolutely essential to have sports chrono, as in addition to the switchable engine mounts as others have said, it also provides a much more aggressive (savage) engine map.

Sports chrono is an absolute no brainer on a PDK, coupled with the PSE exhaust. Without these features, selling the car on at a later point will be more difficult as these are options many enthusiasts would consider as essential.

VAP said:
Curious if the sports exhaust system adds anything other than "noise".

@Zingari: we chatted for a little while at Gawsworth Hall at the car show earlier in the week. I'm the one who hasn't got a 911 - yet :)

Vap - Welcome to the mad house chum :thumb: Keep us updated

Defo SC with PDK :thumb:

Deffo Sports Chromo with PDK. Simple!
Enjoy! :thumb:

Looks like it's a massive vote for SC so have added it to the options list. Many thanks for your responses.

You've done exactly the correct thing.
What about PSE?

Tried PSE on a couple of 991.2 demo cars and not impressed. PSE alters the tone rather than increasing the volume. Plus preferred the look of Quad pipes which is not possible with PSE.

Curious2 said:
Tried PSE on a couple of 991.2 demo cars and not impressed. PSE alters the tone rather than increasing the volume. Plus preferred the look of Quad pipes which is not possible with PSE.

I thought the quad pipes are only on the S model not the base?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back