Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

981 Boxster S - It's a Revelation

Zingari

Had one of these fitted with PDK for a day today. All I can say is WOW :eek:

The car and set up is fantastic especially with Sport and PASM deployed. The PDK box is a delight, revs well and quick and handles very very balanced even when I managed to get the tail out on a roundabout :eek:

Solid, well built, no creaks/groans over bumps. OK tyre noise is an issue on rough motorways and some external noise behind your head where the canvas is but having said all that its a great package. Boots space overall is excellent albeit there is no cubby space inside the cab to place your phone!

Not sure PSE is actually required, as this didn't have it but once you get the revs up the exhaust note is very good

I was thinking of the Cayman 2.7 PDK but now I may need to rethink do I go topless for the flexibility :dont know:

Also not quite sure on the standard seats with my glass back :roll: for lengthy drives of 2+hrs at a time. Whilst the backrest seems fine the seat base seems quite narrow, bolsters digging into the hips and short squab length. It's also a pity the centre armrest isn't higher as you cant rest your arm on it - unless you perhaps take the seat out and sit on the floor :what:

It looks bloody good too :thumb:

What's the PDK like? Is it just a faster changing automatic box? I hear many varying opinions on PDK, but you know your onions.

Well, I've been trying not to babble too much about the merits of the 981 boxster s. I have just traded a very nice gen 2 Cayman s for a brand new boxster s. I procrastinated over waiting for the 718 to be released but they had a 981 with extended leather to dash and doors and the sports plus and chrono, with pse. I also negotiated a decent discount as far as Porsche discounts go.

They let me test drive a car with no pasm and no sports exhaust. That also had PDK. It was awesome, tight and just felt like a car that I could have as my daily driver.

I took the bait and bought the one with past, pse, all the other trimmings etc. And I've done 550 miles this week. I even got into sports plus with pse on and it was like thunderclaps behind me.

I have no regrets at all about not waiting for the 718 as I would never have got to hear and feel that howl and I don't miss the Cayman at all although it was a great little car.

My Cayman had standard seats but the boxster has sports plus so a bit firmer on the shoulders other than that I don't notice any difference and I did a 4 hour round trip on m25 yesterday and felt fine. Although I'm only 65 kgs so a normal sized bloke might find them a bit firm.

I also like the extra interior space of the 981 over the 987 it feels a hit more airy and a quality cabin. I could go on.... Sorry😏

I'm happy
:thumb:

Attachments

• image_579.jpeg
    image_579.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 11,476
As a fan of slush boxes - especially the current BMW 8-speed units - I was surprised that a 981 PDK changes gear in auto mode with absolute finesse and is up with the best autos I've tried. Only the tacho and exhaust note reveal the change. Aside from the obvious new urgency in acceleration. They also have a coast mode where I think it literally puts the car in neutral and revs drop to tick over levels. The car can seemingly flick in and out of this without you physically feeling it as well. Really solid proper thumbs up engineering :thumb:

As to where you put your phone: the centre console is the most obvious chubby hole.

For absolutely assured comfort (particularly if like me you suffer from a bad back) then it has to be the 14 or 18 way seats. Unfortunately I think this is the only way to get the lumber support option. A stupid price new but there are a few cars out there with them fitted.

Cayman fans tell me that they are even more practical than Boxsters as they have more space in the boot. True I'm sure, but I love a convertible 😎

I've been singing the praises of the 981 since my first drive back in 2012. In fact when I bought my 4S I had to stop and think hard about whether the 981Box would be a better car.
They are unbelievably well balanced and just feel very composed. I would spec and manual with PSE and seats but the PDK is certainly a brilliant tranny.

Having owned a Boxster a few years ago, I have to say they are more practical and have more storage space than one might suspect.

If I was looking for another car, I'd be picking myself up a nice spec 981 before they are all snapped up. Very few trading up to the 718 based on media opinion I suspect.

So how will they encourage the sales of the 718s maybe clever marketing and finance deals to get the ball rolling but as they have now even increased the price over the Cayman, I reckon they may not sell as quickly as expected.

I wonder what the pre order lead time would be for a new 718?

and in other news, the earth is round... :hand: :wack: :grin:

Kimbo said:
What's the PDK like? Is it just a faster changing automatic box? I hear many varying opinions on PDK, but you know your onions.

Seamless gear changes and only slightly noticeable in some conditions on the upshift. Downshifts are instant, no hesitation at all. And when you think its kicked down it will at times offer you up another lower gear :eek:

Plus in 'Sport' mode as it changes down you get the throttle blip :grin:

kas750 said:
and in other news, the earth is round... :hand: :wack: :grin:

bah .. humbug lol

Cant be many Porsche Mechanics that agree with me though .. none i work with thats for sure .. sigh.

Bunch of Heathens i say :)

Now that's I've driven the 718 I know for sure the name and trying to tie it in with the original 718 is all a ploy to hope you won't notice they flucked up the engine. Will be interesting to see how sales go.

isysman said:
Now that's I've driven the 718 I know for sure the name and trying to tie it in with the original 718 is all a ploy to hope you won't notice they flucked up the engine. Will be interesting to see how sales go.

That occurred to me at the launch party too. Its pretty cynical isn't it?

isysman said:

They will always sell well because they are now aiming for the ex Audi drivers who can now see them driving something with a Porsche badge on. Sure, along the way they will acquire some new 'enthusiasts', but the majority will be middle management types looking for a status symbol and they won't care about the engine. Instead they will fall for the badge and marketing. :nooo:

I drove a 981S when they first came out and absolutely loved it. A cracking car in every respect but a step removed from the driving experience in the same way as the 997 is to the 996, and the 996 to the 993 etc. Not a bad thing per-se, just an observation.

Having got back in a very early boxster recently myself, the 986 feels like the air-cooled of the boxster range. No frills but superb machine nonetheless. I'm really smitten with the Boxster again :cloud9:
heart_eyes.gif

I also have PDK and BMW 8 ZF and love both. Anyone who doesn't has t driven one for long enough to 'get it'.

Are you shopping Z?! :)

I agree the PDK is brilliant, I too have a BMW auto which is super smooth, but the pdk just 'snaps' through the gears.

The coasting function is an emissions/fuel saving feature along with auto stop-start, works when you're off the throttle unless you're going downhill where the clutch stays engaged so you get engine braking. If you turn off ASS it also turns of coasting, switching on sport or sport+ also turns them off.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back