Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

STIFF TIPTRONIC LEVER

tealman

I have a 2007 Cayman which, when hot, suffers from a stiff tiptronic lever. After some investigation it looks like the cable is the primary suspect so I will be looking to get it replaced as soon as possible - I believe that this is a fairly labour intensive job and wondered if anyone could confirm the likely cost of having this work done by an Indy before I get it booked in on Tuesday?

Its more likely to be either the cable linkage on the tiptronic box ( remove cable on the ball joint and see if its stiff ).

Or the gear selector has a t30 torx screw that can tighten up .. this just needs slackening a bit.

Gear cable replacement would be something like 1.5 to 2 hours to replace .. Center consol out , handbrake off , rear panel off , engine cover off then just a bit of faffing around to get the cable in and out.

Silver screw in this image ..

http://cf-design911-2.datadial.info/uploads/images/product/Gearshifts/98742601102.jpg

No. 9 & 10 in this image ..

http://cf-design911-2.datadial.info/uploads/diagrams/701-01_986_1997-05_No10.gif

Many thanks for the advice Demort. The linkage to the box had been disconnected and the stiffness remained so that isn't the culprit. If it was the tight torx screw wouldn't that be constant - the fault only shows itself after a good run so it's almost certainly heat related. I doubt whether I will be doing this job myself but do you know where I can find a guide on removing the trim and cable?

Only guide i could find is here and its for a manual so adjust some things as only one cable to fit.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...-tech/55989-another-broken-shifter-cable.html

I wouldn't do no.4 though , i get the cable in without this.

Your problem is something warming up .. expanding and making the selector stiff , if you have ruled out the linkage on the box then its either the cable or the torx screw and either can cause this fault.

It may well be cable but ive only replaced one for this sort of fault were as ive done countless gear linkages and a few torx screw lossening.

You have to remove the center consol really to get at the screw so you might be better off just doing the cable at the same time as checking the screw .. after all these cables do tend to snap when they get a bit old so worth doing.

Thanks again for your advice Demort. The car is actually booked in for a cable replacement tomorrow. I'm travelling down to Beaulieu this weekend from Chester so needed to get the job done this week.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back