Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 10
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

911tom
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Rags, Lost for words mate....

Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow

Even I thought you had gone too far when you said you were looking to do your own paint work with no experience. But that looks superb and as a first attempt you can only improve. Keep up the good work mate Thumb
350Bhp astra van for work Surprised

BHZ661
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work looks a great finish thumbsup

ragpicker
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor

Cheers guys! I must admit to feeling really pleased with the result. I took it down to my local Indy to see, they said they'd seen worse jobs from bodyshops and had to look very closely to see any defects (like I said, there are one or two) but these will be polished out once the lacquer has properly hardened.

The really pleasing thing is that you can't tell that the front has been painted - by that I mean the colour match is brilliant! I was worried that i would do the front and it stand out like a sore thumb as being a slightly different shade. Fortunately that's not happened!

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver is hit and miss unless you take the car to the motor factors for them to match the correct shade.

Homebuiltbyjeff
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much with any metallics, you can't just spray one panel to get it to match perfectly. Generally you will need to blend into the panels either side of the new paint to get it right. So in your case the way to get the best result would be to blend the bonnet into the top of the guards either side. That said, it really depends on the level of finish you are after. I think you have already done a great job so depends on how far you want to go with it.

ragpicker
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief update...

The old boxster has been behaving itself over the past few months. She gets used every day and has just ticked over 137500 miles.

I noticed a few weeks ago that when changing lanes the rear end would feel a bit wander some. I had a look and thought the nearside rear wheel bearing was shot because I could feel play in the wheel when wobbling it from side to side. I could also hear a noise when doing it which didn't sound wheel 'bearingy' so I took it to my friend (the Indy). He showed me that if a wheel bearing has gone the wheel will have play when waggled top and bottom, not just side to side. It turns out the ball joint in the rear control arm was shot rather than the bearing which was great news!

So first job today was replacing the old with the new rear control arm:

Then I set about replacing the inner CV boot on the offside rear driveshaft. I've been putting this job off for ages as it involves removing the transmission slam panel, the cat and sensor and the driveshaft from the gearbox.

Once you remove the panel and cat you then unbolt the driveshaft bolts from the transmission - held on by 6 hex bolts. Then remove.

Once this is done you pry off the metal dust cover from the end of the driveshaft, remove the circlip keeping the CV joint on the driveshaft and the cv joint slides off.

Then remove the old cv boot and clean the driveshaft

The next bit is the hardest bit of the job - reassemble the boot and joint. Then pack it with CV grease and try to secure the boot to the CV joint with the funny clip it comes with. Needless to say I couldn't get it tight enough so had to resort to a good old fashioned jubilee clip. What a horrible greasy, sticky job!

Whilst I was in there I remembered I'd bought some decat pipes ages ago so flung them on whilst I was at it.

I then went to the front and put a couple of jubilee clips on the steering rack pipes which were starting to weep.

And to finish off I put on some 15mm rear and 7mm front spacers on for good measure.

I did take more pics but for some reason I can't upload most of them - sorry!

PS: what a difference the decat makes! The exhaust sounds absolutely epic but still isn't droney or intrusive when cruising. I think the steel manifolds, gundo-hack and decat must be the best sounding 986 exhaust set up. Not noticed any loss of power low down either but a noticeable increase at the top end. Very Happy

Demort
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker i have to get paid to do this .. you do it for fun !!!!

Impressive as always Smile

CV boots are very unpleasent , only job i ever wear the latex gloves for .. hate them normally , cable tie if you cant get the clamps on .. they are a dam pain to fit , jubilee clip is a little large .

No cat = no MOT as im sure your aware , emmissions etc but i guess youll refit the cats for that .

I had thought you had finished with the work on your Boxster .. good to see its still ongoing ( i enjoy this post ) but not for the wallet i guess lol .

911tom
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
No cat = no MOT as im sure your aware , emmissions etc but i guess youll refit the cats for that.

Either that or find a more realistic garage for MOTs. I'm sure your turbo is catless rags so you probably have a plan already in place. My local MOT place lost my business on all our vans and my cars last year after failing my van on emissions after I told them it had no CAT before booking it in. The did however quote for a new exhaust lol.

I know they are just doing their job and you can not expect them to risk anything, this I do not have a problem with. Taking my money and wasting my time when I told them before booking it in and on arrival that it had no cat is what wound me up! Rant over

Rags another good update mate! I am however a little concerned your turbo may be being neglected.

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress rp. Thumb

Which car are you taking =>> here next year Question
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

ragpicker
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fellas!

Demrot- cable ties eh? It had one on the first time by the guys who replaced the boot last which failed, hence me needing to re-do it. I didn't think to try it again... I hope the jubo clip hold out though because i really don't fancy doing it again!

Work finished on the boxster?? Not at all...

In fact, when I put the spacers on I realised I'd only been given 9 instead of 10 long bolts, so i had a look around for an old wheel bolt and used that. When I set off on my test spin i heard a really loud 'thud, thud, thud, thud' from the rear nearside hub. Duh I'd only put a bolt in which was too long and it was catching on the handbrake mechanism!

Anyway, i removed it but now have a metallic rolling sound inside the hub when i spin the wheel by hand, so I think i've knocked off one of the retaining springs. I've ordered new springs and new rear discs and pads - well if i am removing the disc to repair the handbrake then I may as well put new ones on!

Tom - yeah, I have an *ahem* understanding MOT chap who is very realistic about these matters! I'm sure old Demrot knows this but likes to keep everyone right Grin

The turbo is getting a little bit neglected, i took a friend out for a spin the other day after he'd brought his new 987 Cayman over for an inspection on the ramp. He was trying to hold onto the dashboard and all sorts! Made me chuckle for days.... I'm also supposed to be sending some logs and stuff over to Rick @ unicorn for some tuneage but never seem to have the time at the moment. Whats going on with your build?

It doesn't help that golf is now swallowing a lot of my spare time...

Terry - I will be taking the turbo on this pilgrimage... Once I've squared it with the relevant people. I need several 'ok's' before I can book the Tryp, but I hope to do so before xmas!

Marky911
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this last night. Top work Raggy! Great project.
Nice to see you leaving all the good jobs, like the manifold studs, for Jamie. Grin
I've spoken to you at his a couple of times, back when you had your C4S.
I bet he loves your jobs as much as mine. They always turn into a nightmare. Wink

Very impressed with your paintwork. That's one of the most expensive things to have other people sort and I've never been 100% happy with work I've had done. Thumb

Demort
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:
Cheers fellas!

Tom - yeah, I have an *ahem* understanding MOT chap who is very realistic about these matters! I'm sure old Demrot knows this but likes to keep everyone right Grin

Floor i HAVE to quote by the book ! if you want a real world answer to anything then i need PM'ing lol .

At the end of the day it helps people that read this in the future Smile

If the c.v boot is clean of grease on the inside fixing edge then any fixing will hold it , ( well IMHO anyways ) my thought with useing a jubilee clip was it's a bit big and might start to cut into the boot over time hence my answer Smile

Excellent work and keep my favourite post going please !!!

ragpicker
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Just found this last night. Top work Raggy! Great project.
Nice to see you leaving all the good jobs, like the manifold studs, for Jamie. Grin
I've spoken to you at his a couple of times, back when you had your C4S.
I bet he loves your jobs as much as mine. They always turn into a nightmare. Wink

Very impressed with your paintwork. That's one of the most expensive things to have other people sort and I've never been 100% happy with work I've had done. Thumb

Haha, cheers Marky! Remind me, did I see you a day or so ago, or was the last time we met quite a bit back? Did you have a red 996 GT3, or do you have a silver 996?? I've got to know a few folks through Jamie but its hard to place someone from a username!! Grin

911tom
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
At the end of the day it helps people that read this in the future Smile

Good point there! Useful for anyone thinking of de-cating as it could come as quite a shock at the next MOT if you had no clue why the cat was there in the first place. thumbsup

Marky911
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:

Haha, cheers Marky! Remind me, did I see you a day or so ago, or was the last time we met quite a bit back? Did you have a red 996 GT3, or do you have a silver 996?? I've got to know a few folks through Jamie but its hard to place someone from a username!! Grin

Was a while back matey. When you and J were having your nightly online Nurburgring battles on Gran turismo on the PS3. Grin Although you still might be.
I keep telling Jamie you's need an Xbox one for Forza Motorsport.

Yeah I had the red Mk1 GT3 and before that the red 964 Turbo. My mate Craig has the sorted Silver 996, (Cobra seats demo car).

I'm sure I'll bump into you again at some point. I might even get to admire the Boxster in the metal. Good to see one getting a thorough sorting. Thumb

ragpicker
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! I've got you!! Yeah I remember you well now.

Its amazing how J and I didn't end up wifeless back then with gran turismo every night. I don't ever remember beating him either!

This boxster is a labour of love to be sure. The paintwork still needs a final sand and polish to be perfect but I had to stop doing it at the time because the clear coat was still very soft and was ending up marred. Its rock hard now so I plan on doing a bit with it this weekend actually.

Might see/catch up with you sometime Marky!! Thumb

HSC911
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:

It doesn't help that golf is now swallowing a lot of my spare time...

Get a grip man Old

RedCard

ragpicker
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief little update. Routine maintenance time.

It's roughly 5k miles since i last did an interim oil change, so thought I'd do a minor service.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in an earlier post but a few months ago I put a new hood on the car with a glass window. Bought it from Douglas Valley for a couple of hundred quid. Its a car hood warehouse (986.1) hood with their glass screen in, but it is vastly superior to the plastic screen that was in before.

Changing the hood takes about 20 minutes too, which was a total surprise! Basically 3 bolts hold the hood in place at each side and then the whole unit lifts out.

Anyway, back to the minor service:
Stick the old girl on the ramp:

Old oil drained - the picture doesn't do it justice, it is very clear and looks like its been in 500 miles, let alone 5k.

A look around the car reveals that the steering rack leak is getting worse despite the jubo clips I put on the aluminium connectors... PC This is known to be a real bitch of a job apparently Rolling Eyes

The 987 airbox makes changing the air filter a doddle:

Check all connections along the intake - all good!

Diddly squat in the oil filter:

Noted that the front brake pads have only about 2mm left, so change them:

And bring her back down again:

Before going here to be invaded by geese!

Bandit

ragpicker
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT time.

I'm ashamed to say that she failed on a front cracked coil spring. I only checked them about a month ago and they were fine.. Anyway it gave me chance to try my 'change the coil springs without removing the wheels' trick.

THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO DO THIS, I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE CLEVER (i.e. stupid)

First of all put a little loop of tie wrap through the handily placed holes in the strut

Then sacrifice a 21mm socket and weld it into a sacrificial ring spanner. You'll need this because you need to remove the middle top nut of the strut (not touching the 3 mounting nuts). There is a 7mm hex head in the middle which you need to put through the socket and then the spanner to twist off the nut.

Once you've undone the strut nut you jack the wheel up to compress the spring and use a long screwdriver to push the strut arm down through the top mount. Then you place the tie wrap over the lower top mount washer (which is now down in the middle of the spring) to prevent it returning.

Then you spend ages removing the spring. Or in my case I got fed up, removed the wheel and ground the old spring in half to remove

New H&R lowering spring:

Then using spring compressors, tie wraps and gorilla tape you compress the spring into this:

Before popping it over the top of the strut arm:

and releasing all the tie wraps and tape. Then cut the tie wrap holding the strut down and allow it to return through the top mount. Nip up the top nut and the job is done!

The whole thing can be done without removing the wheel but its a bit fiddly to get the old spring out.

Although this really isn't the best way to do it (because if the spring breaks free it can injure you), it is the easiest because it prevents the faff of undoing all the other bolts on the control arms and sub-frames which you may also round etc.

Anyway, car now has MOT and no advisories...

Very Happy

New997buyer
Yas Marina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbsup

997.1 turbo
Ex 996.2 turbo, 996.1 C2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: