Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work as ever Raggy!

It's shocking how quickly the fasteners and things tarnish isn't it. Mad

Mine and Craig's only see summer use, hence only get wet when washed really, yet even our fixings and things look ropey after a year or two.

At the end of the day, the only way to keep things as new, is not to use them, which is obviously ridiculous when it comes to cars. puh

What's your dog? A Maltese like my two?

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white dog in this thread is a Maltese/Lhasa cross Thumb

This car is a bit rough around the edges but mechanically is perfect. When used properly it surprises a lot of people despite its high mileage chocolate engine...

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
The Leggy Boxster was the highlight of the recent Basel / Baden Baden / Dinslaken trip. On twisty roads or motorways it was the equal of everything else on the trip. From a Turbo S to a GT3. An absolutely cracking bit of kit.

worship

Certainly has me seriously reconsidering what Porsche ownership means Scratch Chin

Most kind of you N997B!

It has me reflecting on what I want from the Porsche ownership too. This boxster has everything I want in a car and there is no difference between it and a car 20 times more expensive in terms of driving in real world conditions. Sure a more expensive car may be nicer around the edges, some can feel more 'modern', but I'm not precious about it and this has benefits too. If I'd brought the turbo I would have been worried where I parked it etc but with the boxster I couldn't care less. Truly superb motoring and the performance car bargain of the last 10 years.

Thumb

Pistol pete

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work, so have decided to read the whole thread...
Loving your work!!!
how do you find the bigger wheels? mine runs 17s' i love the wheels you have but everything i have read its basically don't change them

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:
The white dog in this thread is a Maltese/Lhasa cross Thumb

This car is a bit rough around the edges but mechanically is perfect. When used properly it surprises a lot of people despite its high mileage chocolate engine...

Great little companions aren't they. Thumb

True about the performance. Even the old 996s punch above their weight when driven well. Jamie had a great dice with an Audi RS7 when we done the NC500 last year. You know Jamie though, he can pedal and isn't shy. Very Happy

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been updated for a while, but something is occurring......

New997buyer
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew!??!

The leggy Boxster won’t be terrorising us as we fly down Bealach na Ba Road (hopefully on the tarmac Surprised ) in a couple of weeks time Laughing

Great to see it get the Cloud 9 and (*cough*) colour it deserves thumbsup

What a machine it is worship

Why would you by a 981 GTS and #unhumblebrag about it when the smart money and minds go for a leggy Boxster? Dont know

Can you think of any others who have gone down this route? Question

Fine and learned gentleman they must surely be Scratch Chin

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a respray but it looks like a colour change as well ?

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

911tom
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks fairly serious! Can’t wait to see the results.

350Bhp astra van for work, semi-retired from daily duties
2009 Ariel Atom 3 Supercharged SOLD but never forgotten

New997buyer
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s this Ragpicker? Looks like a right club of weirdos thingy? Question

easternjets
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a 986 for the summer, so interested to read this thread as mines got a few niggles that need sorting, first being what sounds like a differential whine when the car is under load.
Fortunately with mine I've found invoices for coils/plugs and manifold removal a few thousand miles ago, along with new tyres.

Which Indy are you using?
Porsche 928 S4
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers chaps, I'm hoping the results will be quite pleasant.

She's having a little bit of TLC this year, having cost me nothing but fuel for the past 1-2 years since I did all the work. The engine is still exercised to the redline every day and we are now at about 160k miles I think. Doesn't use a drop of oil and the filter is always as clean as a whistle.

She'll never be sold so I thought it was time to change it to my all time favourite Porsche colour and have it done by a Pro rather than do it myself again...

You'll probably be disappointed to hear it isn't an outlandish colour though!

easternjets - I normally do everything myself but if I need anyone to do anything if I don't have time, I use Nelson Porsche in Stockton. Thumb

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update!

Since the leggy Boxster has been nothing but a joy to own for the past 2-3 years, and as it has not cost me anything other than fuel and insurance for the last 18 months, this year I want to give it a bit of TLC.

There had been a couple of areas of rust starting - the usual area on the leading edge of the front wing, but more concerning was a small area on the rear drivers wheel arch. Because of this I thought I'd get the whole car freshened up with a re-spray. Rather than do it myself I asked a friend of mine to do it whilst I went on holiday with some close friends, driving around Scotland.

The car was dropped off and prepared accordingly.

The front of the car was stripped back to metal. This was the main area I painted in the past myself, but I used non-isocyanate paint (to protect my lungs in my make-shift paint booth). The bodyshop felt that their 'iso' paint would react with this and wanted it back to bare metal.

Here you can see the number of coats of paint the front PU has had:

Whilst the prep was being done my wife suggested a colour change. After all, I'm never going to sell the car so it doesn't really matter what colour it is. After negotiation (she loves this car as much as I do) we decided on a dark grey. My favourite Porsche colour being Atlas (despite never having owned an Atlas car).

That morning I text the chap who confirmed he hadn't ordered the paint yet and 'Atlas' it was!

In the interim the good news was that the rust on the rear arch was only surface, it had got under the stone guard on the inner lip of the arch and made its way around to the front. There was no rot on the inner arch at all, or in between the skins, it was just under the outer coat. Bonus! Nevertheless, the bodyshop used POR15 on any area they could find before priming and painting.

Anyway, whilst I was away I was kept updated and received pics like these to whet the appetite:

I think you'll agree it looks stunning in those pics!

It turns out that this is the most peculiar colour though because as it dried it has a blue hue to it...

Whilst in there I also had them do a wee calliper refresh for me.

I finally got the car back today and am very pleased with the results! The colour appears more blue than grey for some reason but I still love it and look forward to completing the next stage of the 'tart-up'.

The next stage of the TLC will be to brighten up the surfaces of the headlights, renovate the seats (including a little more bolster) and re-dye them. I also want to change the wind deflector to one which isn't held in by cable ties, and also I fancy a new windscreen due to the odd stone chip.

Speaking of cable ties, I've had a broken passenger front headlight tray for quite some time now - the plastic around the locking bar broke a while ago and the only way to keep the light in was by using some cable ties attached to the chassis! Still functional but I want to repair it.

I've tried to replace the tray but the light doesn't seem to lock into place in the new one. Any ideas?

Anyway, all for now, more to come. Next will be a nice thorough major service and then the rest of the tidying up.

Thumb

MisterCorn
Dijon

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is looking amazing. Top work.

MC

easternjets
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tarting mine up a little bit, not as much as you though!

Did the headlights with some scratch remover and got rid of that yellow hue that they get. Did the paint work with the same stuff and then covered it in Poorboys. Ordered a shed load of service bits from Autodoc which should be here Monday. Gas struts and all service parts.

My question is how can you liven up the bottom end acceleration as mine feels as flat as a @@rt when you accelerate, it's a 2.7 std not S.
Also is the rear suspension always as harsh as mine feels, it really isn't smooth at all, getting into the 997 Turbo after feels like a magic carpet ride!

Colour looks good, definitely different from boring Silver and Black!
Porsche 928 S4
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985

deMort
Dijon

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no secret that i love the Boxster line up and the work done to bring this back to its former glory .. worship

The colour .. excellent .. its weird how some colours alter in different lighting . basalt black and olive grey spring to mind .. depending on the light they look different colours as does yours .

That's not a cheap bit of work .. hopefully friends rates Smile

i can say that rust is normally superficial on these cars .. i've yet to see a rotten one .. in fact i've yet to see a rotten 986 onwards !

I'm a big fan of matching or different coloured wheels .. several years of doing wheel refurbs i guess so to see non standard wheel colours makes me happy ... i still think this is what makes a car .. but i'm in the minority here .. most customers always wanted silver .

In short ..

worship

i love it !

Thank you all so Very much .

She's not going until july 2020 though .

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

911tom
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning work mate! thumbsup

350Bhp astra van for work, semi-retired from daily duties
2009 Ariel Atom 3 Supercharged SOLD but never forgotten

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper man maths kicking in there Grin

Thought I was going colour blind for a minute there Embarassed

Good work RP Thumb

The return of Marty Wild
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having driven the Precision Porsche Courtesy 986 S, I’m thinking about getting one. What a thread, Raggy.

I’d try and do as much as I can but there’s no way I could come close to what you’ve achieved.

Wonder how much all the susp refresh would come to if deMort did it?! Laughing

I’d aim to whack a hard top and buckets in to save weight. Some lighter wheels abs sticky rubber.

What size rims are you running?

Have you tracked her? Any trouble with fly by noise levels etc?

The TB and Plenum mods, have you had the car on a dyno? You say the 996 equivalents are easier, how much labour do you think an Indie would charge? Finally, did you have the mods mapped in?

Boxster S 986.1
Cayman S 987.1 (gone but not forgotten)

ragpicker
Reims

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers chaps!

@MC - coming from you, thats a compliment! Very Happy

@Easternjets - Assuming your car is stock and without 100cel/decats, the only real way to liven the bottom end without major work would be an underdrive pulley. They do make a difference. There were some engine innovations in the 9*6 model run such as variocam plus which was the true answer to providing extra torque at the lower end. Most pre-facelift 986's tend to just have Variocam I believe although Demort would know this better than me. The rear end should not be harsh at all. Your long arms will need changing (they all do), that would be a good place to start Wink

@demort - Thank you young man! I do like getting the demort seal of approval! I'm quite embarrassed by what I've spent to be honest but as long as the shell remains rot free I will endeavour to keep this car, come rain or shine!

@911tom&HSC911 - Cheers fellas, not a patch on a 718 Cayman I'm sure, but its definitely got character!

@Marty - Thanks pal! I try to put interesting things in this thread and have it as a true reflection of enthusiast ownership. I can thoroughly recommend the shocks and springs I used. You'd have to ask Demort how much he'd charge to change them all over for you. There are always lots of seized bolts which can take forever to remove!

I'm running standard 18 inch turbo twists. I haven't yet tracked this one but I used to track my first boxster all the time. An amazingly capable track tool which give much more expensive cars the shock of their lives! I had some tuition as I was approaching my ARDS test and when I learned how to drive it better it was incredibly rewarding.

I haven't had this car on a dyno but I did my original car. With the mods and the map she was running 290bhp. Thats not whats impressive though. Its true standing 1/4 times etc which are a better yardstick. This current car has exactly the same standing 1/4 time as a 2016 Audi S3, and its nearly 20 years old and with intergalactic miles on!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: