Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

981 Cayman Depreciation...

max99

I'm tempted to buy a Cayman...mainly as I've fallen head over heels in love with it but also as I have a chunk of money sitting in a bank account earning barely enough for a meal out every year.

Was wandering what the expected depreication of a 981 Cayman would be if it was bought today for approx £35k with 10k miles on the clock and put 6-7k miles/year on, what do you reckon it'll be worth after 1, 2 and 3 years...

Understand it'll be an guestimate

Thanks in advance :)

Are you a Remainer or a Brexiter?

Everything else is a rounding error.

max99 said:
Was wandering what the expected depreication of a 981 Cayman would be if it was bought today for approx £35k with 10k miles on the clock and put 6-7k miles/year on, what do you reckon it'll be worth after 1, 2 and 3 years...

Understand it'll be an guestimate

At £35k I'm assuming that you're looking at c3 year old base cars and not the 'S'. :dont know:

The upside is that you'll find a car now. Sadly the downside is that non-S cars seem to depreciate far more quickly.

For a good idea of what the asking price of a 2013 car will be in 12 months time just do a price search for 2012 cars. Beyond that it really is a guessing game.

IF the 981 follows the same trend as the 987 my guesstimate would be that a car costing £35k now will cost £27k in 2 years time and £23k in 3 years.

NB: I've referred to 'asking prices' in all my figures as the 'value' at any time will depend on whether you're referring to retail, private or trade. i.e A car retailing at £35k today will only be worth £28-30k as a trade in tomorrow.

I fully subscribe to the enjoy the money rather than leaving it in the bank outlook but it's a fact of life most cars do cost a lot in depreciation.

I appreciate that it's not a Cayman but your £35k will buy you a very nice 6 year old 911 and the fall in value won't be anything like as bad.

Good Luck :thumb:

ps. :welcome: to 911uk

I went looking for a used 981 boxster s

Ended up buying a NEW boxster s just because I liked it and liked the spec. Plus got a pretty good discount which took care of the the best part of year 1 depreciation and after that I still have a one owner nearly new car.

I think a lot will depend on how well the 718s go down with the buyers. The dealer said that interest in orders was not as he expected tbh. So perhaps it could also have some sort of impact on future 981 values?

But I suppose I am being optimistic and biased.

Loving the 981 drive, sound and interior quality though.

T8 said:
IF the 981 follows the same trend as the 987 my guesstimate would be that a car costing £35k now will cost £27k in 2 years time and £23k in 3 years.

NB: I've referred to 'asking prices' in all my figures as the 'value' at any time will depend on whether you're referring to retail, private or trade. i.e A car retailing at £35k today will only be worth £28-30k as a trade in tomorrow.

:hand: Indeed. I'd pitch a £35k Cayman at 22 bags in 2yrs time as a trade value.

Do some experimentation on webuyanycar and see what the 'trade' is of cars you can buy today :eek: You're looking at £8k knocked off overnight.

As T8 says older cars will devalue less, have a lot to offer, but maintenance costs will be higher. That said you can get OPC warranty up to 15yrs old but factor in a major service, 111-inspection and making sure there are no non-genuine parts (including tyres) on it before you go that route as a 2-yr warranty is likely to cost you £3k+ from the off :what:

BTW I'm likely to be on the look-out for a 981 Cayman PDK later this year as a daily driver :grin:

Good choice Zingers though for your dough a Boxster will provide the same thrills PLUS all the fun that goes with a soft top !!

I take the silver surfer is not a daily driver then...

:)

tim993 said:

Too right there chum. My chalfonts wouldn't take the pounding :what:

CayenneD on air suspension and 14-way heated seats with comfort memory gives the 'support' as the daily :grin:

Thanks for the welcome guys, and replies.

T8, top answer, Yeh I'm thinking it'll be a lot more fun than having it in cash even if it costs me depreciation as long as it's not too bad!

Do dealers still have new 981 's for sale or are they all shifting focus to the 718?

max99 said:

T8, top answer, Yeh I'm thinking it'll be a lot more fun than having it in cash even if it costs me depreciation as long as it's not too bad!

Do dealers still have new 981 's for sale or are they all shifting focus to the 718?

Hello Max, yes there are still a few used 981s and very few new 981s in main dealers. Porsche centre east london has a neat looking Cayman s if you like yellow.

where are you based?

Zingari said:
tim993 said:

Too right there chum. My chalfonts wouldn't take the pounding :what:

CayenneD on air suspension and 14-way heated seats with comfort memory gives the 'support' as the daily :grin:

Lovely - my sorry behind gets its daily transportation c/o the Mrs' air-suspended-comfort-seated Bimmer X5

max99 said:

I have heard about some 981's available - you'll need to ring around. I guess it depends on the level of discount on offer as to whether its a good deal.

Got a 65 plate 981 Cayman as a loaner for a few days, looks lovely, pdk is horrid, ride is not great on what looks like 19's, its gutless. Step on the loud pedal and it drops down about four cogs, revs its nuts off and doesnt actually go any faster. Its in 6th gear at about 1200 rpm most of the time so zero torque when you want to accellerate and it averaged 23mpg on a 20 mile 45 min drive with a bit of traffic. Did i mention it looks nice, steering is overly heavy and brakes are snatchy at low speed. I hit my head on the roof every time i have got in it so far. The gear lever is in the way of the radio and nav controls and the shift buttons on the s wheel are back to front.

Looks nice though, as i mentioned.

Oh, ands its £53k according to the flyer the opc left in the glove box.

Surprised to hear the ride quality was poor, senoj...

With PASM and on standard 20s, I find the ride quality excellent - and that's in a Boxster. A Cayman should be slightly better owing to the stiffer chassis, all else being equal.

I wonder if the PASM and its accompanying suspension tune that makes the difference?

With a Cayman, I'd want a non S with a manual 'box.

The depreciation of the 981 is anyone's guess, but given the lacklustre reception to the four cylinder 982 on account of that engine, I think this can only help prop up 981 values. That's said, the 982 chassis is supposed to be even more sublime, so who knows :dont know:

Bit surprised too that the 981 was that harsh.
When I bought my Boxster S, I tested another one that had no PASM and 20" wheels, albeit on fairly decent roads and it was not too bad at all.

TBH, I didnt notice that it didnt have the PASM at first.

I love the PDK and this is my second car that has it, in fact the PDK in the 981 is a step up on the 987. Perhaps yours felt a bit underwhelming because it was the standard and not the S model.

That 53K price tag, was that for a standard car with some miles on it or brand new (demo?).

I paid 57.5 for brand new 981 BS with a pretty loaded spec, so there are deals to be done, if you can find a new car thats already on the forecourt.

i just checked and its on 20's and yes it has PASM. I know its subjective and the roads are awful...but i drove there in the GT3.

its their loaner so I assume thats the new price. Yes maybe as its base model pdk doesn't suit it but I'm not a pdk fan anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back