Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System Plus

6appeal

Morning All... struggling to find definitive info on what tracking system comes fitted in the car?

Whilst its labelled up as PVTSP fitted as standard... is it this one?: http://automotive.vodafone.co.uk/products/gps-vehicle-tracking/vodafone--cobratrak-plus-.aspx

Anyone done the: Web Upgrade option "a web application that gives owners the ability to obtain a pinpoint location for their vehicles on demand, including the powerful key facility of setting a geofence zone"

Subscription costs for the two options?

cheers

My car is just over 2 years old. It came with PVTS and the subscription was included in the price for the first year.

Renewals in the second and now at the start of the third year have cost £215 per annum.

Got 2 driver's fobs with the car. If the fob is not in the car with the ignition on, then I get a call from the Vodaphone control centre. Know that tow away, tamper and GSM jamming are all in the standard package which I already have. And if the car is stolen, then Vodaphone can obviously pinpoint its location.

Was unaware that there is a "Plus" feature and have not been offered it as an upgrade to the package at any time. Sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Thanks

Out of sheer intrigue, whats the fob? does it mean you in effect have to carry two keys? your car key fob and separate alarm key fob?

Sounds the same as the 997, Total PITA. And an outrageous price that hasn't changed in donkey's years, Porsche GB must be on a nice commission on this one...

6appeal said:
Out of sheer intrigue, whats the fob?

Fob image below. As already said, a bit of a PITA and have forgotten mine many times, much to Vodaphone's annoyance. :roll:

Attachments

• adr_card_held_458.jpg
    adr_card_held_458.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 22,088
OK... the Vodafone lady called me back:

Porsche Car connect comes free with the 911 for 1 year: http://www.porsche.com/uk/connect/carconnect/

After the 1st free year, the car connect is £99 per annum.

To have the safety & security tracking service, for 1 year, its an "upgrade" fee of £235 payable to Vodafone, inclusive of the web tracking of your car.

Or, you can pay for 2 years of the security tracking for £450 (car connect would expire after 1 year).

Or, you can pay for 2 years of security tracking and 2 years of car connect for £476, and your original free year of car connect is added at the end, so this option includes effectively 3 years of car connect... to which, in year 3 you would have to pay £235 for an extra year of the tracker should you wish. Total cost £711.

So depending on personal preference & Insurance policies, for say a 3 year ownership you can have just the free year of connect and nothing else... or to the other end of the scale pay £711 and have every service they provide for 3 years.

i am new to Porsche and couldnt believe you have to carry 2 things on you when you want to go out
the costs is ridiculous, i will be changing mine when it runs out
it seems very safe, but do we really have to carry so much hardware....very old fashioned INMHO

Vts cards should not be kept with the keys .. so the Porsche wallet you can buy to hold the card and the keys is not actually a good idear .. if your keys get stolen then they can still start the car.

So .. not only have you got your keys you have to have somewhere else to put the Vts card .. lots of pockets methinks .. Oh and leave the Vts card in the car ?? awww nooo

Excellent system lol

Is the card thin enough to keep in your wallet? (separate to keys)

6appeal said:
Is the card thin enough to keep in your wallet? (separate to keys)

Is indeed thin enough to fit into a wallet. However, when I did this with mine, managed to accidentally move the button enough to switch it off, which then prompted a car from Vodaphone asking me if my car was being stolen! :x

So, generally carry the card in its delivery plastic case (stops accidental switching off) which I slip into a trouser or jacket pocket.

It is a major P.I.T.A.

Mine failed after 2 years, leaving me stranded twice. The last time next to a petrol pump was not much fun as the car automatically applies the hand brake so can not be moved.

If I had the choice, the unit would not have been fitted to the car and I would have saved the £1600 or so for that sodding thing when I bought the car as well. Not to mention not breaking down (twice in 2 weeks) would have been nice as well.

pvr said:
It is a major P.I.T.A.

Mine failed after 2 years, leaving me stranded twice. The last time next to a petrol pump was not much fun as the car automatically applies the hand brake so can not be moved.

If I had the choice, the unit would not have been fitted to the car and I would have saved the £1600 or so for that sodding thing when I bought the car as well. Not to mention not breaking down (twice in 2 weeks) would have been nice as well.

If you dont pay the subscription or in other words dont use it then it should be coded off by the dealer to stop any further breakdowns.

It cant be removed like the earlier systems but can be deactivated.

I didnt know about the handbrake but i guess it was in alarm active mode so once stopped it made sure the car couldn't be moved .

Interesting... I think I will use it and see what happens. My RS6 had a tracker in, and experience of that was positive.

Am intrigued if it has web monitoring functionality, as that would be of interest. See if the service guys are doing 71mph in my car 😉

Ridiculous cost when you can buy an after market jobbie for about £50, stick in a Giff Gaff sim and track your car for free through their App.
£235 a year to Vodafone is scandalous. Mines deactivated and will stay that way.

From the Insurance calls that I've made so far, all of them have insisted on activation for at least the first year, with the policy effectively covering a £100k risk.

It is money for old rope though...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back