Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

From what year are the Cayman engines considered robust ?

997man

As per the title - from what year do you not need to worry about IMS/RMS/scored bores ?

Chris

I'm looking at a Cayman registered 10/Sept./2009 - would that automatically be the new engine - or do I need to dig further ?

Chris

other obvious giveaways are the upgraded nav and different air intakes.

See here
Cayman.jpg

New model ?

Chris

Re: From what year are the Cayman engines considered robust

997man said:
As per the title - from what year do you not need to worry about IMS/RMS/scored bores ?

Chris

It is posts like this which are helping to push down the value of these cars. You don't NEED to worry about it on any of them, but a lot of people do.

MC

Yes - in know about all the scaremongering - BUT, this will be my first Porsche and I want it to be right.

I have driven a few early 997 Gen 1s - and you know the saying "never met your hero" - well I was underwhelmed !

I'm now looking at Caymans

If I have nothing to worry about - will you underwrite a guarantee ?
Can I send all bills to you ?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Chris

997man said:
Yes - in know about all the scaremongering - BUT, this will be my first Porsche and I want it to be right.

I have driven a few early 997 Gen 1s - and you know the saying "never met your hero" - well I was underwhelmed !

Chris

I didn't say they didn't have issues, just that worrying isn't compulsory. The vast majority of them are driving around with owners totally unaware that any even have problems. I hope to get one one day, I have not heard a bad word about the handling. Great cars.

MC

997man said:

Chris

I was in the same boat as you and have been absolutely delighted with my car. The performance is strong, the interior is a real step up from my gen 1 Boxster S and it cost me c. £30k a year ago.

The gen. 1 997s still look great but the interior lets it down and when spending so much money on a car, the increased concern seems unnecessary to me, even though the percentages that go bang are very small. I had a 996 C4S with the similar M97 engine and in the year I had it, I had a £2.5k bill to fix not that much on it (even though I loved the look of it).

Clearly not as iconic as a 911 but the gen 2 Caymans are fantastic. Just make sure you try and get one with toys, as it will affect the resale value (or buy one with no toys and enjoy anyway!) :thumb:

A friend of mine is after a Cayman. His budget stretches to the lower end of the market and he has been asking me for advice (because I'm the only one he knows with any remote knowledge).

He has a choice between an 07 3.4S poverty spec, or a 58 2.7 with big spec.

As its his first porsche I've steered him towards the 2.7 because I wouldn't want him buying a car with scored bores, only for it to $hit itself in a years time and potentially ruin our friendship.

Of course I've told him all about the engine's little peccadilloes, but I perceive the risk to be enough to advise my friends to stay away from the 3.4.

:dont know:

Ive had both:
Gen 1 3.4s - did about 18k in it over 18 months, loved it but got fed up with the manual box around London.
Gen 2 2010 model 3.4s with PDK, felt like a smoother car to drive and the interior was a little better, did similar mileage in that one and traded for my 981 S Boxster because I wanted a bit more comfort and open top.

i would go Gen 2 if I could stretch the budget but the Gen 1 is very similar in all ways except the potential engine issues but you are getting a car for half the money in some cases which is worth considering if your on a budget.

Hello, newbie here.

I've just acquired a 2007 Cayman S manual with PASM in a rather splendid Midnight Blue. Bought it privately on Friday, a 1 owner car with a few bits and bobs that need spannering (rad hoses, condensers, oil/air separator, discs soon) which I'm happy to do myself. Made it a good buy but only coz I'll do the work.

Looked at Gen 1 and then 2 after the obvious concerns but then back to Gen 1 as the price difference is £8k+ I'm not bad at this mechanical thing but also got it inspected by Peter Morgan (impressed!), reduced the price further and took the plunge. No external sign of bore scoring yet...

I may well rue the day, but I think the IMS bearing was sorted by this time, the RMS is leaking a little on mine and I am reconciled to the possibility of a rebuild at some time in the future.

You pays your money...

ragpicker said:
kas750 said:
Model year 2009 onwards.

+1

End of 2009 builds when they changed from the M97 to 9A1 DFI engines. This engine was put into the production run in Feb 09, so not all MY2009 cars have the DFI unit.

Just to be correct production run started Jan 2009 for 987.2

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back