Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DTM - Paul Di Resta fires warning shot at Audi and BMW

wizard993

As much as I admire PDR and he's always been a top performer in DTM I don't think a front line Williams drive will happen. He's too old....they will all be on the hunt for teenagers now.

I'd love to see PDR back in F1, he's a very talented racer,and fast too. There's been a few F1 stars go to DTM, and get nowhere, but PDR has already won a DTM championship, and looks like he's winning again. PDR in a Williams, yeah, why not. Williams like racers, the grittier the better, and PDR could just be that person.

Senoj said:
As much as I admire PDR and he's always been a top performer in DTM I don't think a front line Williams drive will happen. He's too old....they will all be on the hunt for teenagers now.

Di Resta is only 30 and Hamilton is 31....so would you say LH is too old/passed it?

Kimi is 36, Button is 36 and Massa is 35 so yes, they are at a career ending point in F1 while Di Resta still has loads to offer Williams(and possibly Mercedes if LH goes to Ferrari perhaps)

I have heard insanity being defined as repeating the same action in the same circumstances and expecting a different outcome. PDR has already won the DTM title, got an F1 seat and failed to keep the drive. I simply do not see it happening for him again. The only way he would even get a super license is via force majeuer from having previously held one (DTM does not count for the new points system for the super licence and as such is no longer an officially recognised path to F1. Indeed the only DTM route to F1 as things are is for an Audi DTM driver to get promoted to a seat in LMP1H for Audi Sport and win the WEC title).

Should the Williams seat become vacant I would fully expect that it will go to either someone who has previously finished in the top 3 of the F1 title race or someone with a mind-bogglingly large bucket of cash. The only other possibility might be if Mercedes want to get Pascal Wehrlein into a more competitive car and do something with the cost of the engine deal to get him into Williams. The point is - if anyone is getting the seat as a result of a Mercedes connection, it is staggeringly unlikely to be anyone but Wehrlein.

Disco said:
I have heard insanity being defined as repeating the same action in the same circumstances and expecting a different outcome. PDR has already won the DTM title, got an F1 seat and failed to keep the drive. I simply do not see it happening for him again. The only way he would even get a super license is via force majeuer from having previously held one (DTM does not count for the new points system for the super licence and as such is no longer an officially recognised path to F1. Indeed the only DTM route to F1 as things are is for an Audi DTM driver to get promoted to a seat in LMP1H for Audi Sport and win the WEC title).

Should the Williams seat become vacant I would fully expect that it will go to either someone who has previously finished in the top 3 of the F1 title race or someone with a mind-bogglingly large bucket of cash. The only other possibility might be if Mercedes want to get Pascal Wehrlein into a more competitive car and do something with the cost of the engine deal to get him into Williams. The point is - if anyone is getting the seat as a result of a Mercedes connection, it is staggeringly unlikely to be anyone but Wehrlein.

Err...Di Resta has an F1 superlicence....the clue was in the fact that he was hired by Williams for the 2016 season and could jump straight into the car if needed. :grin:

I don't share your view that he has no chance of ever returning to F1 as the pay-driver mentality is receding, with a focus more on raw talent again(which he and others have in spades).

Mercedes and Wolff rate Di Resta very very highly and with F1 timing is everything. If he gets that DTM Merc to fly again, nobody will stop him as he is a skilled and hard barsteward to race against and beat...as Vettel and Hamilton already know.

From a UK perspective the more we have in top level Motorsport the better :thumb:

"I would fully expect that it will go to either someone who has previously finished in the top 3 of the F1 title race or someone with a mind-bogglingly large bucket of cash. "

Not really a driver criteria you could aim at Sir Frank Wiliams.....who prefers talent and grit over tenners and garbage.

Daddy's money does not make you a top driver talent.

http://m.thenational.ae/sport/formu...onstrate-he-deserves-to-remain-in-formula-one

.....will the F1 paddock go full circle and recruit talent first and foremost?

http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/id/11334

wizard993 said:

Quite possibly. I still can't imagine PDR I the Williams. I can easily imagine Button in there though, a very marketable combo and he will be cheap and still good next year.

Senoj said:
wizard993 said:

Quite possibly. I still can't imagine PDR I the Williams. I can easily imagine Button in there though, a very marketable combo and he will be cheap and still good next year.

You know something.....those two Brits would be a tough combo to beat if a British Williams car was quick enough.....as lets face it, F1 can be full of driver surprises and an all British team would be a dream team again.

As an aside.....is Alonso and Kimi going to chuck it next year I wonder?(although Kimi has got his 2nd wind at Ferrari this year which is great to see) :thumb:

A 13 sec win gap at the end of any DTM race is massively impressive and shows the Brit's talent.

wizard993 said:
"I would fully expect that it will go to either someone who has previously finished in the top 3 of the F1 title race or someone with a mind-bogglingly large bucket of cash. "

Not really a driver criteria you could aim at Sir Frank Wiliams.....who prefers talent and grit over tenners and garbage.

Pastor Maldonado begs to differ, his F1 career having gone the way of Venezuela's economy (it's state oil company having been his primary backer). Even though he actually won a race for Williams in his time there I don't think that you will find too many people who reckon that he would have secured and retained the seat for so long without PDVSA...

wizard993 said:

Indeed, but my point was that there are drivers out there with money and talent and in the modern world of F1 : money matters. That is how PDR lost his drive to Perez in the first place.

Over the last year Williams have just returned to profit (albeit only £200k) after losing over £30m the year before. Balancing the books is crucial and there probably is thus an amount of money that would secure the drive for anyone suitably qualified who was considered talented enough to deliver consistent enough points finishes. If Williams were to fall back down the order, the reduction in prize money would instantly unbalance those books again. A proven F1 driver who consistently and reliably delivers points finishes is a must and Di Resta's stats from his last stint in F1 don't really describe that level of consistency. I don't see him able to secure that seat without financial backing. If he had someone putting £20m behind him then sure, but not on his demonstrated abilities alone.

Personally though I expect their next driver to be someone who currently has a race seat with another team, probably McLaren (who are known to want to open a seat for Vandoorne for next year). The Button speculation is credible - he is a former champion, PR & sponsor gold, still quick but equally a reliable pair of hands to get the car home in the points (as long as it doesn't break down of course).

IMHO Di Resta would have stood more chance of getting back into F1 if he had gone to Indycar or WEC. I reckon that by going back to DTM he blew it - time will tell whether I am wrong or right in that though.

I know that you are a huge PDR fan, but if you seriously think that he will get back into F1 (particularly in a podium capable car) I fear that you may be in a small minority. I'd love for you to be right and for him to return, but I simply cannot see it. :nooo:

Disco said:
wizard993 said:

Pastor Maldonado begs to differ, his F1 career having gone the way of Venezuela's economy (it's state oil company having been his primary backer). Even though he actually won a race for Williams in his time there I don't think that you will find too many people who reckon that he would have secured and retained the seat for so long without PDVSA...

wizard993 said:

Indeed, but my point was that there are drivers out there with money and talent and in the modern world of F1 : money matters. That is how PDR lost his drive to Perez in the first place.

Over the last year Williams have just returned to profit (albeit only £200k) after losing over £30m the year before. Balancing the books is crucial and there probably is thus an amount of money that would secure the drive for anyone suitably qualified who was considered talented enough to deliver consistent enough points finishes. If Williams were to fall back down the order, the reduction in prize money would instantly unbalance those books again. A proven F1 driver who consistently and reliably delivers points finishes is a must and Di Resta's stats from his last stint in F1 don't really describe that level of consistency. I don't see him able to secure that seat without financial backing. If he had someone putting £20m behind him then sure, but not on his demonstrated abilities alone.

Personally though I expect their next driver to be someone who currently has a race seat with another team, probably McLaren (who are known to want to open a seat for Vandoorne for next year). The Button speculation is credible - he is a former champion, PR & sponsor gold, still quick but equally a reliable pair of hands to get the car home in the points (as long as it doesn't break down of course).

IMHO Di Resta would have stood more chance of getting back into F1 if he had gone to Indycar or WEC. I reckon that by going back to DTM he blew it - time will tell whether I am wrong or right in that though.

I know that you are a huge PDR fan, but if you seriously think that he will get back into F1 (particularly in a podium capable car) I fear that you may be in a small minority. I'd love for you to be right and for him to return, but I simply cannot see it. :nooo:

"A proven F1 driver who consistently and reliably delivers points finishes is a must and Di Resta's stats from his last stint in F1 don't really describe that level of consistency."

You need to check your stats as PDR was actually one of the most consistent while at Force India.

Anyway - just some F1 speculation the focus must be for either PDR or Paffett to win the DTM as other than that, Britain wont have much to shout about if Nico wins the next few GP races and LH's bad luck continues.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back