Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car back from bodyshop... What would you do next?

ragpicker

So, the old gal has been in the bodyshop for 3/4 full respray. Full front end inc bumper, whole near side due to small dents accumulated and rear bumper.

Its come back looking absolutely mint! Not a swirl in sight!

26732368100_68262bb1ac_o.jpg

26732370690_0319c3cd77_o.jpg

26732373780_d4fd2ef8af_o.jpg

26972817516_8f05791ec5_o.jpg

Now there isn't any protection or wax on there at all at the moment. I have the full gamut of GTechniq stuff including C2 and panel-wipes. Ive got some hand-made wax, I've literally got hundreds of products, most of which you would recommend.

So, what would you do next? Panel wipe and Gtechniq? Simply put a coat of good old collinite 476 on?

:?:

I don't know much about waxes etc, but I think the first order of business is to go and get that dirty again by driving the wheels off it. That looks flippin ace :thumb:

I'm planning to get my car paint corrected and a clear film on the front end. Then get a ceramic coating on the whole car. Only problem is to put the clear film the paint needs to be left for 3-6 months to harden. So next time I'm back home I suppose.

isysman said:
Only problem is to put the clear film the paint needs to be left for 3-6 months to harden.

3-6 months? Really? Someone better tell Porsche Reading they're doing Xpel film all wrong then; they are routinely applying it to brand new cars!

I've just had it applied to the front of my GT2 2 weeks after paint without any problems.

Did your bodyshop not have an oven? :floor:

NXI20 said:
isysman said:
Only problem is to put the clear film the paint needs to be left for 3-6 months to harden.

3-6 months? Really? Someone better tell Porsche Reading they're doing Xpel film all wrong then; they are routinely applying it to brand new cars!

I've just had it applied to the front of my GT2 2 weeks after paint without any problems.

+1

Have a conversation with Paintshield, the wait time from paint spray to clear film wrap will not be as long as three to six months.

Rags I am going to send my car for paint soon. I will be going paintshield. This will be my 2nd front end spry in two years. I made the mistake of not doing last time and am paying the price now.

My understanding is that paint hardening time is required prior to applying treatments such a GTechic, not film.

I was told this by Road & Race painter and by Reep Automotive.

I would just go with a good quality wax rather than a nano sealant, most decent waxes will last between 4-6 months anyway.

I cant mind what one did you get from Stevie at BMD was it Sirius or Cosmos ?
Sirius will give a nice wet look
Cosmos will give loads of extra flake pop.

For the amount of miles its going to do I'm not going to go with the paint shield stuff. I'm going to swim against the tide with my thinking and go for a good old fashioned sealant/wax. If I need to have another re-spray in 2 years then that will give me 4 years of paint for the same price as having it painted and paint-shielded. I can live with that.

FWIW my paint man said I could put anything I wanted over it as soon as I like. That includes Gtechniq stuff, or paint shield. Mine wasn't baked either, it was left to dry on its own to prevent any risk of solvent-pop.

Neil, I went for Cosmos and still have it untouched on the shelf in the garage. I've also got the Gtechniq C1 and Exo V2 on the shelf which is why I'm asking the question I suppose...

When I got the car on the lift and under the spotlights I noticed a couple of stray swirls and a small area of hologramming, so yesterday I used my new Autobrite snow foam (should be called marshmallow foam!), washed her and then used some Menzerna 2400 with a heavy cutting pad to completely remove the offending blemishes.

So she is now sitting there waiting for me to apply whatever I decide upon this morning after my run... Decisions decisions...

So Neil, you think Wax rather than sealant?

I'm inclined to agree with you. I might use the GT stuff on the wife's Rangey since it gets abused on the daily grind... :?:

Personally, I would go for a ceramic coating on black.

Black is gorgeous but is going to show the inevitable wash marring sooner than any other colour. Anything to slow that down would be worth the extra time and trouble in my book.

Car looks fantastic by the way. :)

Wax doesn't protect against stone chips. I want to keep it looking as good as as it does right now. As I read on s other thread, someone just back from a Euro trip and his car is peppered with stone chips. Some say they just get it repainted every couple of years but it means driving around with lots of chips for that time. I'd rather have it looking great the entire time and just replace the film when required.

isysman said:
Wax doesn't protect against stone chips. I want to keep it looking as good as as it does right now. As I read on s other thread, someone just back from a Euro trip and his car is peppered with stone chips. Some say they just get it repainted every couple of years but it means driving around with lots of chips for that time. I'd rather have it looking great the entire time and just replace the film when required.

Fair comment mate. If I had invested as heavily cosmetically in my car as you have in yours I would probably go for the paint shield too.

:thumb:

NXI20 said:
isysman said:

You can laugh all you want, but paint takes at least 2 months to harden fully as the solvents take a long time to dry out. This is why some darker paint finishes go a bit flat looking weeks after being finished and polished up. The solvents dry out of them and cause the surface to go flat.

And yes. My bodyshop has a top spec oven.

You could apply film to the paint literally 5 minutes after it came out of the oven if you wanted, but I certainly wouldn't do it to my own car.

As for dealerships applying film, what makes you think they have the first clue about applying films or other paint protection? I work with dealerships all the time and all they care about is selling as many additional items as possible on new cars: Paint protection, 'ceramic coatings', Williams paint treatment, interior fabric protection... They are not particularly interested in how to do it properly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back