Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will NA cars be more sought after in a few years?

wilpert

Indianapolis
As per thread title.

Basically, I have been toying with upgrading from my Gen 11 Cayman S and I'm finding the jump up to the next model 981 Cayman S or Boxster S.

I've come to realise that the cost to change up, to a car that has possibly more miles than mine seems to be well over 15K.

So i considered holding onto my gen 11 for a couple of years in the hope that the newer turbo engine models might create a situation where there becomes a market for the NA models (especially the Gen 11 because of the DFI engine). I'm hoping that this could level out the difference between the 987 and 981.

phew, that was brain tiring but I hope I got my point across.

987 to 981 is a big leap price wise but is, imo, well worth it.

Personally I think normally aspirated and (more importantly) 6 cylinder 981 cars will hold their value against the newer cars.

It will find a niche in the market much like the Gen 2 997 has.

T8 said:
987 to 981 is a big leap price wise but is, imo, well worth it.

I haven't driven the 981 but i have looked at a few on the forecourts.
I suppose I want to ensure that if I take the leap, I can live with myself later on when they tell me the 987 gen 11 is/was the best car to have.

The dealerships seem keen to take mine off of my hands for what seems like decent money but there is still quite a leap up to to the 981 :?:

Whilst the 987 is very nice, IMHO with the 981 you get a car that is genuinely good looking and quite striking. I hate to say it but they are better looking cars than the 991 generation 911s with which they share a front end. So, a bit of a slip up there by Porsche! Also they sound so damn good as well. Ok I've not heard a 987 to know if it's any different, but a 981 with PSE just sounds amazing in its own right.

It'll probably take a while but the last of the N/A Boxsters will become the ones to have.

Given the amount of anti-turbo sentiment on the Internet, then yes, all NAs should be jumping, but I would say it's a partial yes, a car with a good NA engine may depreciate less, but it seems to me there is a lot of misplaced nostalgia for NA engines that weren't that great in the first place. There are advantages to an unstressed turbo engine (it's easy to extract more torque for the day to day driving), and one of the best cars I ever had was a turbo...

Not that this helps much. If you want the latest car, you'll need to do a lot of man maths to get to the point where the cost to switch makes sense.

I don't think a demand for n/a cars will close the price gap between the 987 Gen2 and the 981 Caymans.
My reasoning is that if a demand for n/a cars drives up values, the 981 Cayman will likely be the Cayman that is sought after for it's looks, n/a flat 6 sound and the more refined interior.
If anything, I think a demand for 981 Cayman's will outstrip demand for earlier cars, and only widen the price gap.

Maybe you should seriously consider getting into one sooner rather than later. I'm actually considering picking up a 981 Boxster before they start to go up in value.

IMO it really depends on how well the turbo engines are implemented. If they can produce the throttle response and sound of the NA engines, with the extra torque and better fuel consumption of the turbo engines, then I don't think there will be a huge demand. I am yet to drive a turbo car which can match the response and sound of something like the S54 engine in the CSL. They might well be out there, and if they aren't now then they will be in the future, it is just that I haven't driven them.

MC

Oh well, I've ended up with one of the last NA Flat 6 BS 981's
How can I start a rumour that the new 718s will suffer with spontaneous combustion or cause the buyer to suffer from sexual libido issues or worse!

but whatever the case the sun is shining, so I will enjoy for now :)

Attachments

• img_1212_136.jpg
    img_1212_136.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 6,441
I think you are on a winner personally. Great looking and great sound. Surefire winning formula. Outright speed matters little when you have the roof down, sun shining and that flat 6 howling...

for me the 981 S or GTS are going to be sought after -particularly in interesting colour combinations- IMHO they look better than the new 982 with a meaner front end and they sound wonderful .

You come across a lot of people who have made the 997 to 981 jump.. it makes me a little suspicious as to why the 982 might not have been made quite as good .

wilpert said:
Oh well, I've ended up with one of the last NA Flat 6 BS 981's
How can I start a rumour that the new 718s will suffer with spontaneous combustion or cause the buyer to suffer from sexual libido issues or worse!

but whatever the case the sun is shining, so I will enjoy for now :)

Hi wilpert - that looks great😀👍

Do you know the actual build date?

Don't know the build date could be last year for all I know as it was already on the forecourt. Wasn't a cancelled order and only had 11 miles on it so wasn't a demo. How can I find out?

I can certainly see Boxster Spyders, Cayman Rs and GT4s holding a strong market niche going forward. I am not convinced that the case will hold for the cooking cars of similar vintage though. Time will tell, but the early impression that I get is that the turbocharged cooking models are just a bit too good for the mainstream pork marked to avoid them :?:

Actually I checked and if I've interpreted the vin correctly it's a 2016 build because the 10th letter is a G.

That's according to Interweb but I stand to be correctifeded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back