Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

86/BRZ

Mat59

Just put a deposit on a 2014 BRZ as an addition to my 996 Turbo. I wanted something to use daily and keep the miles off the turbo. Love the turbo for all of its strengths but really missed a light playful RWD chassis. Hoping it will be fun and reliable for track days and some light modifications. Completely coincidental that they both have flat piston engines!

Anyone else on here have one?

Looking forward to getting back to basics. Reliving my youth!

Great decision :thumb:

I guarantee that you will absolutely love it.

My wife has had hers for over 2 years but as I've driven 4.5k of the 5k miles it's done in that time I'm better qualified to comment. :D

My 911 is SORN'd for 2 or 3 months each year and it's the GT86 that has kept me sane during those months. There's always odd days in the winter that you can go out for a hoon and Toyota allows just that. In fact I'm getting to a stage where on 75% of the days that I just feel like a local blat about around the local twisties I take it out rather than the 997T.

With so much traffic on the roads in the UK the times when anything over 197 bhp can be used for anything other than odd squirts are few and far between so it's great to be in something that is quite quick but feels even quicker and more to the point is fun with a capital F.

Performance and handling wise it reminds me very much of my old 924 but in fact is probably faster. The skinny tyres demand that you respect the back end far more than you ever need to in a 911 and in the damp things can seriously interesting but the fact that it is so catchable just adds to the experience.

Track wise on short circuits like the Brands Indy there's very little for the sort of money that bring such a smile to your face.

I'd leave any thoughts of tuning it until you've got used to the standard car. The Japs have got the performance/grip balance absolutely spot-on and you might find yourself not needing to spend any extra money at all.

Looking forward to hearing your early views. :bye:

I've driven around 50k miles in GT86's in the past 3 years (4 x different ones), and they are really great cars (all company cars). If I was to buy one, I'd remove the skinny OE wheels and fit winter tyres on them, that'd keep me on the road over the cold and slimy months. I'd then fit wider, more grippy wheels and tyres, get some more exhaust noise with a cat back system. That's it, it doesn't need anything else,just a bit more grip and noise.
Get used to keeping it on the boil, and its a real flyer, rewarding a drivers hard work. Also, get used to people coming up and telling you what a great looking car it is, and thinking that it's really fast. You'll have a hoot. Enjoy. :thumb:

I'm still trying to persuade my brother to go halves on a BRZ for trackdays and weekends (he has a GP2 which is about as good as it gets for a FWD) - I'd not necessarily want wider tyres (they're 215s!) but I would want lighter rims with a lot less offset, with proper sticky tyres, a new exhaust and the remap to smooth out the power delivery and add a few lbs/ft. And probably upgraded pads, if not a whole new BBK.

I live in Dubai so no need for winter tyres. My plans are for lighter 17" wheels mainly because the standard ones look sh1te. Then, as said, will do something about the noise - maybe an unequal length manifold for the old Subaru burble. Just want a simple RWD driving experience so no need for supercharger a just yet. That said, it's amazing how cheap tuning parts are so we'll see.

Love that it still has 3 years warranty. Almost no worries about running costs. Nice change from old porsche ownership.

Test drove a blue one about a year ago.....a very underrated car but not a lot of space for 4 bods, so did not proceed.

It had a silky gearbox, good steering and good pick up from about 30mph

Well bolted together also.

Don't think you could go wrong with one, unless you needed the space

Hi. Funny you show is mention that. Yes, the rear leg room is actually worse than the 911. Went to the Toyota showroom with my wife and 5 yr old daughter to make sure we all fitted in. We did, just.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back