Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wrong part fitted - does it matter

belfry

1978 911sc
Further to my post last week asking to borrow a fan pulley spanner, I ordered a new pulley and six pulley shims. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong part. I think I've ordered a pulley for a car with aircon. My car does have air con. It is about 2cm deeper. The section that holds the fan belt is identical to the old (worn) part. Can anyone tell me if there's a problem using the new pulley. It's on the car now and everything's working fine.

Attachments

• image_367.jpeg
    image_367.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 6,035
lots of views .. no replys .. not my forte but some basics if it helps ..

belts must be perfectly aligned with each pully , if alternator pully sticks out further than old one then it wont align correctly which will wear the belt faster.

The belt should be pretty much flush with the top edge of the pully , if it sits too deep or too high in the pully it wont grip and again will wear faster.

Sorry, are you saying you ordered a pulley for a car WITH aircon and you DO NOT have a car with aircon?

I agree with Demort. If the alignment of the alternator belt is the same on both the pulley you took off and the new one, you should be OK. The redundant part will not make any difference. You could simply get a machine shop to remove the excess.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back