Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Cup car

bryce

Anyone on here running or have experience of running a GT3 Cup car, both 996 and 997.1...

I met a lad yesterday at knockhill who has a 997 cup car. Are you thinking about getting one ?

Yes, but i haven't a clue on them as there's little info out there. At this moment in time it would be purely for track days, not racing.

bryce said:
Yes, but i haven't a clue on them as there's little info out there. At this moment in time it would be purely for track days, not racing.

Requires lots of attention and they are extremely expensive to run. I can give you his email if you want ?

yes
had a 997 cup
Steve's experience on the PH thread was similar to mine.
though he has got a lot of racing experience

I'd be going to either Fearnsport or Parr out of choice
both worked on mine, with good results.
totally different proposition to that of a road GT3 though
looking back at the in car vid shows a fair difference in corner speed to that of a road GT3:)

I raced Porsche cup for the last 10 years and owned many
If fancy a chat pm me and we can exchange numbers.

So has anyone looked into the cost of getting a Cup car road legal. Surely with prices of RS being sky high it cannot be that uneconomical to do - ?

Can a standard road gearbox not be fitted to a Cup car and then just drop the sequential system in place. Presumably this could be sold to recover some of the cost. Then just two seats and maybe some sound deadening :D .

I know that Manthey do an 'engine upgrade' on the 996 GT3 for GBP/EUR (?) 20,000 and NXI has mentioned Fearnsport do something similar. Presumably both are engine rebores et cetera. How far away from Cup cars are these upgrades - seq gearbox aside? Obviously I realise the Cup car has a wider stance - arch extensions, wheels et al.

Pip

Pip1968 said:
So has anyone looked into the cost of getting a Cup car road legal. Surely with prices of RS being sky high it cannot be that uneconomical to do - ?

It has been done with 996 Cups (which have an H pattern gearbox), but I haven't heard of it being done with a 997. I suspect that it is very possible but likely quite a chunk more expensive than it might seem. If you have ever seen someone trying to manoeuvre a Cup around a car park you will also note that the spikey nature of the racing version of the engine (it doesn't have vario sanitising the bottom end of the rev range for road manners like the road car) will also make it a bit of a pig to drive in normal road conditions.

If - however - you had a road car with a written off shell and were looking to transplant the drivetrain, cooling system, ECUs and so on into a Cup: I reckon that you could end up with something at a good compromise between the two...

Someone with a bit more technical expertise than I needs to chime in and start making corrections at this point though.

Anyone who has spent even 20 minutes in a Cup car of any era will know why putting one on the road isn't that desirable, even if it is technically possible.

All the things that make a race car great on track makes it equally awful on the road; Disco has touched upon some of them. One of the big ones is the suspension is calibrated for slicks & a track. With those spring & damper rates on the road, the car will be horrible to drive due to the lack of compliance; if you choose spring rates more suited to the road, you lose most of the cornering ability so why have a Cup car in the first place? A bare shell means that without a helmet on (although given the hard surfaces everywhere, a helmet would be a good idea), you effectively go deaf on any sort of longish journey. I remember Vic Cohen driving his 993 Cup car to Spa years ago and you had to shout at him for a whole day after he arrived. Leave aside the fact that you freeze when it's cold & boil when it's hot, a race car just isn't a place you want to spend any time when not on a track. They also tend to let water in when it rains & then proceed to steam the windows up if they're not moving...

Did I mention the turning circle? You would be there doing a 9 point turn with lots of stalls because of the fierce paddle clutch when a road car could do it as a 3 point turn. A good way of incurring the wrath of other road users & further convincing you of your folly.

You would wind up making so many modifications to get it even halfway useable on the road that the cost (and most of the weight) saving over modifying a road car would largely be lost. Plus you'd still want to put it on slicks when you got to a track to get the most from it so driving it there really isn't going to solve that one.

There are good reasons people don't mod Cup cars for the road; keep them as pure race cars and they make much more sense.

There's a thread on PH of a guy who ran a cup car. Quite a long thread.

Also this is meant to be a road legal cup car 997.

isysman said:
Also this is meant to be a road legal cup car 997.

Ah yes, the extremely rare (as in "never made") RHD Cup car :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back