Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bird s***t

mikezulu

I removed a large blob of the stuff of the bonnet last week. As soon as I could I washed the affected area with car shampoo and used polish on it - but in strong sunlight I can still see faint marks where the deposit had been. Is this where the acid has eaten in to the paint, or is there a proprietary cleaner that will remove the remaining marks?

Light (metallic) T-cut and then wax.

Yea - got a bit obsessed with bird poo last year after the full respray.......every time the car was on the drive it got bombarded and the more I sweated the more they dropped. Alfred Hitchcock did try and warn us........

Best to deal with while they are still wet......when the car is outside stay within 5m and watch carefully!

It sounds like it has eaten into the top layer of lacquer.

Be careful with 'T Cut', it is very aggressive and you don't want to inadvertently polish through the lacquer to the paint below.

A SMART repairer or detailer would use a very fine damp abrasive to cut through the top few microns of lacquer to remove the pitting and then machine polish the area with a mild compound followed by a quality polish.

Prime Porker said:
A SMART repairer or detailer would use a very fine damp abrasive to cut through the top few microns of lacquer to remove the pitting and then machine polish the area with a mild compound followed by a quality polish.

I can guarantee that would take far more lacquer off than a light T-Cut. Although, never use standard T-Cut on lacquered finishes - ALWAYS metallic T-cut.

41XvyjjY4zL.jpg

alex yates said:
Prime Porker said:

I can guarantee that would take far more lacquer off than a light T-Cut. Although, never use standard T-Cut on lacquered finishes - ALWAYS metallic T-cut.

41XvyjjY4zL.jpg

With respect that may not be the case as uniform pressure across a 77mm damp P2000 abrasive disc will remove less lacquer and in a more controlled manner than somebody using T Cut (normal or metallic) on a microfibre cloth and possibly rubbing too hard, creating friction, which burns through the lacquer! I have been called out to rectify such damage on many occasions!

Well it's all down to common sense isn't it!!!

I could rub a hole through the wing if I wanted using T-cut but I'd be an absolute numpty if I did wouldn't I????

If you don't know what you're doing - don't use T-cut, and if that's the case DO NOT try using anything mechanical like a MOP!!!!!

Nuff said!

alex yates said:
Well it's all down to common sense isn't it!!!

I could rub a hole through the wing if I wanted using T-cut but I'd be an absolute numpty if I did wouldn't I????

If you don't know what you're doing - don't use T-cut, and if that's the case DO NOT try using anything mechanical like a MOP!!!!!

Nuff said!

Actually, its quite easy, using the incorrect technique, to 'burn' through the lacquer using T Cut with a microfibre cloth, which is why I would never consider it. Farecla and 3M offer much more forgiving compounds which imo do the job much better than T Cut.

I suppose it's all down to pilot error.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back