Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GROUP BUY, Transmission Mount Inserts from FUNCTION-FIRST

Phil 997

I have been chatting with FUNCTION-FIRST Performance in the USA regarding their transmission mount inserts for the 964/993,996,997,991,986,987,981. models.
These inserts are $130US plus $23.50US shipping, they have kindly offered a forum group buy for 5 or more members and have offered a 15% discount which takes the price to $110.50US plus $15.50US shipping, which is just over £75 plus £10.60 approx shipping to the UK, this represents a great saving and looks like a fantastic upgrade for a great price.
Anyone interested in this offer please add your name so I can keep count and also PM me your email address so FUNCTION-FIRST can send you an invoice directly, when we have the correct number for the group buy. They accept payment through paypal amongst others.

PLEASE NOTE I will not send your email addresses out until we have the correct numbers and I will delete them after the group buy.

www.function-first.com

The OEM transmission mount was designed for ride comfort and is prone to sagging and tearing – above all, it is a detriment to performance. Its empty voids allow for too much transmission movement, resulting in sloppy handling, numbed responsiveness, and imprecise shifting. Racecars utilize a solid metal mount to mediate this, which is impractical for street use as it transfers extreme noise and vibration into the cabin.

So how do you achieve the benefits of a solid mount while retaining daily drivability? FUNCTION-FIRST Performance offers the only available effective and easy to install solution. Our durable urethane rubber insert simply slides in to fill and fortify the empty voids of the OEM mount, preventing premature bushing wear and undesirable transmission movement, all while transmitting minimal added noise and vibration.

The result? Handling is taut and predictable; power delivery is immediate and smooth; gear changes are crisp and confident.

Installation can be completed with basic hand tools in about one hour. Pressing out the stock transmission mount bushing is NOT necessary.

Choose between three hardness levels:
1. TRACK (80A) - for optimized performance on track and racecars
2. STREET (70A) - for added performance on street cars, with less NVH
3. SOFT (60A) - for daily drivability, to restore your OEM mount with minimal NVH

*The 964/993 AWD Inserts are only available in the TRACK hardness level, as there is no perceivable added NVH with this setup.

Attachments

• transmission_mount_bushing_477.png
    transmission_mount_bushing_477.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 10,175
1. Phil 997- 997 tip, yellow street mount.

Excellent bit of kit. Noticed a difference after mine

ChrisT70 said:
Excellent bit of kit. Noticed a difference after mine

Thanks for the review Chris, I hope others are interested as I gave heard really good reports about these and its such a well priced modification as they must all be sagging and not operating any where near 100% on the 993 ,996,997s as most are over 8/10 years old.

£91 + import tax for filling a couple of holes with rubber :eek:

I'm in the wrong game.

I tell you what - I'll manufacture something as good, if not better for £60 each!

alex yates said:
£91 + import tax for filling a couple of holes with rubber :eek:

I'm in the wrong game.

I tell you what - I'll manufacture something as good, if not better for £60 each!

But if you don't do DIY Alex its a good and proven option. Yes I suspect the DIYers would fill the holes with some sort of rubber liquid wait 24 hours and sorted. but I don't do wriggling under cars, so for me and other clean hand peeps it's a good option. :thumb: :grin:
And if you can genuinly produce something your prepared to stand behind and assure me it won't cause any unwanted noise or vibration and that people on forums recommend and say how good it is all for £60 then do it I will have one :bandit: or maybe even two :thumb:

I wasn't meaning that. I was meaning I shall manufacture some sort of polyurethane insert, simliar to the one you posted.......for £60 - free delivery and no import tax....or hassle if something goes wrong - like lost in post :wink:

alex yates said:
I wasn't meaning that. I was meaning I shall manufacture some sort of polyurethane insert, simliar to the one you posted.......for £60 - free delivery and no import tax....or hassle if something goes wrong - like lost in post :wink:

I will still have two one for me and one I can flog for £70 8) "this time next year rodders" :grin: :thumb:

Just a quick update, I have just heard back from FUNCTION-FIRST who had been looking to improve on the shipping cost.
They have been able to repackage in a way that will reduce the shipping to $15.5US so £10.60 approx.So I will adjust the shipping cost at the top of the thread :thumb:

I've got to be honest and say I've not heard of this product or modification before Phil. It's an area of knowledge I'm not familiar with. Have you got anymore information on it. Wondering how and where it's fitted, how it improves throttle response etc, oh and if it voids warranty etc for gen2 & PDK etc.

MNC911 said:
I've got to be honest and say I've not heard of this product or modification before Phil. It's an area of knowledge I'm not familiar with. Have you got anymore information on it. Wondering how and where it's fitted, how it improves throttle response etc, oh and if it voids warranty etc for gen2 & PDK etc.

Morning Mate,
A few of the guys on here have fitted it and everyone that has says it improves things, I understand that over time the transmission mounts get worn and this causes slack in the response with the whole transmission so with the slack removed it make the car much more responsive in a similar way to engine mounts keeping everything tight, the track guys use solid mounts but these cause serious vibration and noise so this company have come up with a more rubber type that absorbs the vibration creating a good middle ground between optimum and usability, it is avail is three hardnesses
1 returns the transmission to a new OE feel
2 adds a bit for a sporty road use
3 track focussed

It slides into the voids in the transmission mount to take up any play/ slack caused through age/wear.

Here's my original thread when I was researching it

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=109846&highlight=transmission+mounts

re the warranty I can't answer that one but in theory the soft one only puts the transmission mounts back to OE original so you would have to get a view from the warranty supplier

This is probably a 'better' way to go,

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/C...ronic_Transmission_carrier__with_85shore.html

161Euros so £126.00 at today's rate, delivered from Germany so no import/customs hasle.
It is the 'Rennline' one, the company from usa who make quality engine mounts, see here,
http://www.rennline.com/HD-Heavy-Duty-Transmission-Bushing/productinfo/S-13002P/
Proper bushes all new, not something to 'push' into an old worn original, and what stops pushed in models falling back out?
OR...... from design911 with a free air freshener to claim free post! :thumb:
http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/basket.aspx

Phill997,
yeah they are similar, the one you are looking at is for 997, i was looking at 996 in my links, but they both indicate a 25% stiffness increase over standard so should not be silly noisy like solids would be, ans look like a straight forward press out/in to install :thumb:
i have just added a link to design911 as they were only £119 with an air freshener :? to claim free post (these fit 996 & 997)
http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/basket.aspx :thumb:

diverzeusy said:
Phill997,
yeah they are similar, the one you are looking at is for 997, i was looking at 996 in my links, but they both indicate a 25% stiffness increase over standard so should not be silly noisy like solids would be, ans look like a straight forward press out/in to install :thumb:
i have just added a link to design911 as they were only £119 with an air freshener :? to claim free post (these fit 996 & 997)
http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/basket.aspx :thumb:

I am looking for a 997 one mate and the one in my link was 95 euro BUT NO FREE AIR FRESHNER . :nooo:
The design 911 link was blank can you redo it.
It makes sense to replace it with a semi solid transmission mount rather than an insert, especially if there is minimal NVH and it is cheaper than the insert. I must admit I had not seen them before . so just need some feedback from someone who has fitted them and it could be a change in direction. :thumb: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back