Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT2 or 964 Turbo for collector

uwiik

Hi all,
long time lurker but first time poster here :D

If I have the option to buy 997 GT2 or 964 Turbo, which one should I buy? :?:

Basically I already own the 997 GT2 2009 White with 11.000KM on odo, just bought it on January, but now somebody offered me a pristine 964 Turbo and I really like the car with 15.000KM on odo. I cannot afford to buy the 964 Turbo right now because I just paid for my GT2 and I have other investment going on, so if I really want the 964 right now I have to sell my other toys or my GT2. Both are equally rare (albeit you're lucky to able to buy one) where I live and both happen to be worth exactly the same here and I can sell my GT2 quick if I wanted to.

Advises are welcome and expected. many thanks in advance :thumbs:

Cheers!!

Hi and :welcome:

What a great position to be in, I would personally love to have a GT2. That said the the 964 Turbo is the more rare car (I think?) so I would buy that and if your situation changes you could get another GT2 down the line?

In any event best of luck with what ever you decide and please post some pics :)

If you are thinking in terms of investment/value potential I reckon that the older car is the way to go. Should be a fair chunk cheaper to own in the long term too I reckon. If not then you have to drive them back to back and go for the one that you genuinely enjoy driving the most.

It is a fantastic problem to have. :thumb:

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Here is where the dilemma comes. There are only 4 pcs of GT2 in the country vs a handful more 964 Turbo and 993 Turbo, rarity wise, GT2 have an advantage here.

Investment wise, I think GT2 will give me more return "IF" I ever need to sell for any reason in the future. By UK pricing standard converted to what it should cost in Indonesia (RHD), current price on my GT2 is still far from what it should be and I believe all GT2s are future classics. The said 964 Turbo is also the former 3.3L, the less powerful model.

I bought my GT2 because I needed something different from my usual old American Muscle stable, so I tried Porsche and I am hooked on it! In heart I have always been an classic car guy, so personally I prefer the 964, but in the same time it was also 997 GT2 that got me hooked on Porsche.

I am actually considering to sell the American muscles, so I can keep both Porsches. However, to afford 964 Turbo I basically have to sell my entire stable of American Muscle effectively ending my love affairs with old V8, I don't know if I am ready for that.

I might sound indecisive, but this is a much more serious matter where I live compared to the situation in UK. With extremely few public road registered examples around, chance like this probably don't come very often in one's entire life. Importing and registering used car for public road use is possible in UK, here in Indonesia the import of used car is only allowed for non public road use and I don't want a car I cannot use legally whenever I like.

Keep the GT2. 964 3.3 not special enough IMO and crap to drive. They do look good though :thumb:

IMI A said:
Keep the GT2. 964 3.3 not special enough IMO and crap to drive. They do look good though :thumb:

Is it because it's a 3.3 or 964 Turbo is just not so nice to drive? Yes they do look so damn good.

Here are some pics of the GT2 having custom exhaust measured and some TLC. Sorry for crappy pics.

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Keep the GT2

The 3.3 is such a good looking car though.

Now if it was the 3.6 aka 965 in black, then the GT2 would be for sale. Its my favorite Turbo !!

uwiik said:
Here are some pics of the GT2 having custom exhaust measured and some TLC. Sorry for crappy pics.

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Blimey your brave sending it to a garage like that, and what was being done on the second picture?

ha well the cover has less than 7000 miles so i would have though it would still have the STD wheels.

uwiik said:
IMI A said:

Is it because it's a 3.3 or 964 Turbo is just not so nice to drive? Yes they do look so damn good.

Both but as someone else says if it was a 964 3.6 Turbo then maybe but 3.3 no way its a mass produced car. Your GT2 is a rare car and fantastic drive :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back