Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Electroplated brake discs

Zub-911

Guys,

I have ordered some new brake discs for the 996 and am thinking of getting them electroplated to prevent the non-friction surfaces from rusting.

Possibly Zinc, Cadmium or galvanised.

I hate it when the outer and inner surfaces begin to corrode along with the drilled holes and vents.

(I appreciate the coating will wear off the friction surface very quickly and would not have this done if there was a way to mask it off, but the process dictates that it needs to be coated.)

I normally paint with zinc rich coating to stop rust but this only lasts a year or so and i want to step it up a notch to reduce maintenance and ease cleaning. Possibly even prolong the life of the disc.

Has anyone else ever had this done or enquired/discussed it. I have found a company that offer it as a service for £24/pair in the uk.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards.

Neil

Plating the new discs would be a complete and utter waste of time and money IMHO, they would look great until you touched the brake pedal and contaminated the pads. One of my customers ( Jaguar cars ) when I was involved in brake disc development used to grind and then plate their discs in lovely red, blue and gold colours................which would be immediately destroyed when the brakes were applied :grin:

You would be better off masking the mounting surface, pad contact surface and wheel mounting surface and them dipping them in a very thinned out hammerite direct to metal paint a few times, it may last for 12 months or so :dont know:

Porsche discs are made from compressed rust flakes as far as I can tell, it`s just part of the Porsche way of life, unless you opt for PCCB`s of course :grin:

Hi buddy,

Thanks for your reply, but you completely missed the point here.
I did say that I understand the friction face in contact with the pad would wear off almost immediate and that's ok.

It's the non friction surfaces I want to protect such as the inside of of the vent veins, cross drilled holes, outer edge and inner hub part.

These surfaces can become unsightly when they begin to rust and electroplating wil stop this...

I know painting can prevent this for a while but no as long as plating will.
Paint also becomes baked, charred and dirty looking as he brakes are used..

Regards.
N

Clean and spray the whole disc with zinc oxide spray (about £15 off eBay Here). That will protect the non friction parts and dont worry about the disc faces where the pads are as they will clear the paint on first use.

Bosch discs come like this from the factory :grin:

Thank you for the reply,

I usually use hammerite to coat the non friction parts, but you simply cannot get into the internals of the holes and cooling veins with the paint.
Therefore every time the brakes get wet from road or washing, water sits in the internals, causing corrosion from the inside out.

Painting is a simple and cheap but not a robust solution..

I still favour electroplating.. You will not end up having to paint every year and they will simply not rust.

Thanks. N

Electroplating sounds like an interesting concept, not sure how well it will still stand up to the heat of braking.

For how little it costs its worth trying

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back