Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMW M535 Touring

Osh

Afternoon guys

Mrs Osh is currently running around in a 2015 Honda CRV – it's a nice car and its provided on a short term contract hire as a company car; its due to go back off-fleet in June.

We're seriously thinking of ditching the contract hire method and buying a car instead. I was originally toying with the idea of a second hand Range Rover Sport or a Cayenne, maybe a Q7 something of that ilk, however, we have two dogs and I'm now thinking of an estate car instead.

Right now I am focusing on a BMW F10 M535 Touring; these can be picked up for an absolute snip 5 or 6 year old with all the bells and whistles on from around £5,000. OK – that will be an example with a heck of a lot of miles (150k+) or I could get something 4 years old with c50k miles and every conceivable extra for around £15,000.

Just wondered if anyone on here had any experience of the M535 and what they are like; if you've had one what was your experience of it...?? Expensive to keep or simple and trouble free...?? Would you buy another or avoid like the plague

Any help or comments gratefully received

(Title edited so as not to upset the M-snobs!) :thumb:

Osh

Osh,

My previous car was an E60 530d and I spent quite a bit of time on BMWLAND forum. Sadly, due to the death of Matt who was the forum admin the site is now closed.

However, there was a guy on there, Peter, who bought a 535i touring and was full of praise for it. You don't say whether you are thinking about petrol or diesel but both cars are excellent.

The only question is your budget. Unless you have connections somewhere I am not aware of, I'm pretty sure you won't find a 4 year old car for £15k.

I considered replacing my E60 with an F10 but the cost jump was huge.

Hope that helps.

jpsh120 said:
Osh,

My previous car was an E60 530d and I spent quite a bit of time on BMWLAND forum. Sadly, due to the death of Matt who was the forum admin the site is now closed.

However, there was a guy on there, Peter, who bought a 535i touring and was full of praise for it. You don't say whether you are thinking about petrol or diesel but both cars are excellent.

The only question is your budget. Unless you have connections somewhere I am not aware of, I'm pretty sure you won't find a 4 year old car for £15k.

Hope that helps.

Hi m8 - it would be the twin turbo diesel.

Osh

Sorry but as an M car snob you're looking at a 535d (M-sport maybe), not an M5 ;)

Also there's no way that a 50k mile F10 535d goes for £15k. Do you have a link??

I toyed with the idea of getting something on lease/contract hire for my wife recently. She has/had an X5.

In the end I couldn't get the car I wanted through business lease so bought her a 2nd hand Range Rover Sport TDV8. Black with ivory white leather. Its a lovely looking thing and on a different level in terms of luxury compared to the X5.

The V8 diesel engine is deceptively quick and makes quite a nice noise for a diesel...

ragpicker said:
I toyed with the idea of getting something on lease/contract hire for my wife recently. She has/had an X5.

In the end I couldn't get the car I wanted through business lease so bought her a 2nd hand Range Rover Sport TDV8. Black with ivory white leather. Its a lovely looking thing and on a different level in terms of luxury compared to the X5.

The V8 diesel engine is deceptively quick and makes quite a nice noise for a diesel...

Hi RP

yeah, saw one of your threads on the RRS site (and someone from here replied to you - small world!)

I think the Range Rover Sport might be the next steps after the 535M - think the thing that finally swayed my mind was the dogs and the lower tailgate level to get them in and out...

The car you have bought sounds wonderful - have you got a link to it...??

Thanks

Osh

Osh said:
jpsh120 said:
Osh,

Hope that helps.

Hi m8 - it would be the twin turbo diesel.

Osh

OK, well fabulous car and a beautiful interior but still think you'll be doing well to get one that new for that ££ (if you can please let me know your secret) :)

The E60 is also worth considering, mine was superb. Looks apparently divide opinion but I think it still looks good, especially considering it is a 13 year old design.

You'd easily get a late 2009 car or possibly even 2010 as the tourer ran slightly longer than the saloon. 530 would be easier to find but can be remapped (F10 cannot) to 535 equivalent figures. Spec is good on the msport models and some had the sports auto box with flappy paddles.

Good luck with the search either way, if you have any questions specific to the E60 I'm happy to try and help.

Jason.

As an ///M snob I won't rise to the thread title, good job it's not on a BMW forum though :grin:

Osh said:
ragpicker said:

Hi RP

yeah, saw one of your threads on the RRS site (and someone from here replied to you - small world!)

I think the Range Rover Sport might be the next steps after the 535M - think the thing that finally swayed my mind was the dogs and the lower tailgate level to get them in and out...

The car you have bought sounds wonderful - have you got a link to it...??

Thanks

Osh

Yeah they are nice cars.

I haven't got a link but will post a pic or two up at some point when I get chance.

It was nice being welcomed onto a different forum by someone from here! But he also told me off for talking about Porsches at the same time!

Even though I love the RR, my heart truly lies in Stuttgart...... :grin:

I've got a 335d M Sport X Drive and it is superb. I didn't want the extra width and weight, as I live in the country and there are some narrow lanes near us. I came out from a 635d, which is the coupe version of the 535d. It drove superbly, but, as above, the weight and width and lack of useable rears did it for me.

I actually owned the 635d, but realised I was losing about the same each month as it would cost me to get the 335d per month. I started looking at 320's, then 330's, but BMW are giving huge discounts on new 335d's.

If you decide to go new, drop me a PM and I'll tell you of a couple of dealers who are way less than many others. Got a mate £2k off a 2nd hand one recently for just 2 calls.

Enjoy your new motor and go onto the BMW forums for their feedback. Oh, and it is no M5, but probably more usable in the real world. Bit like a turbo vs a C2. Easy to drive with plenty of oomph.

I will sleep better now the title has been changed. An M5 would be great though.
MC

MisterCorn said:
I will sleep better now the title has been changed. An M5 would be great though.
MC
I won't. Not until every trace of the letter M has been removed :D

An M535 should refer to this, the car that started it all!

bmw_5_series_e28_m535i_1-750x500.jpg

I'm on my third F10 Bmw the first one was a saloon and second two are touring (F11) they were all in M Sport spec but 520d not a 535d They are a fantastic car with a brilliant 8 speed auto box. You will struggle to find a 535d and if you do I doubt very much £15k will buy it unless it has more miles than the millennium falcon. I also had an E60 525d m sport and agree that they are also a great car but are now starting to look old. Why not get the F10 530d m sport and get it remapped, after all, it's the same engine as the 535d. Good luck with your search.

Or a bit out of left field what about 3.0 jag xf estate. Lots of car for less money. Nicely screwed together too. Only bummer is mpg if it matters

Benjs said:
Or a bit out of left field what about 3.0 jag xf estate. Lots of car for less money. Nicely screwed together too. Only bummer is mpg if it matters

Jag??? If you do buy a Jag then don't start a thread making us guess what you bought.... :sad: :sad: Sorry Terry :mrt: 8

My dad has an old Discovery that he uses for towing, I was using it for a couple of weeks and then started looking at RR's/RR Sport's.

In the end I went for a VW T5 Shuttle, I was looking for a Caravelle but ended up with the shuttle instead. It does everything you could ever want, a bit big and you can't go sideways in it but I can not fault it.

We bought an estate 4 years ago but it was never 'big enough' :frustrated:

I looked at the BMW 535 back then as it was the only estate that was Diesel and quick. But when you look for a certain car, you end up noticing them about, and all I could ever see was Audi and BMW estates EVERYWHERE! So we went for a Volvo V50 D5 and been really pleased with it...except for the space issue so I had to buy a roof box :eek:ld:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back