Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 PCM-delete options

Roro

Has anyone removed their PCM unit and replaced with a blank storage area?

I'm thinking about it. Not to save weight, but because I reckon the PCM 2.x is rubbish and I never use it anyway. Very clunky and it's look dated since launch. I don't use the stereo either. So I'd rather have that space as a super size cubby for a smartphone instead

There must be a sensible way to leave a jack lead to charge and play music from the mobile device if I really want to as well?

Has anyone on the forum done anything like this?

If so did you miss the PCM?

PCM from a 997.1 is a VHS in a digital era

but I dont think anyone has done this intentionally

Part number
98755367100A05

Attachments

• pcmdelete_178.jpg
    pcmdelete_178.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 13,787
PCM 3 retrofit with phone integration is actually possible... :?:

Otherwise you will want the PCM delete parts from the option on the RS/Cayman R/Box Spyder. No idea whether any of the solutions for plumbing a line-in into the 997.1 will work without either a CDR or PCM console though (I'd be surprised if the amp worked without, so you may be facing ditching that and replacing everything North of the speakers to make it work). Given that there are people out there who have replaced the PCM unit with an iPad Mini it won't be impossible with the right parts thrown at it though.

You'd have to really really want PCM3 to do it. As it will cost +/- £2000 to install and that's if you install it yourself.

Just my 2p but PCM is crap compared to idrive.
I'd even go as far to say that Mercs Command system is better than PCM and that's pretty rubbish as well.

The part in the pic above is more what I had in mind. While I agree PCM 3 is much better, I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost, I'm better off with that shelf. I'll try and call the local OPC today to get an idea on price and availability. Replacing with an iPad mini sounds interesting though, any more info on that? I presume that's not a permanent install and it can be removed when leaving the car unattended? Hadn't thought about the amp system not being controllable without the PCM! :grin: Indeed if that is going after all then may as well ditch the speakers too, although I think that would be a lot of extra unnecessary effort as the objective isn't really to save weight although that wouldn't do any harm...

Looks like the shelf was an option on the GT3 RS 4.0 [edit: as Colin mentioned above]

2011-porsche-911-gt3-rs-4-5w.jpg

£66+vat for the delete shelf thingy ... Tempting.. Will add this to my growing to do list :grin:
:thumb:

isysman said:
You'd have to really really want PCM3 to do it. As it will cost +/- £2000 to install and that's if you install it yourself.

How much would charge to do this? :)

apollokre1d said:
isysman said:

How much would charge to do this? :)

About £10k! Haha Wouldn't want to do this job again. Once was enough.

Fair enough I heard it was a nightmare. Hopefully in the next couple of years there will be places offering that service.

apollokre1d said:
Fair enough I heard it was a nightmare. Hopefully in the next couple of years there will be places offering that service.

Doubt it really. Limited value in in as only a few people want it. Do it yourself. It's a pain but it's worth it.

Cheers Roro that might actually be a good option when the times comes.
If not maybe I'll go with isysman's suggestion.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back