Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Prepare for 991 GT3 freefall - manuals on their way!

GT4

porsche_911_gt3_facelift_03.jpg

Autocar said:
The Porsche 911 GT3 has been spied testing, with a subtly refreshed front-end.

The test mule wore very little disguise when spied previously, so it's clear to see that the deep, redesigned front spoiler, air intakes and new LED indicators are the extent of the changes, with the rest of the car's styling carried over from the current model, including the slit grilles at the front and back, large rear wing and central twin exhausts. Black plastic cladding was riveted on for this latest set of spies, making it more difficult to make out the front-end styling of the new car.

The 911 GT3's manual-only, driver dynamics-focused sibling, the 911 R, was revealed at the Geneva motor show, where it was also revealed by GT3 guru Andreas Preuninger that the facelifted 911 GT3 would gain the option of a six-speed manual gearbox when it goes on sale in 2017.

The test mule was also running on what appear to be new wheels with a multi-spoke design. However, previous spies of the closely related 911 R still use the same alloys as the outgoing GT3.

Despite the rest of the 911 range now being turbocharged for added efficiency and reduced emissions, the facelifted car will maintain the naturally aspirated 3.8-litre engine of the current generation GT3.

The current 911 GT3 pumps out 468bhp and 324 lb ft, which combined with its 1430kg kerb weight, equates to a 0-62mph sprint which is over in just 3.5sec and a top speed of 196mph.

Porsche couldn't give any further details on the upcoming 911 range-topper, but we do know that the 911 R, which is the manual-only variant on the GT3 format, will share its manual gearbox with the 911 GT3.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...911-gt3-spied-will-gain-manual-gearbox-option

It is nice that they listen to their "fussy customers" :)

what are the thoughts on 991 GT3 dropping below 997.2 GT3 prices? There seems to be overlap in pricing coming into the market.

I know you may have had your tongue in your cheek when you wrote the title, but I'm not sure we will see a 'freefall' in 991 GT3 prices when the facelifted GT3 arrives. Remember that the PDK is still a superior gearbox when it comes to wringing every last millisecond out of a laptime, so the hardcore track guys will still want the dual-clutcher.
The world seems GT/RS crazy at the moment so I think the PDK's will hold up fine.
They could well be some of the last N/A GT3's too which will only drive the prices higher.

I remember hearing about something called a "GT4" which also has a manual gearbox thingy. That could potentially be the 'real' bargain if the next GT3 is manual :grin:

It will have a manual option, the weren't going to r & d a new six speed box for 991 R cars only.... still a big car that needs rws 😀 Not sure it will make a lot of difference unless a load come on the market and most of the folks that bought them did so because of Pdk I thought, not in spite of it.

In view of Senoj's post, perhaps the real free fall will be in the 997 GT3 :dontknow:

If the PDK 991 GT3 did make its own (new) market, and those old guard that didn't warm to it kept their manual 997 GT3s, or got out their cheque books and bought into the manual 997 GT3s (hence the price rise).

To paraphrase:

Porsche 997 GT3, now there is a substitute!

:grin:

GT4 said:
In view of Senoj's post, perhaps the real free fall will be in the 997 GT3 :dontknow:

If the PDK 991 GT3 did make its own (new) market, and those old guard that didn't warm to it kept their manual 997 GT3s, or got out their cheque books and bought into the manual 997 GT3s (hence the price rise).

To paraphrase:

Possible but still RWS , and no Mezger..all depends on numbers made i think more than anything..

To be fair, I was being particularly emotive in my use of the phrase "free fall".

I suspect the most the 991.2 GT3 will do is arrest the rise of the 997 GT3 somewhat.

Brexit is probably a higher risk factor, but that's another thread entirely :grin:

GT4 said:

To paraphrase:

Indeed i did think similar when I heard about the 991 manual GT3. However I thought it was nice of Porsche to provide a buffer for us 997 owners in the form of the GT4 :grin:

We'll find out soon enough... 8)

As good as the GT4 is, and indeed any other claim to the throne from other marques, it has the same problem it has always had: it isn't a 911.

FZP said:
what are the thoughts on 991 GT3 dropping below 997.2 GT3 prices? There seems to be overlap in pricing coming into the market.

They made a lot more 991s (the number that has crept out is much more than previously believed - over 3100) than they did 997.2s. It wouldn't come as a surprise if the more numerous (and more expensive to own) newer car ended up worth less. If where values go is your thing then you really ought to be looking at the 996.1 Clubsport and the 996 RS IMHO though. Comparatively (in the long term) the newer cars are likely to be a red herring.

General footnote for this thread though. Even though manuals are likely coming, that doesn't necessarily mean that many of the people who end up actually being allocated cars will specify it. I'd be surprised if manuals even made up a quarter of the production personally... :?:

Disco said:
General footnote for this thread though. Even though manuals are likely coming, that doesn't necessarily mean that many of the people who end up actually being allocated cars will specify it. I'd be surprised if manuals even made up a quarter of the production personally... :?:

I couldn't agree with you more. I seems to me pretty clear that Porsche were
targeting a new audience (Ferrari, McLaren peddlers, amongst others)with the
introduction of the PDK 991 GT3. Dinosaurs like us who rather like having the
optional third pedal are now very much in the minority...

And yes, I did very much want a manual 991 RS !

:wink:

Disco said:
Comparatively (in the long term) the newer cars are likely to be a red herring.

In the long term the manual older cars will become obsolete as driverless cars are introduced and subsequent laws that eventually stop non-automated cars from using the same road.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back