Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne engine issues ?

Gmog84

Hi there I have just joined as I am thinking about buying a cayenne. One massive worry for me it the engine horror stories I read on other forums. The main things I have read about is engine liners failing. Then further reading says this isn't the case. I am sure this must have come up before on here so apologies in advance.

Hi, I would find your local Porsche indy service guys and drop in have a chat, as I am not familiar with the cayenne but with the 911 different models engine sizes etc can be what makes one a potential problem and another not so much. And the same with auto v manual boxes. So get all the info you can and decide which model engine etc is where your going.
Also as you haven't mentioned budget or age of vehicle if you want to be risk free Porsche are now putting warranties on vehicles up to 15 years old it will need an 111 point check first but that's the safest way to do it. It doesn't have to have come from that OPC for them to do that. good luck in your search.
:thumb: :thumbs:

Welcome :thumb:

There are a few issues with cayenne's. I've not heard of any liner issues :dont know:
Bore scoring on the v6 I've heard of,
Coolant pipe issues on the v8, most have been fixed by now,
Prop shaft issues ( nothing major)
Electrical gremlins, (plenty but easy to fix mostly)
If in doubt get it checked out
:thumb:

there aren't any horror stories, cases of badly maintained cars then suffering failures but a solid engine, which one are you looking at since it's in V6, V8, Diesel, Petrol or Hybrid...

Early Gen 1 NA V8's original plastic coolant pipes caused issues (but a recall changed them to aluminium ones).

The liner problem mentioned above was again an early Gen 1 problem with the S's Lokasil cylinder-coating failure.

Any greater use of oil or pinking/misfire is a sign the bores and pistons are about to shred.

Later S and all Turbos were made with a Nikasil coating which gives no trouble.

Hi, thanks for the reply's. My budget is around 15k so looking at a late gen1 or early gen2 look at the current prices on autotrader.
Definitely a V8 and if there is a nice one around at time of purchase maybe a turbo!

Hi
A good friend of mine has had his 2008 Cayenne turbo as a DD for about 5 years now and has had issues with the panoramic sunroof, air suspension and more recently the cam timing - this was an engine out to rectify as the chains etc needed replacing.

To be fair, quite similar issues as my X5 4.8 (apart from the chains) and there are enough indie's around without going to a dealer all the time.

A fab car but a warranty is definitely worth considering (or budget accordingly)

HTH

snb993 said:
Hi
A good friend of mine has had his 2008 Cayenne turbo as a DD for about 5 years now and has had issues with the panoramic sunroof, air suspension and more recently the cam timing - this was an engine out to rectify as the chains etc needed replacing.

To be fair, quite similar issues as my X5 4.8 (apart from the chains) and there are enough indie's around without going to a dealer all the time.

A fab car but a warranty is definitely worth considering (or budget accordingly)

HTH

I've heard of camshaft sensors failing ( quite common) £50 on eBay, valve timing is a new one on me,

Drive shafts only last up to 100k but can need replacing as early as 70k

As with any big car, there can be the odd oil drip

Gmog84 said:
Hi, thanks for the reply's. My budget is around 15k so looking at a late gen1 or early gen2 look at the current prices on autotrader.
Definitely a V8 and if there is a nice one around at time of purchase maybe a turbo!

finally which one have u choosen.........!!!!!!!!! :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back