Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Formula 1 Qualifying - whose idea was that?

rpm

Got up early to watch qualy for the Australian GP this morning.

Unbelievable nonsense - yes lets watch the majority of the cars staying in the pit garage!!

Fortunately for me I didn't watch it until 8am but I was still very angry. :evil:

Nikki Lauda was the one to spill the beans as to whose idea it was. A = Bernie and Todt !!!

All the teams agreed to it as the reason it would keep the commercial boys happy and it was the best of a few even worse ideas on the table but all the engineers/ drivers / pundits knew it wouldn't work.

I can't ever recall such a flat atmosphere after a Quali' session. :nooo:

Hopefully we'll be back to 2015 style for Bahrain.

Absolutely fcking crazy ........ I am hating it ....... and Channel 4 fcking sucks ...... :(

The end of the session should be exciting ........ and now it is nothing ....... and I am waiting to see the first big pile up when all the cars rush out on track early ........ yup it's an accident waiting to happen ........ morons.

It`s a joke isn`t it :dont know:

Yet another reason to give up watching F1 :nooo:

Not to worry MotoGP starts this weekend too. F1 has bored me rigid for quite some time...

I must be a masochist as I've just re-watched it, this time on C4, albeit mostly in f/fwd to see if it was really as bad as when I watched it earlier.

It was.

Pole was known with 4 mins and 18 seconds of the session still to run !!!!.

The only bit that made me chuckle was that DC and his mate didn't realise what a debacle it was until they were left watching an empty track and had to fill time for the last 3 minutes. That, and the bloke waving a chequered flag to absolutely nobody.

An ill-conceived idea for qualifying that does nothing to enhance the sport to its fan base at neither the track nor on television. :?

The "halo" protection loop is in a similar not-thought-out vain. :nooo:

rpm said:
Got up early to watch qualy for the Australian GP this morning.

Unbelievable nonsense - yes lets watch the majority of the cars staying in the pit garage!!

agreed, a complete shambles

Me too, awful. I remember the Senna years when he times his final run to perfection crossing the line for pole secs before the flag fell. Edge of the seat stuff rather than edge of sleep stuff.

There's an old saying which the prats haven't heard of 'if it hasn't broke don't fix it'!

Is F1 really about racing when teams get lapped race after race & yet they're allowed to turn up and be on the grid knowing full well they'll never be on the podium.

It's a procession... i see more action watching a tortoise eating a lettuce leaf.

my personal opinion the 70's & 80's was racing

It wasn't good to watch for the punters, interesting to hear LH and JB reaction - the drivers didn't seem to mind - they obviously have no idea what's happening outside there car especially with no verbal comms.

I reckon it would work if they fuelled the cars for the full 15 mins and had tyres that would last with the slowest cars being eliminated as the session goes - maybe even give the drivers stun guns to take out the faster cars and fit the wheels with large spears to destroy tyres and body work. That would up the viewing figures!

New qualifying scrapped. Good.

lofi said:

Haven't heard that but hardly surprising.

This lot have disappeared up thier own rear ends long ago.

Its the latest debacle from a group of people who are so out of touch with real life it's laughable, especially for such a relatively intelligent group!

They need a dictator with some vision. Theres a fella running a company called SRO, Stephane Ratel, who seems to have a good handle on it for sports car racing. Decent BOP and good to watch with some decent multi class racing. If sky, bbc, C4 etc dumped F1 and spent the same amount of money broadcasting this we would all be much happier and then F1 really would have to put away all their self serving agengdas and make some changes. Except they wouldn't because of just that, too much money, too many w4nkers with big salaries to protect.

Who gives a flying ***** about hybrid f1 cars, stick the whole grid in a gp2 car and 95% of the "fans" they are so desperately out of touch with wouldnt know the difference. For years now they know that overtaking potential is all we want to see and that to do this the cars need to be far less dependant on downforce, slipstreaming needs to be viable, it's really that simple. So what do they do to spice up the show? 1. They work on increasing lap times which actually means more downforce, less overtaking and 2. They change the qualifying format that was the only bit that actually was almost entertaining.

Who is actually in charge these days? The group think stuff is an absolute shambles.

lofi said:

It didn't get voted through :sad:

The new format will remain until at least after the next race :evil:

T8 said:
lofi said:

It didn't get voted through :sad:

The new format will remain until at least after the next race :evil:

Well I won't bother watching the next race qualifying then.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back