Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT2 Prices

jotaking

Just after some thoughts on the 997 GT2.

On the face of it these are rare beasts, however I think this is more about being an acquired taste rather than being a limited run?

That said...looking at 996 gt2 prices the 997 looks like a safe bet?

Also...gt2rs prices are stratospheric...you would think the gt2 would follow?

Any thoughts...please chime in?

Thoughts on what? What are you looking for from a car? Comfortable A-B, fastest 0-100kph or just an 'investment'?

Personally I am not interested, too quick for most roads.

MC

All GT cars made by Porsche are iimited runs, the GT2 is no exception.

RS prices are due to 500 cars worldwide. GT2 prices will never equal but they have gone up massively in the last three years. Three years ago you could buy a GT2 for £70,000, now they are changing hands for £170,000.

I've been in the market for a nice 7 GT2 for a few years. JZM had a lovely white one but it had a RR5 reading. They were asking £95k 18 months ago and I think I offered £87.5k but it was turned down. Top 555 have the car initially marketed it at £160k but its now circa £13+k. Been in classifieds for yonks.

At the same time there was a fellow who had a low miles red GT2. I contacted him via PH and he informed me he would contact me when he decided to sell. I made him an offer which I thought he could not refuse at the time of £110k. He turned it down and Porsche announced there will not be another GT2.

Prices then shot up but I know of only one 2000 mile white GT2 that sold for £130k and fair enough it was very low miles. I think Leicester OPC sold a few at decent prices too and they paid decent prices for these cars too but there have only been 2-3 trades at higher levels and this does not mean this is where the market is to me.

The red GT2 was offered to me 6-12 months ago by the owner at £150k as this is what a dealer had apparently offered him or valued it at. It went on SOR at dealer for £150k+ then was reduced to £140k+ then quietly disappeared from classifieds recently.

Personally I think 6 and 7 GT2s have some way to fall as Porsche have now confirmed they ARE making 991 GT2 and GT2 RS.

The offer i made the very pleasant fellow of £110k 18 months ago for a 13,000 mile was I think a more than fair offer (in fact it was full offer at the time) and if you were to be able to get someone in the trade to buy rather than SOR this is what the might pay you if you're lucky but remember dealers don't like buying these for stock as GT2 has always been a very illiquid market. I was buying it to use it at track and thats the sort of buyer that is attracted to these cars IMO.

At current GT2 prices anyone in their right mind would rather buy a Macca, Lambo or Fezza and personally the GT2 does not hold a candle to their offerings at £130-150k ish.

If the red GT2 owner still has the car I'm all ears if you still own it :D :thumbs:

Global production totals of both the 996 and 997 GT2 were a bit over 1250 cars each and there were 500 GT2 RSs made. If you were after UK cars, there were 129 996 GT2, 62 997 GT2 and either 19 or 24 GT2RS (conflicting sources, but if I had to call it I'd go with the higher number) when I went number hunting a while back.

I don't think that the non-RS values will follow the RS to the moon price-wise, however in UK spec at least - less than half the number of 997s came in as the 996 ergo the 997 has rarity on its side to appreciate somewhat more than the older car. For bonus points - find one that isn't white (white was very popular when they were launched and the only non-white UK ones that I can remember seeing in the metal were a couple in silver and Gav's black one. I have actually seen RSs in more colours).

Projecting prices to the future is tricky though. They are nothing like as rare as the 993 GT2 (57 globally, 7 UK cars), so don't even dream that they will go to lunacy money.

isysman said:
Wow only 57 993s globally?

Indeed, and that comes into even shaper focus when you consider that officially they were in production for 5 years as well ('93-'98 ). And that kind of rarity and provenance is how a car can reach 7 figures in 20 years.

That is road cars though - I don't have a number for racing cars and they did build quite a few of those.

But the point remains : 996/997 GT2s are each well over 20 times as numerous, and even the RS is practically an order of magnitude less scarce.

IMI A said:
https://thecarspy.wordpress.com/2011/12/22/2010-60-porsche-911-gt2-rs-in-aqua-blue-for-sale/

This sat around my local OPC for months at £160k - didn't have the gumption to buy it . Well done to whoever did! :thumb:

Did not know they were delivered in that colour... Very nice :)

apollokre1d said:
IMI A said:
https://thecarspy.wordpress.com/2011/12/22/2010-60-porsche-911-gt2-rs-in-aqua-blue-for-sale/

This sat around my local OPC for months at £160k - didn't have the gumption to buy it . Well done to whoever did! :thumb:

Did not know they were delivered in that colour... Very nice :)

It was the only one (in the UK at least) and was a PTS special order. Off the menu you could only have black (either flat or basalt), white, silver or red.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The car looked so purposeful in the flesh in that colour but I felt it was too much money for a 911 - more fool me. Plus the small matter of dropping £160k into something I perceived as so frivolous when I have school fees coming out of my ears. Little did I know that the uplift in value would have paid for two public school educations and I'd have my dream car in the garage to boot. Oh well. One day Rodney :grin:

IMI A said:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The car looked so purposeful in the flesh in that colour but I felt it was too much money for a 911 - more fool me. Plus the small matter of dropping £160k into something I perceived as so frivolous when I have school fees coming out of my ears. Little did I know that the uplift in value would have paid for two public school educations and I'd have my dream car in the garage to boot. Oh well. One day Rodney :grin:

Just build your own!

isysman said:
IMI A said:

Just build your own!

To build a school to avoid the fees would be some achievement, but could be worth the effort.
MC

MisterCorn said:
isysman said:
IMI A said:

Just build your own!

To build a school to avoid the fees would be some achievement, but could be worth the effort.
MC

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back