Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

G-Techniq C5 wheel Armour - Updated How to!

CarreraMonkey

This stuff is relatively new to me, but is pretty well known generally.

C5 is a nano coating (a type of sealant) that chemically bonds to the surface of your wheel and provides a very hard coating that resists muck and brake dust, meaning that it will literally just run off with a hose. This means keeping wheels clean becomes a much easier proposition. 8)

When applied correctly, it will last for up to 18 months as well, which is pretty spectacular really. :eek:

The key with all nano coatings is to prepare the surface really well. My wheels were only painted a week ago and cleaned thoroughly before this treatment, but if you're uncertain, give them a good going over with iron and tar remover and then wash them thoroughly.

IMAG1420_zpsq3zbziz6.jpg

First thing is to get your stuff together. I bought a C5 applications pack from a vendor on ebay. It included a small bottle of C5, a bottle of panel wipe, some applicator pads and a couple of MF cloths.

IMAG1419_zpsl1hygput.jpg

Wear gloves for all of this process!!

I started out by soaking a cloth is the panel wipe and giving the wheel one more going over. It's importnat to use panel wipe as it doesn't leave a residue and will thoroughly clean any remaining contaminants off.

IMAG1423_zpsgrgbkhh6.jpg

Then buff off to leave a streak free finish.

IMAG1424_zpslcwfi4yy.jpg

Next put the C5 onto the applicator pad. Don't hold the bottle, the heat of your hand will cause it to start going off in the bottle.

Carefully wipe the entire wheel with the applicator pad. I would top the pad up about half way round. This stuff is clear and you cant see it, but with all this stuff, I don't think it needs over application.

IMAG1427_zpsgxlmgyy6.jpg

Use a clean pad for each wheel.

Once coated, gently buff of the C5 with a clean MF cloth. Keep turning the cloth as you'll see that the C5 you've wiped off starts to set on the cloth. Turning it prevents too much building up in one spot.

IMAG1429_zpsiregsfhq.jpg

Now make sure that the wheels don't get wet for 12 hours..

And that's it.

Plenty of info on youtube, including this very helpful tutorial from Gtechniq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDCHSKF7-4

Great write-up. :thumb:

Had C5 on for almost 2 years. Wheels were removed from the car so that the C5 could also be applied to the inner rims.

It is still as effective now as it was when it was first applied. :lol:

DRZ911 said:
Great write-up. :thumb:

Had C5 on for almost 2 years. Wheels were removed from the car so that the C5 could also be applied to the inner rims.

It is still as effective now as it was when it was first applied. :lol:

This makes perfect sense for sure - the insides will really benefit from it.

I just didn't have the time to do them. I will take them off at some point this spring and do the insides too.

Another excellent write up! GTechniq stuff is amazing. I had tried pretty much every single black plastic trim product on the market and none of them lived up to what they promised. Used GT C4 and was stunned - returned them to black and they have stayed black!

I always bin the MFs after as well as the GTechniq stuff turns into tiny little crystals which will destroy your paint should you accidentally use one on it. Either that or keep them separate and use them for engine bay, wheel arch etc.

Jamie© said:
I always bin the MFs after as well as the GTechniq stuff turns into tiny little crystals which will destroy your paint should you accidentally use one on it. Either that or keep them separate and use them for engine bay, wheel arch etc.

I can quite believe this!The cloth does start to go stiff from contact with the C5.

Knowing that now, I'll use the cheap / tired cloths when I do it to the blue car.

Out of interest how would you suggest applying it to rims with fiddly stuff, like 3 piece rims with their silly fasteners all around the rim?

The gt3 style wheels on the blue car are such a faff to clean!

Pretty much exactly how you've done it mate, it's no different just a real ballache. On the plus side, as you know, once you've put the initial effort in it pays it back in dividends by the way the dirt rinses off so easily the next time you wash your car.

I must admit, I was so desperate to have my 911 back on the road after I had my wheels refurb'd I never actually applied it. It's going in for a full correction before Dinslaken so I'll get the boys to do it then.

Jamie© said:
Pretty much exactly how you've done it mate, it's no different just a real ballache. On the plus side, as you know, once you've put the initial effort in it pays it back in dividends by the way the dirt rinses off so easily the next time you wash your car.
I was hoping that you may come up with some clever way of doing it. :?

Will ask on DW. :D

CarreraMonkey said:

Try Gtechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover brushed in and around all your nooks and crannies on the wheels. Then rinse, dry and then apply the C5.

It is amazing what the W6 removes without any damage to any of the surfaces.

DRZ911 said:
CarreraMonkey said:

Try Gtechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover brushed in and around all your nooks and crannies on the wheels. Then rinse, dry and then apply the C5.

But is there an easy way to apply the c5 to,the fiddly bits? Like with a brush or something?

CarreraMonkey said:
DRZ911 said:
CarreraMonkey said:

But is there an easy way to apply the c5 to,the fiddly bits? Like with a brush or something?

Used a few good quality cotton wool buds dipped in C5. The buds fit into most places.

DRZ911 said:
CarreraMonkey said:
DRZ911 said:
CarreraMonkey said:

Used a few good quality cotton wool buds dipped in C5. The buds fit into most places.

Sorry CM I've never found an easy round it. Cotton buds are a good shout though. Or maybe those little sponge make up applicators on a stick things?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back