Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The bargain performance car thread.

Alex

Nordschleife
I'm always browsing the autotrader, etc. and seeing what (performance) motors you can get for your £££££, dependant on budget.

I was looking at the CLK55 AMG the other day and decided these are a fantastic deal for the money.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602281478148

£2,750 gets you:

0-60 in 5.2 seconds
155 mph
342bhp 5.4L V8
Flat rate road tax - £230
4 seats (more room than any other 2+2 I've had)
German build quality
Reasonable mpg

There's not many cars out there that pump out those sort of figures for under £3k and IMHO the W208 AMG will be a future classic.

:hand: Build quality terrible and when 'something' electrical fails (assuming everything currently works - which they wont) it will cost half as much as the purchase price to fix. The retro fit Alpine head unit is where most of the value is :roll:

Remember this was the lean/wilderness years of MB and more akin to British Leyland standards than teutonic Panzer Tank build quality :thumb:

That 'example' has done its dough @£975 :what: Stick it in webuyanycar to see what it throws up :grin:

Never had any major problems with mine :dont know:

alex yates said:
Never had any major problems with mine :dont know:

Ah yes but at that price and with that engine it wont have been owned by Captain Sensible :grin:

I bought mine on eBay off a pikey with 130k on the clock. Log book wasn't even in his name.

Damn good car though :grin:

I had a MY2000 CLK55 for a few years. It was very quick in a straight line, awful in the bends and the suspension was overly harsh. The V8 sound track was like thunder, quite addictive. The fly by wire throttle was badly engineered, with no smooth progressive way of setting off without the rear wheels trying to light up. Managed only once to get the average mpg to read 30mpg, usually returned 15-21. The main problem with them was the rust. Mine must have been in and out of the body shop 5+ times as it kept trying to eat itself from the inside out; two new front wings; new bonnet; new right rear qtr panel. The paint thickness by the end was probably measured in cm's! Apparently a consequence of contaminated paint on MY2000-2001'ish cars containing microscopic metal fibres.

The car itself would be ideally suited to smooth autobahn's but on the UK's wash boards was a real handful. The best bit was the fine hand built AMG 5.5 V8 unit, worth the money alone for this, especially if transplanting into a kit car project. Just ditch the rest. :thumb:

ok, so what I bought in December isn't a performance car, its a bmw 3, 2003, diesel. I was literally looking for a runaround until I take the air cooled plunge, I drove past a garage and it was just in as a px, 950 quid and ten minutes later I am riding off in it. Its unbelievably clean, everything works on it, interior is like new, and it goes like the clappers, my first bmw and it is as solid as hell, you get the feeling it will never let you down, 180k on the clock but doesn't feel worn out at all, brakes like a vice. I reckon I will get the money back on it. :thumb:

Palladium said:
ok, so what I bought in December isn't a performance car, its a bmw 3, 2003, diesel. I was literally looking for a runaround until I take the air cooled plunge, I drove past a garage and it was just in as a px, 950 quid and ten minutes later I am riding off in it. Its unbelievably clean, everything works on it, interior is like new, and it goes like the clappers, my first bmw and it is as solid as hell, you get the feeling it will never let you down, 180k on the clock but doesn't feel worn out at all, brakes like a vice. I reckon I will get the money back on it. :thumb:

But it's not a 'performance car' now is it ? :hand:

Er........this one.............? :dont know:

Price (when I bought it) of a basic A4 saloon. Bargain of the decade if you ask me. In fact Alex your profile pic is one too....? :?:

I know Paul, but I felt the need to post in "other performance marques"

:thumb: :grin:

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Palladium said:

I did state that in the opening line

Palladium said:
Chris_in_the_UK said:
Palladium said:

That is not what the thread is about though!

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Palladium said:
Chris_in_the_UK said:
Palladium said:

That is not what the thread is about though!

get over it

New996buyer said:
Er........this one.............? :dont know:

Price (when I bought it) of a basic A4 saloon. Bargain of the decade if you ask me. In fact Alex your profile pic is one too....? :?:

Thread hijack. MY GOD! That brings back memories, the view walking out of the Chinese Take Away on my way home as a student over 20 years ago.

That is unmistakably the exact spot where a brand new widebody 993 passed me in '95 I decided that was THE car I would aspire to.

Its 'P' Road by the Zebra crossing, just along from the bend where the Shell garage is that used to be our late night munchies Total garage! I lived on one of the 'Shire' roads after the Indian veg shops.

The only thing missing is your car from this photo I took from google street view in the opposing angle....not suggesting as Liam Neeson said "I will find you......" I just have a photographic memory.

While I reflect, talking of cheap performance marks, this is the same road as a 21 year old that Zoe Ball aka Mrs Fatboy Slim kissed me, then slapped me because I didn't know who she was. I didn't fancy her until she told me she was a celeb then I thought she had a nice rear end.

:thumbs: :worship: Nice one Chris!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back