Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Top Gear - 1st Fiasco

wizard993

Donnington
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35800187

.....that's £500k of the licence fee wasted on this garbage.

If I had wasted £500k of company money I'd expect to get
sacked but this garbage(yank in big powerful car) driving through narrow city centre was to somehow get airtime
:eek: :nooo:

The memorial is in honour of those who died defending freedom. This is the sort of thing that happens when you have a free society. Chris Evans has apologised. Not sure what else there is to it really :?:

So a bloke in a car drove like the clappers and did some skilfull doughnuts near the cenotaph, wow, what a non crime.

We live in an odd society, full of fake sensitivity and pretend indignation.

I just cant see it, I really cant, why don't people shut the ***** up and show some concern for real issues. I hate the ***** media.

I am perplexed by this one. The picture shows that there is a boom camera between the car and the cenotaph, ergo it is shot without the cenotaph visible (it being behind the camera). Given this : what exactly is the big deal :?:

Has someone formally defined the exact distance away from a memorial it is possible to be before actions are not considered disrespectful? There is a foreshortening effect in the shots that I have seen which puts the car a bit further from it than it may to some appear too. This is just the tabloids kicking off over nothing to give Top Gear free publicity isn't it?

The Cenotaph is in the middle of a road.

Perhaps just driving past it is disrespectful :dont know:

cenotaph.jpg

The argument was along the lines of they wouldn't have done this in a cemetery, so they shouldn't do it here.

This top gear is gonna be the biggest anticlimax ever. Everyone already knows what's gona be on it.

+1 Alex

On his R2 show Evans was unequivocally apologetic. He said there was not intentional disrespect but was horrified by why it mat have looked like.

This is the problem with our sensational media...its all about what it "looks" like, not what it is, what its intentions are ...just what it "looks" like. It does sum up our superficial world to an extent that we get meaningless covereage of a meaningless event and then someone has to make a meaningless apology.

I would rather they left it in the show else they will just spend another load of licence fee payers money on something else to fill the time.

Aside from the war memorial aspect, and on another point entirely, just so as not to confuse the two, I think a cabal of 'car people' have already decided that they're not going to like the show no matter what. And from memory, the last show got tons of stick from 'car people' and still does. There's a lot of grumpy moaners who just don't get the concept of light entertainment for a wide audience that happens to be car centric. It was never meant to be a show for the die hards who like to call themselves 'e theists' or 'purists' or 'real car' fans. They have lots of other shows or activities that specifically cater for that level of interest.
I read Gavin Green rubbishing the Top Gear team in the last issue of CAR magazine. It was such a toxic arrogant piece of bile. Classic motoring journalist 'we are the experts' crap. When we all know the motoring press have continually get so much about the car business comically wrong. They're anything but the experts they think they are. No wonder their circulation has crashed down to 35K a month.

Niall996 said:
Aside from the war memorial aspect, and on another point entirely, just so as not to confuse the two, I think a cabal of 'car people' have already decided that they're not going to like the show no matter what. And from memory, the last show got tons of stick from 'car people' and still does. There's a lot of grumpy moaners who just don't get the concept of light entertainment for a wide audience that happens to be car centric. It was never meant to be a show for the die hards who like to call themselves 'e theists' or 'purists' or 'real car' fans. They have lots of other shows or activities that specifically cater for that level of interest.
I read Gavin Green rubbishing the Top Gear team in the last issue of CAR magazine. It was such a toxic arrogant piece of bile. Classic motoring journalist 'we are the experts' crap. When we all know the motoring press have continually get so much about the car business comically wrong. They're anything but the experts they think they are. No wonder their circulation has crashed down to 35K a month.

At the risk of being tagged one of your "moaner" wtf is exciting about two guys in a big bhp motor pulling doughnuts in the middle of London.....utter shoite TV and for the motoring brain dead and reverse baseball cap wearers.

The Sweeny and the Professionals were doing this(and making it work so much better) 30 years ago :floor:

Is this really the best they can come up with? and if it is the template for TG it is going to be a laugh but for all the wrong reasons.

read this(sums it up perfectly thus far)

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/new-top-gear-matt-leblanc-chris-evans

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back