Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Servicing for our 993's.

ballcock

Paul Ricard
Hi all,
Mulling over bringing the car back into Porsches loving arms :roll:
There don't seem to be any menu prices for 993's on line any more. I'm still waiting for some quotes.
Are any of you using OPC's for maintenance , and could you give an idea of prices please?

Oh , and ...

Am I complete hatstand? :eek:

I must declare I've used a well known Indy for the last 12 years.

My concern especially at my nearest OPC is there anyone who remembers servicing an air cooled car let alone has done one recently !

My OPC servicing was short lived when they wanted to charge me £399 for a new battery.

Find a good indie and your wallet and car will both thank you.

£320 inc oil MINOR service
£695 inc oil/plugs MAJOR service
£75 Brake Fluid Change

Why not call them?

Although the first question I would ask is:

"How many air-cooled models did you service last week?"

"How many air-cooled trained technicians do you have?"

OPC Cambridge is about 12 a week and 3 trained techs

As a tie-breaker, ask them the last time they fully renovated/restored an air-cooled (inc engine strip)?

OPC Cambridge have two running at this moment

I keep getting emails from West London with offers for 993 servicing, and claims that they will price match with indies, but I suspect I am just as likely to insert burning matches under my finger nails as take them up on it.

I wouldn't buy a newspaper from OPC Chiswick

I used OPC Reading for my Turbo last time (basic annual service). The head 'spanner' very obviously knew (and loved) 993's inside and out - I was shown around the car whilst it was up on the ramp and everything of note was pointed out. A failed (cheap) sensor was picked up through the plug in diagnostic and I was shown exactly how to replace it myself). I supplied my own (Porsche approved) oil and as a result I'm sure I paid something like £290 (including a couple of cups of coffee and a pastry or two).

From the very thorough check they gave my car when I bought it I would say Portsmouth know air cooled cars pretty well; but not as well as Northway which is why my car goes there.

The prices GT4 quotes look pretty competitive to me as compared to a good independent.

Thanks all for your comments. It seems Porsche is missing a trick here. Some cars on this forum are worth more than a nicely spec'd 991. So it can't be snobbery that stops some opc's from attracting air coolers by having genuine airhead tech guys available.
It's a pity really that opc's aren't first choice for us.

It's good to hear they will match indie prices, and that they allow the owner to supply oil. This gives me some ammo when approaching the two opc's on the mainland of ireland

:p

I reckon that I'll be going with OPC Belfast for my next service- they've been helpful with parts and I had a chat with the service manager who seemed a good guy.
They always seem to have aircooled cars in any time I go past, which is reassuring.

Thanks Harry.
I contacted Stephen Biggarstaff, who remembered me from my 996 days .. 9 years ago! .. I remember him being very thorough and helpful..
He rang yesterday to tell me he was still working on figures. Including a service 'kit' which he reckons is the cheapest way to go.

Full OPC Service History when I bought it.

Seemed a shame to not continue it.

Good 993 prices and they pick it up.

Porsche East London.

(Now at Gallions Reach, Becton)

The Technician (now Service Advisor) remembered my car from 2001!

Mine goes into OPC Bristol annualy, they seem to know their way around 993's. In any case there isn't too much choice in the Bristol area.....what Indy?

ballcock said:
Thanks Harry.
I contacted Stephen Biggarstaff, who remembered me from my 996 days .. 9 years ago! .. I remember him being very thorough and helpful..
He rang yesterday to tell me he was still working on figures. Including a service 'kit' which he reckons is the cheapest way to go.

I think that may have been who I spoke to. Would you mind letting us know how you get on? PM if you prefer.

Cheers

H.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back