Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

reg plate transfer advice

ChrisT70

Albert Park
Ok once I've got Mot and road tax this month I have a new plate I'd like to put on my 993. I've got the certificate of entitlement and I know you can do it online now but how quickly does that take effect online?
(I've got some plates coming i can put on it once it has taken effect so I won't actually need to wait for the new logbook to physically appear)

on line its instant

But i ve found that if the car has been untaxed for a period of time it won't let you do iy.

if you post it to the dvla it should be done in less than a week.

I've just swapped private plates on a car and it was remarkably painless. The only thing you have to remember is to remove any plate you want to keep first, otherwise I think you lose it...

One other thing i've found is that the plates I ordered from eBay sellers are not quite the same as those that the car was supplied with. The supplied plates were a thick section of clear plastic with the numbers, letters and yellow or white background applied on the rear surface. The plates I bought from eBay are possibly inferior in that the main substance of the plate is a piece of black plastic, with the background, numbers and letters applied to the front surface, beneath a thin clear film. I really don't know how long that is going to last - however they were not exactly expensive.

Now, do any eBay sellers supply the other kind of plates?

edited to add - yes, look for 'acrylic faced' plates. i reckon these will be a lot more durable.

Will have to see as it's been 5 months sorn. I have some decent quality plates as a friend runs a place that make em! :)

Are you bothering with the name of the supplier and the BS mark along the lower edge?

tim993 said:
Are you bothering with the name of the supplier and the BS mark along the lower edge?

Doesn't it have too for the MOT?

mark pearce said:
on line its instant

But i ve found that if the car has been untaxed for a period of time it won't let you do iy.

if you post it to the dvla it should be done in less than a week.

You should be fine as long as there is no gap in either Tax or SORN. My SL had a one month gap between a previous sale to me owning it, and it wouldn't work. One of my other SORN'd cars was fine.

Snowed again today so mot next weekend at the earliest. Can't do anything tilling taxed but hopefully it will be straightforward online I hope.

Private plates

Hi all-

I've always used a company called myshowplates - it's a online plate design
Site. Really easy to use and good if you want to change spacing , font, etc

Usually takes around 3-4 days

Regards Aaron.

It's probably still worthwhile getting a properly spaced set, at least for swapping over come MOT time.

My rear plate is on heavy duty velcro (front is screws as normal) so makes them easy to change - having said that, I forgot to put the 'correct' plates on for my last MOT and it still passed, without comment.

stewart rix said:
It's probably still worthwhile getting a properly spaced set, at least for swapping over come MOT time.

My rear plate is on heavy duty velcro (front is screws as normal) so makes them easy to change - having said that, I forgot to put the 'correct' plates on for my last MOT and it still passed, without comment.

ive got them properly spaced, its ok on that aspect. i have had some pressed metal ones made up which i hope look spot on. :)

I was amazed this week.

I took a plate off online, on Wednesday afternoon.

New Log Book was on the floor mat on Friday and the Retention cert arrived on Saturday :eek:

Excellent stuff! :thumb:

HSC911 said:
I was amazed this week.

I took a plate off online, on Wednesday afternoon.

New Log Book was on the floor mat on Friday and the Retention cert arrived on Saturday :eek:

Excellent stuff! :thumb:

That's amazing- used to be a few wks or a trip to a local Dvla office.
I have heard the online service is good .

Handy as I'll be putting mine on the new car soon! 😊

I've just used the on-line service for the first time. It took me 4 minutes from start to finish and takes effect immediately.

After buying the car it only took 3 days for the V5 to arrive so I'm hoping to have the new one some time this week.

I've had the number on retention for 13 years so it's nice to use it again. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back