Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Filming a video of the 991.2 - what would you like to see?

The new 991.2 Carrera - what kind of video would you enjoy watching?

• 1. A music video style presentation with a storyline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. A simple show room video featuring design details

• 3. A mix of 1 and 2

• 4. A traditional review video

• 5. Something else, a totally different angle?

• Total voters

akesanto

Hi guys,

I have a chance to make a video of the new 991.2 Carrera and thought I'd ask your opinion on what kind of video would you like to see the most.

I'll give you a few examples with links to my earlier works:

1. A music video style presentation with a storyline
https://youtu.be/UEhZLYsK1b0

2. A simple show room video featuring design details
https://youtu.be/mbvIzVkgZvI

3. A mix of the above
https://youtu.be/UxGzZK37Fo8

4. A more traditional review video
(never done this before)

5. Something else, a totally different angle?

Thanks in advance, all ideas and opinions are welcomed! :)

Very good, all of them... I prefer the more artistic music ones than the review type video's that most people do.

Look forward to seeing.

I always remember this: https://youtu.be/siZQHDY1-48

First of all your videos are brilliant and beautiful. (Aren't drones flipping amazing). I'm wondering why you do it! For fun or are they pieces of work for manufacturers or is it a love of filming to a love of cars but that aside..

I haven't really liked most 'review' videos I've seen. Mainly because the presenters are achingly generally boring and nerdy. Their scripts are often full of drab cliches. I've seen better user videos on here that feel authentic and real. Theres a guy with a 200kg weight loss 996 thread on here who posted a video I really liked because I thought he actually was quite compelling ad someone and someone I really wanted to listen to even if the video was a go pro standard.

It's funny, I'm actually in the process of ordering a car at the moment. It's really for the wife (Jag F Pace) and we looked at videos on the internet since it hasn't been released here yet so buying off the net basically. And none of them answered any of the questions she (the decision maker) actually had. The one thing she was particularly interested in was the size of the car! The scale. And it's one thing you often never see in magazine photos or videos. The cars are always in remote areas. You never see one parked next to something you can connect it to.

Anyway, I'm sure Porsche will put out a lot of their own videos so there'll be plenty of the driving shots mixed with showroom shots footage. So i ticked the 'something alternative' box. What that is I don't know, but that strikes me as the more interesting challenge. And that's more about yours a person and your motivation. (we're really short on brilliant 996 videos by the way - if you ever get a chance!! Silver 996 C1 with clear headlights pleeeese!)

One of my favourite videos doesn't even show the car, the French C'etait Le Rendezvous video which had a kid of s story mixed in and took us into the urban jungle a nit which is something you rarely see if ever. Early morning city driving when the streets are empty.

So maybe incorporate a quirky or cool storyline. You get all the car shots, you get something of the soul of the car and then there's a thread running through. Say for example, a couple have a big row, she throws him out of the house, or he's sacked, or he loses on the stock market or something and he's depressed and he gets in his car and goes for a drive and soon everything seems okay again. The time alone just him and the machine resolves something. At the very end he gets a call and it closes off the story. (She wants him back, the boss is sorry they made a mistake or the stocks have all risen again or whatever). Or maybe not, maybe he doesn't care. Maybe he just keeps going. The moment with the car affirms his own sense of what he really wants. Who he is. (maybe incorporate flashbacks to the scenes leading up to whatever happened at home/work etc)

So that's one tack.

Another might be one of those fast staccato like videos with multiple shots edited together really disruptively, short dramatic - aggressive - mixed in with random shots about modern society, culture, accelerating change, volatility, millennials, Trump, Cameron, crisis, the human heart, and in the midst of it all, something tangible, something stable, the car. Maybe offset the Porsche against the values its confronts, excess, bling, loutishness.

I'll tell you what I would like though. something that brings out the soul of the 911. I'll always remember the first picture of a 911 that made me stop and stare. It was a CAR magazine article from way way back on the new turbo (a black 930/3.3 splashing through water). It had menace and intent. It was rock and roll. It was Dart Vader. Everything is very PC these days and 911 videos have gone very vanilla. Pretty, beautiful, glistening sun flared scenery. Sweet. Almost cuddly. We need the rebel back in there (in fairness Walker has done a lot for that regarding the old air cooers and Porsche have attempted it (but failed imho) with the new R video (everyone is loving the older car!!). And the choice of music and mechanical sounds of the car have a lot to do with that and the choice of music. So I would maybe go for something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPsL6dECQ38

Give us something to feck the world! Hopefully that earns me a 996 video! Any of the above will do for that.

6appeal said:
Very good, all of them... I prefer the more artistic music ones than the review type video's that most people do.

Look forward to seeing.

I always remember this: https://youtu.be/siZQHDY1-48

Thanks! That Aston Martin video really is a classic, can't count how many times I've watched it. Simply brilliant and with a nice ethereal vibe for a sports car video.

Niall996 said:
First of all your videos are brilliant and beautiful. (Aren't drones flipping amazing). I'm wondering why you do it! For fun or are they pieces of work for manufacturers or is it a love of filming to a love of cars but that aside..

Thanks! I actually do video and photography gigs for Jaguar Land Rover here in Finland and a while ago had a chance to have the F-TYPE coupe for a few days. I really liked the car so I decided to do my own video with it, just for the fun of it. It was such a nice experience, like a breath of fresh air to have the freedom to make something of your own, without any corporate guidelines. So whenever I have some spare time from my "day job" and a chance to film a nice car, I try to create something that nurtures my creative cells and hopefully also brings joy to other lovers of sports car and all aesthetes alike.

Niall996 said:
I'll tell you what I would like though. something that brings out the soul of the 911. I'll always remember the first picture of a 911 that made me stop and stare. It was a CAR magazine article from way way back on the new turbo (a black 930/3.3 splashing through water). It had menace and intent. It was rock and roll. It was Dart Vader. Everything is very PC these days and 911 videos have gone very vanilla. Pretty, beautiful, glistening sun flared scenery. Sweet. Almost cuddly. We need the rebel back in there (in fairness Walker has done a lot for that regarding the old air cooers and Porsche have attempted it (but failed imho) with the new R video (everyone is loving the older car!!). And the choice of music and mechanical sounds of the car have a lot to do with that and the choice of music. So I would maybe go for something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPsL6dECQ38

Give us something to feck the world! Hopefully that earns me a 996 video! Any of the above will do for that.

I really really like your ideas. The new Porsche videos are a bit vanilla, aren't they? I think the "Rebels race on" with GT4 and now the 911 R are great efforts to bring the actual driving experience back into the driving, but the videos are naturally very safe since the brand doesn't want to alienate anyone from the large spectrum of Porsche owners. I fell in love with cars in the 80's when I was a kid, watching Miami Vice and admiring the Testarossa, getting excited about the Countach that looked it could launch me into space. There was something really cool about those times, the cars were like rock stars that didn't apologize for their existence.

Thanks again for all the great ideas and different angles, this helps a lot! And I absolutely will try to find that silver 996 with clear headlights and make a video of it ;)

Niall996 said:
It's funny, I'm actually in the process of ordering a car at the moment. It's really for the wife (Jag F Pace) and we looked at videos on the internet since it hasn't been released here yet so buying off the net basically. And none of them answered any of the questions she (the decision maker) actually had. The one thing she was particularly interested in was the size of the car! The scale. And it's one thing you often never see in magazine photos or videos. The cars are always in remote areas. You never see one parked next to something you can connect it to.

I was at the F-PACE launch event here in Helsinki a few weeks back. From that experience when looking at the car from outside, I would've guessed it's dimensions are close to the Evoque. Looking more closely it's actually a bit wider and also has more space in the back. And you do have at least a bit more visibility from the driver's seat of the F-PACE :) So in my opinion it's larger than it looks, thanks to the sleek design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back