Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Additional security

Sulz

Monza
A friends car got stolen off their drive yesterday (different marque). I have a 991 and cayenne and don't have anything else for security on the car besides factory fitted alarm.

Do you use anything else on the car? I have cctv as well which I hope acts as a deterrent to would be thieves.

The old steering wheels locks / gear stick to handbrake and foot pedal locks are coming back into fashion again. Car crime is now a thing of the past for the smash and stab the lock style get aways because of the technology the eu automotive industry set upon car manufacturers to improve theft figures.

Now it comes under theft of keys via home break ins or cloning of blank keys off the web and a decoder of the serial pin code ommited.

Tracking devices are good but on the internet now are signal jammers which plug directly into the lighter socket.

Vehicles round our way are I would say stolen to order and with direct links to the motorway and docks are gone. We've had numerous visits by the police and this is their own understanding and knowledge. The Range Rovers and BMW X5's and such alike especially.

As for additional protection at home maybe a wheel clamp.

Are we allowed to air our thoughts on thieves on here? Possibly but the sheer amount of hatred and swear words may lend itself to being left not in the written form

so this should suffice most

Thieves
:gunfire:

I had that dilemma for my 1970's VW camper... security ain't the most sophisticated on them :floor:

I fitted a security bollard, a steering wheel lock and a pedal lock that simply locks the pedals together... all basic, but intended to slow and deter than prevent... I've also insured my vehicles for pre-agreed values to save risk of hassle, for sake of £15 cost to do so with Adrian Flux.

At the end of the day, its just metal, just don't want the hassle.

What kind of CCTV have you done? I've been thinking of that.

The friends car was actually an evoque. Can't believe Land Rover and BMW would have such a big security flaw.

I have a HIKVISION Cctv . Highly recommended really easy to use and set up . 1080p cameras . Very well priced . Also none of the hassle of port forwarding and DNS updates etc I had with my old system . Highly recommended

My DVR looks the same but I have different cameras. CCTV has got so cheap over the last two years . The features in the one you have listed would easily have cost over £2000 only a few years ago.

I would have no issues getting the one you have linked . The only hassle is th cabling . I ran the cabling when I renovated my house. Although the cabling was from an old inferior system so the power cables had to be re run. The set up literally takes minutes,

Disklock, fitted and undone less than two mins Police wheel clamp five mins fit /undone, garage, CCTV gate access how much do you want to spend?

Best one, out of sight out of mind garage looks best.

People do not want things, that slow them down when on the hunt for a car to steal.

The biggest bit of Security overlooked house alarm.

If you do not want, to put a bit of time in its up to you Security wise.

In Security its the basic's that let people down in life.

Sulz said:
The friends car was actually an evoque. Can't believe Land Rover and BMW would have such a big security flaw.

I have a HIKVISION Cctv . Highly recommended really easy to use and set up . 1080p cameras . Very well priced . Also none of the hassle of port forwarding and DNS updates etc I had with my old system . Highly recommended

Yes the Evoque is quite popular for contract car thieves because of the push button start system. Plus you do not need to actually press the fob to open it.

The Evoque simply needs to read the correct code being emitted and it'll open and start up. Who would sanction that idea with decoders and readers readily available on the internet.

Other than the evoque which looks to be popular with hemp shoe wearing thieves I reckon most car security is up to the mark.

As others have said cars are stolen to order often as a result of you being surveilled back to your house so they can target it properly. That usually ends up with a robbery and your keys being stolen along with the car(s) and all other possessions they can get their hands on along with threats/actual violence against occupants.

CCTV is all well and good but a balaclava defeats it and most will still take the job on if it's easy and there's a good butty in it. Most/all are now DNA aware.

Driveway bollards are OK but thieves usually turn up in one (stolen) car and destroy and physical obstructions with it.

External wheel clamps/locks - Really? Do you want to be messing about with that in the rain in your best suit before going to work?

Some top tips:

1) Dont flash the bling
2) Be mindful of anyone following you home
3) Dont fall for the dustbin/obstacle blocking the drive forcing you to get out to remove the obstruction often leaving the car running/door open
4) If you've got a garage use it.
5) Make sure you're house security is up to the job and can give you time to react to an attempt break-in.
6) Make sure keys are not easily accessible from any easy access points. Remember the fishing rod through the letterbox trick?

Good luck :thumb:

Ok that's put me at ease. The push start system sounds absolutely nuts!!

When I renovated the house i purposely went for a door without a letter box ( we have a letter box on the wall) another friend's house got robbed with the fishing rod through the key trick 10 years ago.

I'll just relax as I guess there's not much more to do. I completely agree about the wheel clamps etc, can't be bothered. Don't want drive way bollards as knowing my luck I'll forget it's there and reverse right into it!

Get a venomous snake (super friendly with its owner) to sleep wrapped round the steering wheel.

As they say fight fire with fire.

Hopefully the venomous snake will bite the thief snake in self defense. Saves you and the police a lot of work. :grin:

I'm not too sure about 'pets' :dont know:

I'm reminded of the story Bernard Manning told about parking his car oustide Maine Road to watch the match where 'street urchins' would look after the security for a fee.

"Look after your car for a fiver mister?"
"No need son, there's a rottweiler in that car that'll rip yer ***** head off"
"Oh. It can put fires out can it?"

I find this works quite well!!
That and a secure key cupboard in the house.

Attachments

• img_1141_154.jpg
    img_1141_154.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 6,040
I have a big dog and an alarm.

With all modern cars the theives normally try to get the keys to take the car as modern car security is pretty good.

If you rember back to the days when a car could be taken with a screwdriver youll rember the different imobilisers sold .. there was one that you fitted a push button under the carpet or gear lever leather that you pushed to start the car.

Basically any Auto electrician could easily make up a hidden switch and wire it to fuel pump etc that if a thief did get your keys he still couldn,t start it.

Its a pretty cheap alternative to some of the VTS/Tracker options , is not a lock that needs removeing and would give peace of mind i think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back