Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Itch, help! (Now Scratched!)

jkeith

I have been looking at GT3 cars for a little while now. This itch just won't go away.

Never before have I been in a position to contemplate buying a car worth so much money, so it's a bit daunting.

Most of my time has been spent on looking at 996 mk1 and 2 cars. There are around 30 cars advertised for sale just now in the uk with prices ranging from £49k to £90k and mileages from 5k to 85k.

My cars will only be doing a low annual mileage and hopefully staying with me for over 5 years (I'm now 64).

So, spending say £70k can buy a very nice 996 GT3 mk1 or 2 but also a 997GT3. Now there is yet another dilema!

My shortlist has the Antony Fraser car at RPM Technik close to the top despite it's higher mileage and no bucket seats. 911Virgin also have two very nice cars.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate your tips. I think I have seen all the current adverts and have a couple of scouts also looking. I'm sure others have been in my position and I would be grateful for any help in negotiating this itch.

Cheers, Keith.

Oops! maybe a 997 gt3 is not in my price bracket. Apologies.

996 GT3 for £60k

A solid car from a solid dealer

http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/893/996GT3Mk2/

893_Porsche_For_Sale_996ajt1_1.jpg

I moved up from a 996.2 GT3 to a 997.1 GT3 CS and have been very happy with the change. However, both are excellent cars.

One thing I would recommend is bucket seats. They are really comfortable and make every drive that bit more special.

My old GT3 is still for sale at Cameron (not SOR so I have no financial interest at stake). I owned it for 2 years and it was an excellent and fault free car.

Thanks guys, comments much appreciated.

911UK, thanks, there are two very nice GT3 cars at 911v that are on my list of interesting examples. How to choose?

hopeydaze, I'd be interested to know what differences you felt between the 996 and the 997. Your old car is already on my list, thanks for that. Looks very nice, but then so do lots of the other cars currrently being advertised.

I do recognise that this is a lovely problem to have. Choosing the right car for me will involve quite a bit of travelling I think.

Cheers, Keith.

Good luck Keith. They really are special cars :thumb:

I had a 996 GT3 gen2 comfort and moved to a 997 GT3 gen1 CS
Differences for me were
997 better looking IMO
996 interior was A little bit of a let down for me
The 997 interior is much nicer and less rattles
Having a Club Sport makes every drive feel special. A Gt3 needs buckets. Although the comfort seats are more practical
The car feels more planted on the road IMO
The 996 felt very twitchy which was great but tiring on a long run
I love the pse on the 997
The 997 feels more muscular lower down the Rev range
I love the wider rear end and central exhaust on the 997 .
The 997 may have some nanny aids but you can switch them off.
Both fantastic cars test drive them see which you prefer
Hope that helps , just my personal opinion

Exellent points thanks cleetus!

The test drive is the key and I will use this to decide on comfort versus club sport. Dare I test a 997 GT3? Eek!

Cheers, Keith

Out of the above mentioned cars, my pick would be the Zanzi mk1, it's a well known car and has been retailer by them multiple times.

It's not a CS but the only differences on mk1s were cage, cut off switches, lightweight flywheel and leather buckets instead of Nomex.

997 is undoubtedly a better road car but then so is an S class. ' Wouldn't swap my mk1 for anything.

Personally I wouldn't look at anything other than a clubsport.

Buckets are the must have item IMHO.
Clubsport if either going to take it to the track or have an eye on residual value (Mk1 CS in particular most likely to be a collectible car, even though the mk2 is a slightly better car).

Ultimately though - there is no regret in owning any generation of GT3 - just get the one that you like the most :thumb:

I find myself looking at GT3's at the moment. 996's........ :wink:

Thanks guys, brilliant comments.

I better keep shtum Daniel otherwise we will be competing for the same car!

This itch is getting worse!!

Cheers, Keith

My old GT3 is still for sale, at Top Gear cars, near Edinburgh. Comfort, but has buckets. Very reasonably priced IMO. I p/ex it for a 997.1 turbo. I owned it for 2 years, with no troubles.

Daniel said:
I find myself looking at GT3's at the moment. 996's........ :wink:

Deja vu all over again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back