Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I'm saving another one.. 914 this time

MarkGolf

I thought I'd start a thread as this will no doubt follow a similar pattern to my 964 thread.

The story of this rescue mission goes as follows; A friend of a friend is selling a few of his cars at the moment, my friend is buying a Karmann Ghia from him. He happened to mention that he has a Porsche/VW 914 tucked away to me, I didn't think much of it as I am not usually a fan.. This sat on my mind for the rest of the day so I started to google them and then I decided to ask more about it, turns out that it is an ex California car, used to be driven here but for the last 2 years it's sat in a garage.. It has done approx 50 miles since the last MOT so it should be good for the next, the garage it has been kept in is dry at least.

So after much googling, I quite fancy the idea of cleaning this up, possibly having it repainted if need be and maybe use it on a sunny day, the idea of it sounds great anyway but with my 964 due back from the bodyshop, my time is going to be limited...

What I know about it, it is a 2.0 twin carb, still don't know if it is a 4 or 6 cylinder and the paint is like sandpaper but it is all there so I think I may be able to rescue it, I hope...

Sadly it was too dark to get some pictures and it was buried deep under lots of junk but I could see Fuchs wheels upfront and something different on the rear, the bumpers have been powder coated black, it has a black interior and everything looked in order.

It needs some work I believe but all discussions have been left for this Saturday when it is going to be pulled out of the garage and fired up. It ran 2 years ago when put away so I suspect it should fire up after a jump. Looking forward to Saturday, the car is a 2 minute walk from mine so it's all very convenient.

Without seeing it properly, I have agreed to buy it and the hunt for parts has already begun.
:bandit:

Here are a few pics which the original owner took before he bought it. He bought it before it was UK registered, someone imported it and left it in a garage :?:

25308029981_9101df031a_z.jpg

24774324853_82643fe6f4_z.jpg

25033467889_e95dea071b_z.jpg

So that's it, albeit a fair few years ago and it is in a more complete state now..

Hopefully by the time I am done with it I can have it looking like this without the chrome.

25282735372_1d74626f1d_z.jpg

Stay tuned :bye:

Wonderful :thumb:

Look forward to reading all about it

Looking forward, to following your work on the 914.

Looking for a 914 myself project wise next year.

Got to finish off, the wife's Karmann Beetle first.

The only thing holding us up, are two good doors needed I have been searching for over two years.

I too want a 914. I blame Chief for starting me off :roll:

Very interesting, looking forward to finding out more. Don't think I've ever seen one on the road befor?

This was my original restoration project want before I bought the 944S but I thought about it and it would have possibly been to slow, I think it was my fault that Chief bought one. I was after a cheap one to fit Boxster running gear to but I know I wouldn't have the time to do it properly.

I look forward to your updates.

I did see a fleet of them a couple of years ago whilst on a road trip in Wales on the Llanberis Pass, must of been ten of them together, they saw my car coming the opposite way, all were flashing lights and waving to me, it looked like they were having a great time.

Cheers guys!

Looking forward to cracking on with this, it looks like I am getting it with some black centred polished lip cookie cutters, I tried for the Fuchs but the owner held on to them, he is still undecided about the cookies but I'll find it for sure when we pull this out of the garage tomorrow.

It is an interesting car, nothing I have ever wanted but it found me and I had to buy it, there is something about it, as weird as it is to look at.

I am hoping I can get it into decent shape for the Volks World show in April as it is 10 mins away.

A Boxster engine in this would be great, I am not sure what the current one will be like but I can imagine something with more than 200bhp would be a laugh!

Will be able to properly update this with pictures tomorrow :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back