Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 quieter exhaust options

adbett

Are there any aftermarket exhaust options that are as quiet as the OEM set up? Everything I see advertises power gains and 'sportier sound' (= louder). My current OEM set up only just makes 105dB at track days and I'd really like to get this lower so that I can get on a wider selection of circuits (eg Brands GP). I think an OEM system in good condition should be closer to 102dB?

Obviously solution is to buy OEM exhaust but it's pretty pricey (£2.4k just for a pair of silencers)

I think mine is louder simply because the silencers are starting to break up inside after 10 years plus one of the cats is loose in the exhaust.

The loose cat I think can be fixed, I know Europipe in Belgium offer a service to cut open the exhaust and resecure the cat so it stops moving - not sure of the price though.

Are there other options? I'm struggling with ideas so all suggestions welcome :D

adbett said:
Are there any aftermarket exhaust options that are as quiet as the OEM set up? Everything I see advertises power gains and 'sportier sound' (= louder). My current OEM set up only just makes 105dB at track days and I'd really like to get this lower so that I can get on a wider selection of circuits (eg Brands GP). I think an OEM system in good condition should be closer to 102dB?

Obviously solution is to buy OEM exhaust but it's pretty pricey (£2.4k just for a pair of silencers)

I think mine is louder simply because the silencers are starting to break up inside after 10 years plus one of the cats is loose in the exhaust.

The loose cat I think can be fixed, I know Europipe in Belgium offer a service to cut open the exhaust and resecure the cat so it stops moving - not sure of the price though.

Are there other options? I'm struggling with ideas so all suggestions welcome :D

There are the valvetronic control units for sale that you could get intergrated into your existing set up so a press of the button and your off loud.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-63-5m...685462?hash=item51d3f95b96:g:jHQAAOSwr81URZtx

Or call topgear in bridport as they do fabrication as well valvetronics so could do the mods to get what you are looking for and the pipework needed to suit your GT3.

hope those ideas help :thumb:

thanks, looked on their website and nothing listed specifically for a 996 GT3 but will call next week

have you used them before?

adbett said:
thanks, looked on their website and nothing listed specifically for a 996 GT3 but will call next week

I have got their valvetronic set up on my 997 and the product quality service and exhaust notes are great .I know you want the opposite to most and the option to be loud or normal would give you the best of both and as the boxes are lighter than Porsche stock should even add BHP :eek: not that you need or are looking for it :lol: :lol: but they are very knowledgeable and I would hope point you to a good solution for you. but IMO switchable valves of some type are your best option for what you are after. :thumb:

Just buy sone decible devils for track days, or get some made. Shouldn't cost a fortune.

On the GT3 the intake is as much the culprit as the exhaust when it comes to noise.

adbett said:

Found this thread from another forum where Alex from topgear seems to be confirming to someone that they do a valvetronic system for the gt3

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1435080

ultegra said:
On the GT3 the intake is as much the culprit as the exhaust when it comes to noise.

If you do want to try and reduce the intake noise this may be worth a call. on the 997 if you wanted the induction airflow improvements over the stock filter but didn't want the extra induction noise that K&N or BMC give. I found that Pipercross do a sports filter that retains the improved airflow but gives none of the extra induction sound, you can also custom order them dry (no oil) so in your case where you want less noise without losing power this may be something to look into.
Pipercross customer service were very helpful when I spoke with them. :thumb:

Was thinking of dEcibel reducing silencer...but not sure how much they will reduce by? If I'm starting at 105 it might be a big stretch to get to 101?

adbett said:
Was thinking of dEcibel reducing silencer...but not sure how much they will reduce by? If I'm starting at 105 it might be a big stretch to get to 101?

4 to 5 db on the 997, you never really know as all the noise meters are different ish as you may have found. 996 should be a tad easier as it only gertting measured on one side.

Rang Top Gear in Bridport and spoke to Steve there, he suggested a system under their longlife brand. It would be 400 cell cats (same as standard?) with custom silencers which would be a quieter version of their normal sports exhaust.

Promising although they can't guarantee a particular noise level at the end, it will be quieter than their sports exhaust but cannot say if that is similar to OEM

Still investigating some other options as well!

adbett said:
Rang Top Gear in Bridport and spoke to Steve there, he suggested a system under their longlife brand. It would be 400 cell cats (same as standard?) with custom silencers which would be a quieter version of their normal sports exhaust.

Promising although they can't guarantee a particular noise level at the end, it will be quieter than their sports exhaust but cannot say if that is similar to OEM

Still investigating some other options as well!

You could speak to Kline, they built my system and Steve's team at Top gear fitted it. They can basically build what you want, my system is shown on there web site. Not cheap but I can now run at Donny without restriction and pass 105db statics, which the existing system couldn't even when new. They have also done 996 systems.

http://www.kline-innovation.com/exhaust-collection/porsche/997-3/997-gt3/

P.S don't believe Top Gear and Kline have a partnership anymore even though there related.

Jon

Have now looked at the Kline products but doesn't look like they will be quieter than my current set up. Exhaust is now off the car again and realised both cats are loose (one worse than the other) so this is probably the main reason for the noise!

Also doing some searching for decibel killers and similar, has anyone fitted these to a standard 996.2 Gt3 exhaust? Out of the box most of them are designed for round tail pipes so it would need modifying for the standard exhaust

The decibel Devils I have arent that great, but the big ugly twisty cans I have are more effective at killing noise. I had them custom made by a company called ACT, obviously they'll do something similar for you if you got in touch with them. Nick (NXI20) uses something similar, not sure of the brand / manufacture though

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=80523

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back