Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are Super Sports worth it?

phil84afc

Monza
Morning chaps,

I'm about to replace the rear boots (currently Bridgestone) with my tried and trusted sport contacts (Continental) but have heard many a good review about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

Had a quote yesterday for £220 each for the contis and £275 for the PSS. (265/35/19).

Does anyone use these Michelins and if so, what are your thoughts on them?

Thanks!

Firstly those quotes are high, MPSS fitted are £40 less each.

Secondly what have you got up front? No point in putting MPSS on rear only. If you have B'stone fronts then they have a very firm sidewall where the Michelin is very soft.

Thirdly MPSS are excellent but advantage lost if you don't do all 4. Compound, tread, water clearance, sidewall etc.

Fourthly Sport Contact are ok but from an aesthetic point of view dont look great and have a grey look as the sidewall is heavily patterned picking up all road dirt.

Fifthly here's a plan. If your fronts have lots of life, take them off and sell them on ebay to recoup some cost. 235/35/19 ar ea common size not just Porsche. Use the saving as above circa £80 plus recoup on fronts towards new matching fronts.

Michelins are excellent tyres no doubt, but I think it's easy to get caught up in the hype around tyre performance at the driving limit.
I have used Super Sports in the past and they have loads of grip, but I am now running Potenza's and I have never pushed them past their limit the way I drive on the road (I don't track my car). So comparing different brands of tyres and their performance is cool, but most high end tyres do exactly the same job at 9/10ths and below...

I'm an MPSS fan. I went from PS2 to MPSS and could feel an improvement in performance and feel. I've tracked the PS2 but not the MPSS. At a good sized round about near me I was able to see the powerful turn in performance over the PS2 in back to back test. As the tyre got some miles on it, it released more performance.Better wet weather performance no doubt which I value given how wet it can be jn the UK.
Looking forward to the weather to warm up so I can use that grip. Everyone that I've recommended them to have been surprised as to the change in their cars performance, whether that be front/4/RWD.
Having said all that Whytar is correct in saying you will struggle to extract the full performance of the tyre on the road.
My recommendation is to get a full set of MPSS tyres and try them for yourself. If you don't get on with them, at least you've tried them. There isn't that big a gap in price so why not.
I guarantee you won't be disappoknted

I was always led to believe that Michelins Pilot sport and supersport had one of the best results for less road noise in the cabin that's why I have used then for ages. :thumb: :thumbs:

Whytar I sort of get what you're saying and to most people they're happy with whatever they've got, like you, and you also 'learn' your tyres behaviour.

You haven't pushed them past their limit YET. Its not until you hit standing water, have to break hard, pull out from a gritty junction, drive on an uneven country road etc etc that you get the opportunity to assess.

I would suggest all top end tyres are not 9/10ths in the same performance bracket. This link is to some Pirelli PZero's on an R8 I worked on this week. How on earth can the tyre perform anything like it should with a wear profile like that? Its the same on every one I see.

https://www.facebook.com/EXELWHEELS/posts/1042590865779978

One thing for sure though, the Boxster 987 is so well balanced it can handle well on most tyres. But to back up my suggestion: last year a customer was driving on my loan set with good Potenzas, identical 19" lobsters. He had new Michelin PS2's on his set we were refurbing because his local tyre fitter damaged them all. He was driving round a familiar country road which was damp. He cannot understand how he lost control and crashed into a cottage on a bend. Car was written off. This is not to say the Potenzas were bad, just that he was used to the characteristics of the Michelins.

I would concur very strongly about differences.

Had RE050s on my turbo and the change, on moving to PS2, in dependability and predictability of grip in anything other than warm and dry conditions was material.

On track in the dry the RE050A was, I admit, very good. But that's a bit chocolate teapot for a DD road car.

In more usual cool and damp conditions (let alone cold and wet) my MPSS-shod RS4 was far more confidence-inspiring. (Overall, slightly better than PS2s on that, from which I moved).

The PS2s I have now are excellent, and I no longer yearn for the RS4...

Couldn't comment on MPSS vs. PS2 on the mid-engine car...

Ive just paid 160 each for 235/35 19 on my front end so your quotes seem high (blackcircles.co.uk - who apparently have just been bought by Michelin).

Cant comment on characteristics vs PS2s as not had long enough yet

phil84afc said:
Morning chaps,

I'm about to replace the rear boots (currently Bridgestone) with my tried and trusted sport contacts (Continental) but have heard many a good review about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

Had a quote yesterday for £220 each for the contis and £275 for the PSS. (265/35/19).

Thanks!

Phil MPSS in your size £206.70 inc vat plus £7 shipping.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b1912s2172p102419/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_SuperSport_Pilot_Michelin_Super_Sport_-_265_35_R19_(98Y)_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB/RS_GB

or £216.20 fully fitted

https://www.protyre.co.uk/buy/Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport-car-tyres-265-35-19-98Y-2653519ZMISUPSPN

After a recent day at Millbrook, I can confirm ...
On Tarmac they are unsurpassed :thumb:
On grass not so f@@kin good :grin:

Waz said:

Waz ,Does that mean great on your sportscar, but don't put on your tractor.
did try and avoid the smoking weed ref.
:grin: :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
phil84afc said:
Morning chaps,

Thanks!

Phil MPSS in your size £206.70 inc vat plus £7 shipping.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b1912s2172p102419/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_SuperSport_Pilot_Michelin_Super_Sport_-_265_35_R19_(98Y)_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB/RS_GB

or £216.20 fully fitted

https://www.protyre.co.uk/buy/Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport-car-tyres-265-35-19-98Y-2653519ZMISUPSPN

Tyre leader have them for £186 shipped :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Waz said:

You need to get down with the kids
Grass went to weed and is now bud apparently :dont know:
If you need a tractor review peterS is your man :thumb:

Waz said:
Phil 997 said:
Waz said:

You need to get down with the kids
Grass went to weed and is now bud apparently :dont know:
If you need a tractor review peterS is your man :thumb:

:floor: :floor: " bud" I must be old the only joints I have now ache, and I guess if its a Porsche tractor then all's well :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back