Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thick smoke

pete27car8vno

I started up my 1990 964 after a 12 month layup with very serious smoke everywhere! I assume it's something to do with the 'air oil separator'. My question , where is it located, is it a DIY repair, can it do serious damage, is there a mod' to stop this happening again as it seems to be a serious design fault? I don't think it's burn off as the engine was run for approx ten minutes with smoke getting worse. I've heard of AOS failure where oil is sucked into the inlet manifold!

How do you know it's not just burning off the oil that may have seeped past the piston rings into the cylinders given its been stood such a long time?

Any sign of it clearing after you've run it for a few minutes?

Dont be using those water cooler terms around here!!

Seriously though, air cooled motors don't have separator. What you have seen is quite normal after a long layup. Oil finds its way past the rings and into the combustion chamber causing a smokey engine on starting. It should disappear after a few minutes.

^^^ Great minds :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back