Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports Cracking up!!

Jcx

Estoril
Hi all,

Does anyone know if my 11k mile rear tyres on my M135i should be cracked like this? The fronts are very slightly cracking but nothing like this. Car was new 10 months and 11k miles ago. This is the first set of tyres.

Mr Michelin?! Is this what you expect from your tyres?

TIA

REARS

IMG_0428_zpsia27zree.jpg

IMG_0429_zpsx7vdik5t.jpg

IMG_0430_zpsixn7b0g2.jpg

FRONT

IMG_0431_zpsdin7jsq3.jpg

Lots of tread left. No track days. Tyres run at suggested pressures and monitored daily via onboard TPMS.

Jcx, Do you use tyre black on the wheels every time you wash it or whoever washes it. This product is known by the good detailers to crack tyres just as yours show and they don't use it when weekly washing. mine only do it every third/fourth visit and then reluctantly. there is a foam type sold at halfords and the like, that don't do this damage. :thumb:

I'm not sure if this is "cracking up " to be honest ,,
I've just removed some nearly new bridgstones off my 991 and they looked like that but I didn't give it a second thought ,,

I think it's just how the rubber goes ??

Perhaps send the pics to Michelins help desk and see what they say

:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Jcx, Do you use tyre black on the wheels every time you wash it or whoever washes it. This product is known by the good detailers to crack tyres just as yours show and they don't use it when weekly washing. mine only do it every third/fourth visit and then reluctantly. there is a foam type sold at halfords and the like, that don't do this damage. :thumb:

Good question.

No I don't use it every time I wash but I do use it on the rears and the fronts at the same time and the difference between the tyres and their condition is stark. I also use the same tyre dressing on other cars in our family and the tyres are not cracked as my rears are in the pics above.

Rockunrolla said:
I'm not sure if this is "cracking up " to be honest ,,
I've just removed some nearly new bridgstones off my 991 and they looked like that but I didn't give it a second thought ,,

I think it's just how the rubber goes ??

Perhaps send the pics to Michelins help desk and see what they say

:thumb:

I'll do that Dave, thx for the advice. Shall I just visit the website to find the help desk link?

Ye just google it , just hope you don't get taking to the plonker I got who didn't know how much tread the tyres come with :roll: :grin:

I've just been out and looked at my new disco with 8mnth old tyres on , looking with a touch in detail they are far worse than you have shown , so I think I'd defiantly put it down to normal

Seems to be a problem with those tyres in cold weather- I read about it when a load of US Corvette owners started to draw attention to it. Apparently Michellin has said not to use them when the temp is -6C or below- not that cold here so maybe your cracks aren't related to this anyway. One of my friends has a Cayman GT4- he noticed small cracks forming about 6-7 weeks ago too... not as bad as what I read about in the US though, it's much colder there (in many states) in winter!

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/c...lem-explained-by-michelin-engineer-93114.html

I have had exactly the same issue with my Bridgestone cracking all round the sidewall as in the photos mine are 7 years old , I thought it may be to do with the age of them :dont know: I putting on new tyres this week

declandio said:
Seems to be a problem with those tyres in cold weather- I read about it when a load of US Corvette owners started to draw attention to it. Apparently Michellin has said not to use them when the temp is -6C or below- not that cold here so maybe your cracks aren't related to this anyway. One of my friends has a Cayman GT4- he noticed small cracks forming about 6-7 weeks ago too... not as bad as what I read about in the US though, it's much colder there (in many states) in winter!

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/c...lem-explained-by-michelin-engineer-93114.html

Well that's good then. We've had a very mild winter and I've not driven in temps lower than 3deg C since getting the car.

Keep us posted ,as all my Michelin sport pilots look like that all round and had put it down to the tyre black as my detailer had said. 8)

Phil 997 said:
Keep us posted ,as all my Michelin sport pilots look like that all round and had put it down to the tyre black as my detailer had said. 8)

Will do Phil. I have emailed Michelin. If they confirm there is no risk to safety and no loss of performance due to the cracks I'll likely accept it. BUT if they can't do that then I shan't be happy.

Jcx - I had this on my M135i with less than 5k on the clock and had Jamie McWhir the Technical Manager from Michelin out to my house to assess. He said it is due to the way the tread is moulded to the casing and the result of flexing in use. I have an official e mail that states that whilst unsightly there is no defect or safety impact.
If you want confirmation contact Michelin directly, they will oblige.
Regards, Dave

I've had pretty much the same thing on my tyres.

I had a flat battery a few months ago and got AA out - the chap showed me the cracks and got me worried.

Got Battery changed at my OPC (fortune!) - but got them to look at my tyres- but they said this was common - and not to worry about it at all.

Got them to send that via email - so put me to peace - so don't worry about it!

Thanks chaps. I think I may give it some use through the summer and swap out for Conti Sport 6s or Michelin Pilot Sport 4s later in the year. Both get great reviews.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back