Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

One Amp power drain 07 Boxster S

segart

Nurburgring
I have had a look through the archives but cannot find anything on this. My friend has an 07 Boxster S which is draining its battery at the rate of one amp an hour. Is this a known fault and what can be done to fix it? Many thanks for any assitance.
Cheers
Rick

It does but the tracker is only burning .2 of an amp.

Is that including its charging circuit?

Charging circuit? not sure what that is. The chap from the RAC said that the tracker should only have the minimal drain.

Well, he's right about that, but does it is the question!

What draw into the tracker battery?

I dont know. Is it normal for a tracker to have a higher than expected drain?

Sounds suspiciously like a bulb staying on? Pull the light circuit fuses one by one to see if you can isolate the drain or remove each internal bulb, bonnet etc one by one

segart said:
I dont know. Is it normal for a tracker to have a higher than expected drain?

It is expected the battery dies and becomes a resistor at about 8-10 years.

The back up battery for a tracker can fail and will cause a discharge .. with an amp meter connected you need to look for a spike in amps of about .8 of an amp , its about every 30 secs and will last for about 5 seconds then dissapear for another 30 secs.

Another comon discharge point thats around an amp is the radio/pcm ..

Basically with any discharge you have an amp meter connected then disconect fuses untill the discharge disapears , dont forget to double blip the car when testing to turn off interior monitoring also drop the car latch so the door is open and you can get at the fuses.

The car can take upto 1 hour to shut down , but after about 10 mins it should be at about 0.2 of an amp ( obviously higher with a drain ) and you can then start testing.

DO NOT disconect alarm fuses with car locked , it will trigger alarm and probably blow the fuse in your meter.

Safest way is to do as above but instead of locking the car leave it untill it shuts down .. i lock the car when checking but then i do it for a living lol

I would start with unplugging the radio though and go from there.

For anyone thats into electrics this is the best tool for testing amp draw .. you use it on the fuses to measure the fuse draw ..

https://store.snapon.com/Specialty-Circuit-Testers-Amp-Hound-P769765.aspx

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back