Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1989 964 C4 - Engines go to come out so.......

Rogthedodge

Yep a couple of the head bolts have snapped, so the lump at the back's got to come out.

So hear goes (I know what to expect here :) - whilst the engine's out what would folks recommend. PLEASE TRY AND KEEP IT SENSIBLE :D - no it won't be shipped off to California to see Mr Dickinson

I've also got a bike-engined Caterham that needs some TLC, so the budget has to be shared.

I'm trying to keep it as standard as possible. And it's had new shocks, springs and full set up at Centre Gravity

....oh no what have I started :bonk:

A straightforward top end rebuild. Through bolt seals changed, all new head bolts and big end bearings checked and replaced if necessary. If nothing else is needed you could get that done for about £4k. Of course there is lots to consider while you are there such as clutch etc....the costs mount quickly lol

Thanks.. I need to check the history but top end was done at c.130k. Mileage is now 170k. Standard clutch? Or updated? And lighter flywheel?

Ras is about right with his estimate. I appreciate its easy to say "whilst your in there", but if the engine got to come out again :?:

If it's had a top end rebuild, check to see its been done right. If that's all OK, then maybe go for the lightened flywheel, I love mine! and change the clutch, then call it a day. The price goes orbital when you look at 3.8 and/ or Cup cams. There fast enough as they are
:thumb:

If the last rebuild was done well then it should be a fairly painless job, valve guides etc should all be fine, much depends on the condition of the piston/barrels, although its maybe time to be thinking of doing the bottom end. RS clutch and flywheel is a nice mod and will add about £1k to the price.

And unless its leak free maybe attend to the dreaded Achilles heal of the model

At 170K you might as well split the cases and replace the bottom end stuff.

It'll be wearing thin.

Thanks folks. I've agreed with Mike at Zentrum that I'll take engine out and he'll sort the bolts. Then we can have a chat about other items. He's a great bloke. I'm used to doing most jobs on my 7s but taking it steady on working on the 964. :)

Just jump in, nothing more frightening that on the '7' and it even has the engine in the right place :puh:

Rogthedodge said:
Thanks folks. I've agreed with Mike at Zentrum that I'll take engine out and he'll sort the bolts. Then we can have a chat about other items. He's a great bloke. I'm used to doing most jobs on my 7s but taking it steady on working on the 964. :)

(slight thread hijack)

Rogthedodge - if your using Zentrum are you Nottingham based? I'm in Nottingham and I've got a Caterham Fireblade. Do you do all the work on our Caterham yourself or do you take it anywhere to get serviced?

Andy

PS. I agree with Chief, that you shouldn't be afraid to get stuck into doing work on the Porsche yourself. It's just that given the Porsche is 3 times the weight of the Caterham, you have roughly 3 times the quantity of mechanical bits to work on!

Hi Andy - no problem with the hi-jack :D

I'm just north of Derby so not a million miles away. Just happy I've found Zentrum relatively close by. One my 7s is a Blackbird, the other is a SLR. I've always tended to do the SLR work myself but have only had the BEC a year or so nothing much has needed doing yet. How long have you had your Blade? PS I'm Gen Sec of the Seven Club

hope to meet up and kick 7 and Porsche tyres. Is there a local club meet anywhere? :thumb:

Rogthedodge said:
Hi Andy - no problem with the hi-jack :D

I'm just north of Derby so not a million miles away. Just happy I've found Zentrum relatively close by. One my 7s is a Blackbird, the other is a SLR. I've always tended to do the SLR work myself but have only had the BEC a year or so nothing much has needed doing yet. How long have you had your Blade? PS I'm Gen Sec of the Seven Club

hope to meet up and kick 7 and Porsche tyres. Is there a local club meet anywhere? :thumb:

Not sure if there is a local Porsche meet in Nottingham or Derby. I've done some driver training with some of the guys, but not really had the chance to do a meet. Someone will jump in I'm sure and correct me about local meets!

Ive had the 7 about 2 and a bit years now. It's one of the original James Whiting Fireblades. Carburetor engine, so I really need to find someone who can set them up on a rolling road. It's tucked up in a workshop at the moment but i think it will be time to get it back on the road. To be fair, I've not done a lot of my own spannering on the 7 yet, but I have on the Porsche.

Andy

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back