Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Stereo Upgrade - Alpine Unit

SamUK

Montreal
Having owned the 997 c2s for 3 weeks, i could not resist spending some money on an upgrade.

Needed bluetooth, better maps, and speed camera alerts.

Retaining the Bose Amp & Steering Wheels Controls.

Stereo Upgrade cost me near £600, and I should hopefully be able to sell my existing unit with sat nav for £400 - £500.

Following on from here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=109332&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thought i would post this, as my install in progress. :D As some may find this of use.

Alpine INE-W925R - £350 (second hand, waited for a bargain) (£720 new!)

IMG_20160212_215321_zpswezt7yys.jpg

MOST Interface & Facia
- £200 (saved little, ***** customer service beware)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-B...306797?hash=item27e0be84ed:g:gt8AAOxyUgtTKtdT

Connects2 CT27AA14 - Ariel Adapter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2...044098?hash=item3ccf4e2a42:g:OZUAAMXQlUNRK~Ns

Alpine Dab Ariel - £35

http://www.carsoundsandsecurity.co.uk/store/kae-232da/

Started the install yesterday – not going well...

Took 15mins, to get the factory head unit out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0MdRdbmseY

The Interface connector even though plug and play, and fully idiot proof.. is not working.

Had a friend confirm this by making sure the Head unit works. The connector is not sending power to the unit when the ignition is switched on, also steering wheel controls are not working.

Got in contact with the supplier, who said to send it back they will test then order in a replacement..4 days turn around! Ended up driving down £20 in fuel they said they will test later and get one ordered for Friday...So another £20 to go collect..

Thinking I saved little, but would not want to be dealing with rudiemods again!

So watch this space...

Mate it will be worth the hassle, I hope the cheaper option interface works second time around. :bandit: :bandit: if you still have an issue the navtv one is £249 and they can overnight it to you. they are also very helpful on the phone. and you can ping the cr*p one back to rudimods for a refund.

Keep us updated to your progress. This is the unit I'm getting and you've already steered me the right way on the aerial. I am wimping out though and paying a guy to fit it.

I reckon you'll find there's no switched live on the MOST adapter and you'll have to run one yourself. This is what I had to do (as well as a few others) and I took mine from the air con unit. I'll be interested to see how you get on with that DAB aerial - I tried a similar Pioneer one and although it sort of worked it wasn't great. I ended up making my own

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=109214

Have to say Rudiemods were really helpful to me both before and after purchase.

As I have posted several times your wasting your time with a connects 2 interface. On many levels it's rubbish if you do get it going you'll probably find you have a nice alternator hum at any speed.
Nav tv unit works fine and with SW controls.
Unless your a dab hand at installs of this kind expect to spend a complete weekend sorting it all out, with iPod connector, dab aerial, phone mike, Gps antenna etc.
If you want video in motion you'll need a relay and wiring diagram.

Internal glass mount aerials for Dab are useless, external glass mount at the very least are all that works.
Don't expect to plug and play this lot in a couple of hours!!

Not wanting to dampen your efforts but it's best to know what's involved.
Good Luck
Dave

Hate to say this guys (whilst I wish you luck).

This has the makings of a wiring 'train crash' for now and the future.

Have to disagree on the internal DAB aerial. I've had three all of which have worked fine over most of the UK. As for the connection cable I must admit this is why I'm getting a fitter.

The only thing I am not sure about on Sams fit is the most interface as I used navtv. But mie has used it so watch this space. :thumb: :grin: :popcorn: :popcorn:

copmots said:
As I have posted several times your wasting your time with a connects 2 interface. On many levels it's rubbish if you do get it going you'll probably find you have a nice alternator hum at any speed.
Unless your a dab hand at installs of this kind expect to spend a complete weekend sorting it all out, with iPod connector, dab aerial, phone mike, Gps antenna etc.

Internal glass mount aerials for Dab are useless, external glass mount at the very least are all that works.

Good Luck
Dave

I must admit I am a dab hand at installs but all in I reckon it probably took me (including playing about with the DAB aerials) half a day at most. I don't have any alternator whine whatsoever either

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Hate to say this guys (whilst I wish you luck).

This has the makings of a wiring 'train crash' for now and the future.

Don't get what you mean by this at all - the worst case scenario you might face is having to run an extra wire for a switched live

I ran a switched live when I did mine - piece of cake - just use a fuse tap in the fusebox.
Now running all those cables through the firewall was a different matter... But you won't need to with the interface.
One word of caution - I have seen lots of blood feedback on the connects 2 interface - if the difference to nav TV is £50 I would start from there.
Oh - and +1 for windscreen mounted dab aerial.

Best of luck
Rob

copmots said:

Good Luck
Dave

Ah, think i must have missed that...or maybe you did not post when i was looking..

Shoot, yes little late now! had i known i would have got the NavTV one...

Plug and play? will be an internal Ariel - not bothered of how well it works, never had dab before, also not really listen to music - just good to try i guess...

My friends a professional installer - who is helping me out with me paying him for his time but not allot..

if the new interface powers up the unit and steering wheel controls work, unit will just slot in and work.. in theory

Nneed to run the wires for the mic and dab..

Phil 997 said:
Mate it will be worth the hassle, I hope the cheaper option interface works second time around. :bandit: :bandit: if you still have an issue the navtv one is £249 and they can overnight it to you. they are also very helpful on the phone. and you can ping the cr*p one back to rudimods for a refund.

I remember now..they said it will not work on a pioneer - hence i totally forgot about this one - just realized i got a Alpine unit now... lol

second time lucky maybe... :?:

Benjs said:
Keep us updated to your progress. This is the unit I'm getting and you've already steered me the right way on the aerial. I am wimping out though and paying a guy to fit it.

Have you got any install costs?

My guys in London - not sure if you venture this way..

he is installing in his own time (though i did take the old unit out) as i like to be hands on..

I've been quoted £255. This includes surround/aerial and any wiring needed bar a most interface. This will be £200 if i need it, though i'll be steering him towards nav-tv. Just wish i knew what wiring it was as the ASK system should not be fibreoptic, but could be! pfft bloody cars

Benjs said:
I've been quoted £255. This includes surround/aerial and any wiring needed bar a most interface. This will be £200 if i need it, though i'll be steering him towards nav-tv. Just wish i knew what wiring it was as the ASK system should not be fibreoptic, but could be! pfft bloody cars

Ben I think £255 seems reasonable as its probably £50 of Ariel and cables and 3 to 4 hours of labour. Hope you can save the £250 for the navtv MOST interface unfortunately as with mine you don't know until you get into the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back