Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre wear

Tinker

Have a 996.2 C4. Drive it on A & B roads, with occasional M-without-camera use. When hot, red-line it each time.

It came on new P Zeros, which lasted 12k miles. Actually, only 8k with the grip I want. Then put it on Michelin PS2s.

Mileage since then, 21k.

Measured tyres across treads yesterday. 3-4 mm remaining on rear, 4+ mm on front.

Surprised and pleased.

However, not quite as sticky now as I want, so will probably replace in summer.

Told you they were good :)

I don't know what kind of miles the mpss tyres will get, but I've found them to be an outstanding tyre in terms of grip. All of my mates that appreciate tyre performance that have tried them all react in the same way.... "I have seeeeeeeen the light"

I had Pirelli P Zero on my Cayman and had to buy a new set every 10k miles. Now running Bridgestones which I prefer as grip better and seem to last longer. Will try the ps2s next as I've only heard good things about them.

Forgot to say that the PS2s were recommended and then supplied by EXEL Wheels.

Thanks Tinker.

If I recall you had a geo done by the OPC shortly after, and subsequently Carl found something underneath too tight or something very uncommon. Have these contributed to the reduced tyre wear? Its quite a considerable difference.

I've chewed through my rear conti's in 8k miles on my 4S. Maybe another 1000 miles left in them. It's off to Centre Gravity in a couple of weeks for top mounts, and some geo fettling, Chris reckons that the tyre wear has been speeded up with the current set up the car has. We are going to reduce the toe on the rear, give me back some more front end grip, and hopefully increase tyre wear. Anything much more than 10k miles for rears is pretty good going IMO, as they have a lot of work to do.

Think about it like this, with a superbike, you'll do well to get more than 3k miles out of a £200 rear tyre, often much less, so keeping a 911 in fresh tyres isn't that bad. :thumb:

Chris W said:
Thanks Tinker.

If I recall you had a geo done by the OPC shortly after, and subsequently Carl found something underneath too tight or something very uncommon. Have these contributed to the reduced tyre wear? Its quite a considerable difference.

The geo was done by Porsche Leicester before Center [sic] Gravity checked and approved it and just before the Michelins went on the car.

By "Carl" I think you mean Chris, the indy - GCR Central, also in Leicester, who's done good work on the car. Actually, the "uncommon" problem was found by Porsche. It turned out that the under-body cross-member was clicking & creaking, which sounded like worn suspension. In fact, it wasn't torqued-up properly - 130 Nm - which was a simple-to-cure but difficult-to-find fault that, however, had no effect on tyre wear, I think.

Returning to geo, it's not rocket science, I suppose, that good geo contributes to good tyre wear and I've had it done regularly on the twenty-odd cars I've had. In this case, the wear on the Michelins is remarkably even, so perhaps Porsche Leicester are just good at doing it.

Tinker said:
Chris W said:
Thanks Tinker.

The geo was done by Porsche Leicester before Center [sic] Gravity checked and approved it and just before the Michelins went on the car.

By "Carl" I think you mean Chris, the indy - GCR Central, also in Leicester, who's done good work on the car. Actually, the "uncommon" problem was found by Porsche. It turned out that the under-body cross-member was clicking & creaking, which sounded like worn suspension. In fact, it wasn't torqued-up properly - 130 Nm - which was a simple-to-cure but difficult-to-find fault that, however, had no effect on tyre wear, I think.

Returning to geo, it's not rocket science, I suppose, that good geo contributes to good tyre wear and I've had it done regularly on the twenty-odd cars I've had. In this case, the wear on the Michelins is remarkably even, so perhaps Porsche Leicester are just good at doing it.

Just checked my emails and the geo was just after, I was there and remember talking to the guys about the paint free centre-bore for better geo accuracy on Beissbarth ;) Good value @ £120.

I did mean Carl at OPC not Chris at GCR. FYI Carl is now on the service desk customer facing which is extremely good...it means when you call to discuss a problem you get to speak with one of their most experienced techs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back