Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 1988 944 Turbo S

Eldavo

It's a bit late to start a build thread (by about 3 years) but I'll draw a line in the sand and try to record what I've done from now on.

A little history; I bought the car in September 2012 as a project. The bodywork was sound, the engine was standard and the interior went as far as dashboard and seats. There was a nice set of KW ClubSport coilovers and a large recent bill for setup and corner weighting too. The previous owner was a Ford mechanic so all the oily bits had been attended too, backed up by a folder full of receipts back to the original purchase invoice!

Since then I've put a set of lightweight carpets and interior in it, upped the power from 250 to 310bhp, moved to a standalone boost system, new exhaust, bridge spoiler rear hatch and lots of necessary and preventative maintenance.

Any specific questions, just shout.

Fast forward to now:

Painted the boost controller Matt Black and mounted it in rather than on a new carbon plate:

Also, my strut brace just touched the bonnet and I wasn't sure if this would be an issue with the vented one so I replaced the brace with a different one:

The brace itself was great but the attachment plates on the top of the strut towers had been pressed into a raised shape to clear a mounting hangar for the turbo cooling pump and a heatshield - this meant a tight fit and I wasn't too happy with it.

Problem solved though - had the mounting plate pressed flat with a 20 ton bearing press and trimmed the mounting lug and heatshield down with the angle grinder. Perfect fit now!

Took the wing mirrors off and dropped them off at the body shop to be painted at the same time as the bonnet as they were showing their age - I've got some paint protection film somewhere in the garage so might wrap the front faces in that when they come back.

Also took the brake calipers off to be sent away for a refurb. The fronts are the M030 option "Medium Blacks" and are the same as fitted to the nigh on 2 tonnes of 928 S4 so on my car they're more than "adequate":

They're in generally pretty good condition as the previous owner attended to the usual plate lift that curses these calipers - unfortunately he also repainted them with a potato and I've never been happy with the finish:

The silver dot is a 5p for reference - 13kgs of calipers!!!

They're being stripped, blasted, refinished in gloss red with white lettering and having new seals, bleed nipples and polished pistons - they'll be as good as new. Posting them off tomorrow with a 7-day (ish) turnaround time.

About time we saw a build thread Dave :bye:

Looking forward to seeing how the car develops. :thumbs:

Chris

Great car Dave (but you already know I'm a fan)!

Give me a shout if you need a hand with the new bonnet when it's done.

Cheers, Keith.

How about some photos of the car when you bought it and what it's like now?

When I got it:

No interior, a very bad DIY manual window conversion with homemade plastic Windows that popped out when opened, a centre console of broken gauges and ABS panel on as door cards (that didn't cover the sharp bits) :eek:

Refitted the electric Windows (the manual handles hit the dash so you had to open the door to open or shut the windows) and fitted some carbon fibre door cards with 964RS door pulls.

Removed 2 knackered alarms and immobilisers:

Made a wiring loom to fit the electric window and mirror switches in the centre console rather than cut up my new door panels:

Got hold of a carpet set and dyed it black again:

And a very rare non-sunroof leather headlining:

Sorted the bodge of gauges and crap:

If you have buckets and harnesses you need some sort of cage:

And fitted the carpets and trim panels:

Deleted the headlamp washers and fitted a 964RS washer tank:

Had a bridge spoiler painted up and fitted that:

Fitted a Lindsey Racing Stage 2 kit:

Drove it:

Pimped it:

Upgraded it:

New exhaust (AAS):

Electronic boost control:

Power and lots more torque:

Baffled Sump:

New gearshift mechs:

More trick suspension bits:

Still a practical hatchback:

Twin oil coolers:

Frivolous bodywork:

Upgraded headlight loom and LED bulbs:

Glamorous photo shoots:

Lots and lots more inbetween, interspersed with lots of this:

Can't believe I'm the first to say..... WOW!

Looks epic, when's your next track day?

Looks great. I'd love a 944 Turbo but prices have gone crazy lately. After I saw your thread yesterday I looked on ebay and they were between £10-20k!

Yours looks nice, the work you've done has made it look way better.

Mine has an agreed value of £22k via PCGB:

Mind you, they weren't cheap cars new:

Next Trackday is just a season starting shakedown at Teesside in 4 weeks. Then I've got Croft, Blyton and Oulton Park planned again plus possibly another 'Ring trip in May but may take the MX5 there.

Do you have that agreement with your Insurance company though? I have one with my Insurance. Adrian Flux are good dealing with heavily modified cars in my experience at least.

I'm planning to be at Oulton Park but as a spectator. I'll most likely be there in my Boxster (especially if it's sunny). Will be the first one I've been home for in a few years.

Yes - it's insured with Flux with a guaranteed value, all mods declared and covered on a like-for-like basis, 3000 miles per annum, European Breakdown cover and garaged ov night when at home. £203.99 :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back