Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anti- sieze compound

Pretzel

As Castrol Optimol TA paste seems to be no longer available, has anyone identified a suitable substitute to prevent the galling that occurs between aluminium wheel nuts and steel studs?

I got a tin of it from a BMW bike parts dealer. But seems he's stopped selling it too.

There's some Castrol on eBay. But surely it's still available? Porsche have used it for years.

I recently bought a tube on ebay and the seller had plenty of stock. ;)

C.

Castrol out of stock/no supply for a year now. No news, nothing, I've paid for stock and can't get any answers. Apparently even Ford are in the dark. It was always made in small batches but the current situation is ridiculous.

Excuse my 'ignorance' and please do not shoot me down in flames, :?:
But,
what about 'copperslip' is that not an anti seize grease/compound.
and next question, what would you put on exhaust manifold bolts (A4stainless in alloy head) to try and stop seizure :?
Thank you

nevermind,
found the answer over at crcindustries.com

FYI (I guess the nickel stuff is the way to go) other than the castrol stuff, but nickell has higher temp resistance for those manifold bolts :)

quote:
I. Product Description
CRC Copper Anti-Seize and Lubricating Compound is a general purpose anti-seize lubricant that prevents seizing and galling caused by high temperatures, heavy loads, vibration and corrosion. This unique formula has a smooth texture, fine particle sizing and familiar copper color, making it an excellent choice for closely fitted parts that need extreme lubrication. Regular use of Copper Anti-Seize will increase performance and prolong equipment life.
II. Applications
Recommended to lubricate fittings, bushings, flanges, headers, nuts, screws, studs, threaded surfaces, pipes, plugs, and
manifolds to prevent seizing and galling of surfaces.
III. Features & Benefits
- Copper-Based. Safe for use on both ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- High Temperature Resistance. Protects parts up to 1800° F.
- Electrically Conductive. Does not insulate and interrupt current flow.
- Good Choice for Use on Soft Metal Applications. Does not compromise integrity of soft metals.
- Will Not Harden. Heat aging won't affect lubricity of product.
- Facilitates Fast & Easy Disassembly. Saves time in taking apart components.
quote:
I. Product Description
CRC Nickel Anti-Seize and Lubricating Compound is a nickel-based formulation that is free of copper, lead, sulfides and chlorides. This premium high temperature lubricant protects metal-to-metal applications from seizing and galling caused by high temperatures, heavy loads, vibration, chemicals and corrosion. Chemically inert nickel formulation is safe for use with most chemicals that are unstable with copper. This product has extremely high temperature capabilities and excellent chemical resistance. Regular use of Nickel Anti-Seize will increase performance and prolong equipment life.
II. Applications
Recommended to lubricate metal-to-metal applications where a clean, chemically inert, copper-free formulation is necessary. Will not poison catalyst beds, reaction chambers, or special alloy fittings. May be used on fittings,
bushings, flanges, headers, nuts, screws, studs, threaded surfaces, pipes, plugs, and manifolds to prevent seizing and galling of surfaces.
III. Features & Benefits
- Copper-Free Formulation. For use where a clean, chemically inert and stable lubricant is required.
- Extremely High Temperature Resistance. Protects parts up to 2400° F.
- Electrically Conductive. Does not insulate and interrupt current flow.
- Good Choice for Use on Soft Metal Applications. Does not compromise integrity of soft metals.
- Safe For Use on Both Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals.
- Will Not Harden. Heat aging won't affect lubricity of product.
- Resistant to Mild Detergents & Alkaline Wash. Protects against rust and corrosion.
- Facilitates Fast & Easy Disassembly. Saves time in taking apart components.
Also only £3 a tin delivered here :thumb:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390933340912?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true

After numerous calls today it seems Castrol have really messed up the whole market by rebranding everything, and at the same discontinuing the 109g tubes so that you can only buy in 1kg tins!

I may look at getting some repackaged in smaller units that are more easy to use, having said that the market is pretty small it may not be worth it.

cableguy said:
I recently bought a tube on ebay and the seller had plenty of stock. ;)

C.

I looked at various alternatives, ordered the one from eBay in the end.

Chris W said:
After numerous calls today it seems Castrol have really messed up the whole market by rebranding everything, and at the same discontinuing the 109g tubes so that you can only buy in 1kg tins!

I may look at getting some repackaged in smaller units that are more easy to use, having said that the market is pretty small it may not be worth it.

They do have a habit of that, I have at least a lifetime supply of red rubber grease, the way things are going its something that I will pass on to my son as inheritance :dont know:

Chris W said:

That appears to be what the BMW bike place was doing - I have a couple of 100g tins from them and I am pretty sure that Castrol never offered it in that packaging... Failing that, it may be commercially viable to source the 1kg tins in bulk and just sell those on with a little margin?

I can't see a definitive response above for an Optimol (aluminium paste) alternative.

Wanting to refit my wheel(s).

I have both ceramic and nickel anti seize on my shelf, I'm assuming either can be used ?

Thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back