Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 C2S Test Drive

DRZ911

Had gone to the 991.2 launch in December, so have been eager to see if the Gen 2 car could live up to the hype, so managed a test drive today.

Test car was a C2S with PSE and PDK in graphite blue metallic.

Was secretly wanting to really not like this car, because I had come away from the launch event mildly under-whelmed at the changes.

So here is my summary after my test drive .....

1. Even with PSE, engine note about 10% below current car. :nooo:

2. Engine response when steadily moving along (in 'normal' mode) and then flooring it, was about 10% better than current car. Little if any hesitation - very linear. :thumb:

3. Engine response when going for it in sports+ mode was about the same (but lacked some of the NA's aural delight).

4. Engine response on 20 second over-boost was gut wrenching!! :lol:

5. 4-wheel steering was actually very noticeable through the twisties. Felt it was about 10% better on feeling of security and plantedness - certainly a feature to have.

6. Interior - was pushed to see the many detailed changes, although the 918 styled steering wheel jumps out at you and is superb.

Overall : if you can live with the turbo whoosh replacing the NA's scream, then maybe about 5% better as a total package. So Porsche, on the basis of this test drive, have managed to edge the game forwards slightly.

So stick with my 21 month C4S 991.1, or move to a C4S 991.2 at a cost of £33K ??

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0012_209.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0012_209.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 9,739
At that amount to change out I'd be sticking with the car you have, but 33k to you may mean less than it does to me?

I'm just pleased to hear that it's still a great car.

Stick!

Stay with the NA.

:thumb:

Stick - I drove a neighbours 991.2 C2S at the weekend - beautiful car, amazing grip, acceleration and GT ride - the engine noise was the biggest letdown.

My car felt very old (997.1) - when I climbed back in. But the n/a noise made up for the less plush surroundings.

Thanks for all the replies - a resounding "stick with the 991.1".

Acknowledge that the new car lacks a few aural delights (even with the PSE), but still cannot get the torque out of my head or the seat of my pants. It is instant and low down. :lol:

Some stark figures :-
991.1 C4S 440Nm at 5600rpm (991.1 GT3 = 440Nm at 6250rpm)
991.2 C4S 500Nm at 1700-5000rpm

A useful step up of 60Nm, but now a phenomenal spread the width of the Tibetan Plateau from a plodding 1700rpm. Truly amazing, and certainly gives an urgency to the car at any rpm.

On torque alone, surely worth giving some serious consideration to. :?:

An interesting thread. Thanks for the 'real world' comparisons. :thumb:

Hp and Nm really do make a difference to the way a car drives. I've got 480 hp and 620 Nm + £45k extra in the bank :)

Seriously, I loved the 991 as soon as I saw one in the metal. In a few years time I can see my next 911 being a 991.1 C4S .... "last of the NA flat 6's" and all that. :wink:

T8 said:
An interesting thread. Thanks for the 'real world' comparisons. :thumb:

Hp and Nm really do make a difference to the way a car drives. I've got 480 hp and 620 Nm + £45k extra in the bank :)

Seriously, I loved the 991 as soon as I saw one in the metal. In a few years time I can see my next 911 being a 991.1 C4S .... "last of the NA flat 6's" and all that. :wink:

Where is the willy waving emoticon?! :) :dance: 700NM is all I have to say on this topic... Actually that's not true I have more to say... I'd swap a bit of that torque for some of the NA PSE sound. Can't have everything but 'can't' doesn't stop 'wanting' :)

I'll bet the 991.2 is a weapon with 4WS - my torque vectoring is noticeable in the way it tucks the nose in and very smoothly has the rear following in line.

Interesting read. I agree it's an impressive upgrade but having had a longer drive in both a c2 and c2s 991.2 I decided to buy a nearly new GTS.....

findtom said:
Interesting read. I agree it's an impressive upgrade but having had a longer drive in both a c2 and c2s 991.2 I decided to buy a nearly new GTS.....

What were the key factors that swayed you towards a 991.1 GTS :?:

Good question. Noise and feel. The rear wheel steer on the C2S 991.2 was better but overall as a package the GTS was more "me".

That and I found a GTS at the right price...

findtom said:
Good question. Noise and feel. The rear wheel steer on the C2S 991.2 was better but overall as a package the GTS was more "me".

That and I found a GTS at the right price...

Excellent choice, especially at the right price. :lol:

Health to enjoy, and look forwards to seeing the pics when you pick the car up.

Just a quick update. Managed to get the 991.2 C2S demo that I had driven 2 weeks ago as a Saturday/Sunday loan. :lol:

Weather conditions here have been very mixed over the past 2 days, so my comments relate to the behaviour of the car on partially dry roads, completely rain drenched roads and in storm force gales. Not ideal driving conditions. :nooo:

The overwhelming impression after 200 miles is that you drive the car on a wave of torque from 2000rpm onwards compared to my NA C4S. Took me some time to ride the torque curve by squeezing the throttle rather than stabbing at it, but could be very rapid once fully exploited.

If there is one word to describe the car, even in just "D" mode, is 'frantic'. At open road speeds it gives the impression that it just want to go, then go a bit more. Not sure if I like this feeling compared to the NA car. The best way I can describe it is that the 3.8 litre S NA car has a Jekyll and Hyde personality, whereas the 3.0 litre S car is Mr Hyde much more of the time. Not sure if this is the balance I want. :?

In terms of the noise experience, this turbo car in reality remains in the lower half of the Premiership, whereas the NA car with PSE remains in the top 3.

The steering wheel is as good as I remember, although the the dial for "D, Sports, Sports + and I" comes over as a bit of a gimmick. Would prefer these functions as buttons in the centre console as per the 991.1. Was impressed by the turbo over-boost function with 20 seconds of sheer madness, but once the button has been hit a few times, the novelty starts to wear off.:roll:

New PCM was interesting, but in essence does nothing different from what mine does today.

Build of car was a little disappointing. Driver's door handle had split and was falling apart. An annoying rattle in the rear seat area. Tail lights starting to mist up.

So overall, have consolidated my opinion of the 991.2. Perhaps a significant technological step for Porsche engineering, but for the driver, maybe a small improvement in some areas and a half-step backwards in others.

Would I pay £33K and my own car in part-ex? Definitely NOT. At least this weekend has made my mind up. :thumb:

+1

Very uninspiring in my opinion. Rapid, yes, but not the same experience!!!

DRZ911 said:
Just a quick update. Managed to get the 991.2 C2S demo that I had driven 2 weeks ago as a Saturday/Sunday loan ................

Thanks for the 'real world' write up. :thumb:

I was already pretty sure that my next 911 would be a 991.1. I'm now 100% too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back