Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT2 8 years old this year, time to leave the OPC network?

anotherGT2

My GT2 is due in for a major service in March. It also needs a warranty renewal, MOT, new tyres and most likely brake pads, tax is also due at the same time.

I'd never skimp on having the car maintained properly but after working out the cost of running the car for this year I'm really starting the question the value in a) the OPC and b) the warranty.

I've had mixed experiences with OPCs over the years with my GT2 ranging from average to very bad. I've not claimed on the warranty in the last 12 months and haven't used Porsche assist once.

I'm starting to question the value of these things on a 2008 car. My guess is that at the car's current age/value the only people who'd buy it will be well aware that an OPC stamp isn't adding value.

Fearnsport aren't far away from me and I'm about 80% sure that I'm going to send the car to them from now on.

Anyone see any flaws in this logic?

Personal preference really. On one hand you can say "cheap" Insurance....

The warranty on my 2010 GT3 ended a few days ago. Did not renew. Not that they would renew it anyway... :)

+1 on Fearnsport!

Given the ever increasing value of your car I'd personally spend whatever it costs to keep it OPC'd even if you decide to not renew the warranty.

As the warranty can now be applied to any car up to 15 years old [125k miles] a future owner might want to put it back into the scheme.

As a % of the value of your car it seems a 'no-brainer' to me.

I've had good value out of my warranty this year and even though my car is worth far less than yours I won't be hesitating to renew.

+1 on warranty.

What if a turbo gives up? = 1000s to repair.

What if that turbo damages the engine and rebuild time? = 10s of 1000s.

Lots more moving parts on a gt2 over a gt3.

I would take the warranty for a long as you can. £100 a month for piece of mind.

Just my opinion: stick with the warranty

I'd endorse T8's post. The GT2 is a rare car, prices are rising and buyers look at history very closely. There is STILL higher perceived value of a full OPC history and a warranty. PLUS the car can be expensive if it needs anyhting other than routine servicing, which is why I'd also keep the warranty going. Th fact that you haven't used Porsche Assist in the last year does not mean that you are unlikely to need it tomorrow.

The fact that it has all gone so well that no warranty work was done in the last year, likewise - you never know if you need it tomorrow.

The cost of the warranty is small as a % of the value of the car. I doubt taking it to an indy will save you that much really, given that indy labour costs can be around £80 - £90/hr plus VAT anyway.

But its your choice.

Definitely keep going to OPC 100% sure it will make a difference if/when you come to sell. Prices of these cars are heading north and there is as others have said a perceived value in that OPC stamp.

Can't speak for the warranty as I've never had one in my car.

I'm inclined to agree with T8 too

Is the delta cost between the 2 really that significant (ignoring the warranty cost, unless you think you might take a Fernsport warranty if they do one)?

One build on Issyman's post:
My car is 2002. It has only OPC servicing.
I have had it three years since 2012 and all three annual services were carried out at OPC out of choice (Chester in my case).

I got told by various Porsche owners that it doesn't make the slightest difference. But as prices and values have climbed, as the car has taken on 'Modern Classic' status, I already have several people wanting first refusal if/when I sell. When I ask why mine? One of the pillars driving that desire is the OPC history and its perceived value to buyers.

It is not about getting superior maintenance (there are some great indys after all and some of them are ex-OPC). It's more about the perceived value of main dealer history.

Incidentally I also use my local Indy for work outside of annual servicing.

If you're going to use it lots defo keep it with OPC/Warranty. You also get European roadside assistance etc.

I modded mine so can't warranty but with a GT2 it deserves to be kept in the network for the full 15 years. If you drive the wheels off it the warranty will pay for itself one day. :thumb:

It really depends on what to want from the car. Value later for what I see is an utterly worthless service book ( to me) then it's Porsche.

If it's a keeper and you want it looked after properly then it's Matt (Fearnsport) no brainer....

Darren

Gavin you old fruitcake....I hate to say it, but for your rare GT2, warranty and
OPC history is king (no matter how unduly painful it is). I'd be fibbing to you
if I didn't own up and also say that Matt has done some work on mine too...
and not all of it was standard.
But I've also persisted with standard servicing and the warranty too...and I've
had lots of claims over the years...front lift system, rear exhaust box...brake
sensors (x2) and a few other bits.

Warranty is also a big tick in the box at sale time.... :grin:

I've never had a warranty on any of my cars in over 40 years of driving. There's nothing particularly worrisome about the GT2, particularly a pampered standard example like Gav's.

I don't see the warranty as something that is particularly worthwhile if the car isn't going to be sold privately within the warranty period, which Gav isn't going to do I'm sure (remember you agreed to give me first refusal if you do sell mate!). What's the likelihood of selling a £130K car privately anyway (apart from to me, obviously & I don't care about the warranty). Roadside assitance is farmed out to the RAC anyway & I have RAC European cover for any vehicle I'm in (even as a passenger) for ~ £250.

Fearnsport would look after the car far better than an OPC from what I have seen of some of the OPC serviced cars that have been through Fearnsport over the years. Consequently, having OPC stamps in the book is optional, not required, in my eyes. There's nothing to prevent you keeping up the regular service OPC stamps and doing everything else at Fearnsport.

Nick, you neglected to mention that you tried to get your mushy clutch fixed under your warranty at least twice, the car having let you down twice & ruined your trips. Who managed to fix it first time? Matt at Fearnsport. There's a huge difference between a fitter & an engineer; I'd choose the engineer every time

And yet you still have a warranty and think it's a good idea :floor:

Tough one. I actually think the warranty isnt bad value for Insurance but the servicing is poor value. This probably suits Porsche very well! As one has to have the service to keep the warranty.

I had an oil pipe go in Europe and the whole deal was very good, cost me some time but no money. Shlt happens andon these things its normally expensive. But the so is the £700 oil change.

NXI20 said:
I've never had a warranty on any of my cars in over 40 years of driving. There's nothing particularly worrisome about the GT2, particularly a pampered standard example like Gav's.

I don't see the warranty as something that is particularly worthwhile if the car isn't going to be sold privately within the warranty period, which Gav isn't going to do I'm sure (remember you agreed to give me first refusal if you do sell mate!). What's the likelihood of selling a £130K car privately anyway (apart from to me, obviously & I don't care about the warranty). Roadside assitance is farmed out to the RAC anyway & I have RAC European cover for any vehicle I'm in (even as a passenger) for ~ £250.

Fearnsport would look after the car far better than an OPC from what I have seen of some of the OPC serviced cars that have been through Fearnsport over the years. Consequently, having OPC stamps in the book is optional, not required, in my eyes. There's nothing to prevent you keeping up the regular service OPC stamps and doing everything else at Fearnsport.

Nick, you neglected to mention that you tried to get your mushy clutch fixed under your warranty at least twice, the car having let you down twice & ruined your trips. Who managed to fix it first time? Matt at Fearnsport. There's a huge difference between a fitter & an engineer; I'd choose the engineer every time

And yet you still have a warranty and think it's a good idea :floor:

You're missing the point a tad....to sell or market Gavin's car (sorry Gavin to
talk about you in the third tense), to the majority, a warranty is a huge benefit
that's it...

My clutch was never going to be replaced under warranty, and I wanted a non
standard diff fitted. There is no question that Matt's all round skills, vastly
exceed any OPC's engineering diagnosis, advising and fitting know how.

:frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back