Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cost of the oil within an OPC service?

MJA911

Singapore
Car is due 6 year/minor service this year, expecting to pay OPC about £350 for that, plus £95 brake fluid, £75 convertible hood maintenance, drive belt £125, PDK clutch fluid change £95, air/pollen filters £100+ and AWD oil change £not sure - it will add up to quite a lot!

I've been mulling over what I could do without compromising the parts quality or the stamps/ticks in the service book to bring it down a bit. e.g. the Porsche air/pollen filters have got Mann filters stamped on them which cost total £55 at ECP, a conti drive belt (same as Porsche?) is £20 and would take indie half an hour?

I also wondered about taking advantage of keen oil prices at ECP or Opie, so question for anybody who has recently had a service is how much did OPC charge for the oil, or if you supplied your own, how much did they knock off the bill :?:

This time last year the menu price of oil at an OPC was £14.66 + VAT per litre but this can be negotiated. i.e My invoice shows a 40% discount applied giving £67.73 + VAT for the 7 litres used.

Previously I have taken my own 2 x unopened 5 litre containers and the invoice simply shows ''oil supplied by customer".

If the car is not under warranty, why don't you just take it to an indy?

^^^^ I take the car to an indie for most things, but want to maintain its OPC service history, just looking for the lowest hanging fruit to save money that I'd rather spend on far more interesting things.

I think in that case you might be able to get a little shaved off the brake fluid change, some discount on oil or bring your own (unopened) oil.

On the price of filters, I had a similar discussion with my OPC at a major service when they stated 2 new coil packs were required and the price for each was much more than the price of Beru coil packs from ECP (Beru make and supply Porsche). All I was told was they could not fit parts from ECP. So I just told them to change all 6 coil packs at the OPC prices and be done with it. At least I have a two year warranty if one starts to play up.

I think it will be similar for you in the case of filters and serpentine belt - but you could ask for discount on parts if it's an OPC that you have been using consistently.

If you want to preserve main dealer history, it will cost more given that main dealer can only fit original Porsche-supplied parts.

Absolutely, wouldn't ask OPC to fit non-Porsche parts, the filters look like an opportunity to put OE parts in (which are exactly the same as the Porsche parts) myself, they just remove the cost of the air/pollen filters from the service, same with the oil. The belt isnt part of the service, it's an additional item so its just a case of declining their offer to do it, same with brake fluid I guess. With the PDK and AWD stuff, rather they do it. Just looking for easy savings to justify and fund the carnewal PSE bypass remote gadget I fancy :thumb:

A minor service minus filters may mean they stamp the book but not the minor service box? The serpentine belt is fine as its not part of the service.

Supply your own oil , opc have a huge mark up on oil , forget the cab roof maintenance to save money , point out that a brake fluid change is approx £70 from an indy .. if they dont discount then get your indy to do it , youll still get a service stamp.

The drive belt is due to be changed at 6 years and whilst i really doubt it will actually need changeing its best to go with that.

Pdk oil / awd oil needs changeing .. dont leave those out.

As you have mentioned an opc will not fit non genuine parts which is a shame as you can buy the same pollen filters from euro just without the porsche logo.

I do rember being told by a Porsche salesman years ago that a poor or non opc service history would make £500 difference to the value he would offer a trade in ... not a lot when you consider the service cost of opc over indy.

I spoke to service manager, he was ok about me putting a new pollen filter in, he said it wasn't due air filters on this service (I'll check that) but seemed OK about those too. Couldn't or didn't want to tell me how much they would take off service bill with own oil, said it wasn't as much as people think but it was fine as long as containers were sealed and it was approved (A40) oil. I get along with them well, had plenty of stuff done there, he accepted I was just looking at the cost given all the extra work that's due at this 6 year service.

The oil that has caught my eye as a bit of a bargain at the moment is Shell Helix 5w40, it's £38 for 10litres at ECP (with a mot5 code) and £50 for 12 litres at Opie who told me it's just as good in terms of specs as M1. It's the "standard" oil for Ferraris in the same way as M1 is for Porsche.

MJA911 said:
I spoke to service manager, he was ok about me putting a new pollen filter in, he said it wasn't due air filters on this service (I'll check that) but seemed OK about those too.

Remember they are working for you.....not the other way round!

Part of the profit in the job comes from supplying the oil. They will pay less than ECP for oil and mark it up hugely. Not surprising they are reluctant to "let" you bring your own oil.

Just take it to an indy, although some of those can be just as bad. Like said above, it will make little difference to a trade in value, much less than the cost of the works over a few years anyway.

Depends how much of a warm fuzzy feeling you get from knowing you have a stamped book.

Always supply my own oil

Get it from Costco when a deal is on - costs about £6 a litre....

double post

mikeluke said:
Always supply my own oil

Get it from Costco when a deal is on - costs about £6 a litre....

I guess you're taking about M1 0w40, £6 a litre is a good price. I like the look of Shell Helix 5w40 which can be had for £3.80 a litre at ecp at the moment.

wasz said:
Depends how much of a warm fuzzy feeling you get from knowing you have a stamped book.

Absolutely, I value a fully stamped book (less so on the OPC stamps if the car was older), but there's no reason why it has to come with unnecessary fluff or markups, just takes a little more work.

I had a Thomas Caxton home stamp kit as a kid if that helps :grin:

I'm just about to book my Cayenne in for it's 40k/4yr Maintenance Service however the oil was dropped @36k. So I'm wondering if the oil needs to be dropped now as it's not technically an 'oil service' - that's still 15k off or I will buy my own for them to use :dont know:

I also need to 'negotiate' a trade service price on the £550 most seem to charge :hand:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back