Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential daily driver, lots of miles :) (Now Actual Driver)

6appeal

Morning! Am thinking of a new Carrera as my daily driver, but do a fair bit of mileage so welcome a bit of your advice...

My view is that the more miles you do, then the nicer the car to drive. If I did 1,000 miles a year, I'd just use my bike, but for 20k-25k'ish...

Car history:
Renault 5 - cost me £500, sold it for £500.
Rover 213 - cost me £1,000 to get me to work and back. Cam belt snapped.
Citroen ZX - cost me £1,800, it had electric sun roof!
Corsa - company car for a few months
Astra - company car for a couple of years
Audi TT 225 - absolutely loved it, despite the hairdresser cliches

Then I'd bought my first house and settled in with the girlfriend and saved up and metal temptation took hold..

My last three cars have been a 53 plate RS6, (bought in '04) had that for 4 years, was first time i ever owned a car with any real power, and by god it delivered in bucket loads and built good neck muscles. In first MONTH of ownership i did nearly 5,000 miles, i drove it practically the four corners of the UK for fun and to find good roads, great fun. It cost me a damn fortune and whilst I was in my 20's before marriage and kids came along was my only realistic chance so went for it. best car I've ever owned, constant grin.

After the RS6 and a close call with the police, i decided I needed to calm a little; went to test drive a used M6 as they were bargains at the time as recession was kicking in, but test drove a 640d and was mega impressed the balance of power and economy. Plus I was now married and pitter patter of tiny feet was going to be on horizon at some stage, so i sold the RS6 on eBay and ordered a new 640d coupe in '08.

Had the 635d for 5 years, and the 640d Gran Coupe came out, i didn't plan to buy a car, but after walking into dealer to have a look at one, I simply offered silly low money take or leave it as genuinely not fussed and had recently got a new bike, a baby daughter and was looking for classic car sunday driver and to tinker with at the time... After a week of time wasting calls I offered deposit over the phone on my offer and politely not to call me back and he took my cash! So in 2013 had a sensible 4 door family diesel that had over 300bhp and more torque than an M6. It really is a great engine, sure its not the same punch of the RS6 TTV8; but in balance of life it has beautiful interior, great technology and from having HUD for the last 7+ years I will miss that in future.

Sooooo...... that brings me here. its my 40th this year and from reading my Evo subscription, their 911 bias took me to test drive a new Carrera yesterday. I've specced up:
Sapphire Blue
Black/Luxor leather
Entry & Drive
Park assist with camera
Privacy Glass
PDK
Sport Chrono
20" Carrera S wheels
Cruise
Light Pack
Multi function wheel
Floor Mats (seriously!, I can't believe that one, pathetic you have to spec)
Crest on headrests
BOSE

So thats £76k car, £11k options and £13k interest so £100k over 4 years.

Now the dilemma begins... what form of financial suicide is it to buy a 911 and pile on the miles every day. Residual on the finance was £30k... will the experience be worth the cost?

I can't buy a used car, as the C02 is too high, the new 911 is just within the C02 cap of my car allowance scheme at work, so first time I could buy one!

will have a good look on the forum, but any experienced views welcome.

I always say buy what you want and enjoy it.
From your history, you love cars.
If you enjoyed the test drive and can see yourself in it then go for it.

Nothing in the market compares with a 911 for:

Performance
Driveability
Status
MPG
Running Cost
Purchase price
Fun
Reliability
Comfort
and the rebel inside you

:grin:

Go for it!!!

My neighbour bought a 991 Turbo S with PDK last year and now he looks like he's had plastic surgery and consistently looks like this:

He+s+got+the+biggest+smile+ever+_8da3b745884e0a28422c17e9f643a6f8.jpg

With a Rover 213 under your belt I'd say go for it :grin:

Porsche are very mileage sensitive so that will affect values and depends how long you keep it to allow some tepering off but as others have said if it's what you want, and the ball park area your in high miles will affect all other choice options, I'd go for it and ideally look to move on at the 2-3yr point.

My Indy services a 997 Turbo owned by a chap who travels all over the country for work by last count it had 120k+ miles but looked fantastic condition. PCCB were not even half worn so think of the money he's saved on discs/pads :grin:

Spot on... I'd not thought about the brakes. The RS6 obviously ate brakes, and it was £2k a time for new. In fact everything on the RS was multiples of a grand. Whereas the 6's have been ridiculously cheap to run.

Depreciation:
RS6, bought for £40k, sold £16k, so £6k a year, although the running costs were higher than the depreciation.
635d, bought £50k, sold £15k. So £7k a year, running cost was pence.
640d... Needless to say pretty much the same as the 635d, but will be higher the earlier I sell it of course.

911... Looking at £70k over 4 years, so £17k+ is quite a jump in depreciation, unless I can establish a cheaper way to buy.... Own for shorter or longer, need to find the sweet spot of lowest total cost per annum.

Any guidance on servicing costs and consumables welcome...
I get £5k a year (after tax) car allowance, and a fuel card.

Test drive was good! It was terrible wet weather and a brand new car with only 100 miles on the clock, so tyres, engine and chassis relatively green... but was good fun, sounded nice, drove nice and the little mental mode button on the steering wheel is a great touch for 20 seconds of max whenever you want.

First time I have ever driven a 911, needless to say treated it with mechanical respect and didn't fancy burying it in a countryside hedgerow, would be good to drive one once its been loosened up and on dry roads. Grip was relatively good though.

The technology in the car has certainly got better since i last sat in one, and i see on other threads that my 4 year old daughter can fit in the back ok if we ever need.

£5,800 for ceramic brakes :eek: thats a good few normal sets, wonder how many miles out of a standard set on a 911 with predominant motorway miles?

Vast majority of cars in the dealer were either black or white, I like black, but white is a bit Rangerover Sport / hire car. :wink:

There was a white one with red leather, salesman advised that it came with Hollyoaks and TOWIE on continuous loop in the AV system, whatever they are.

A new 911 as a daily driver :worship:

If the sums work for you I'd say go for it. :envy:

I'm assuming that the £30k residual figure quoted by your finance company is for a 4 year old car with c80k miles. :?:

If so you might find this thread interesting as it would explain their reasoning.

=> A typical 80k mile 911 would be 11+ years old

Good Luck :thumb:

ps. :welcome: to 911uk.

Cheers for the replies... the £30k is from the porsche website and also at the dealer.

whilst there is always an enigma "i got 50%"...

what is the opinion on sensible discounts to seek? from reading across the forum, it seems that the extra's are the main objective to seek for a deal to be done.

so any advice welcome on deal, either that of cost of vehicle or on cost of finance?

Yes is residual guaranteed value, with 80k. couple of grand less at 100k if 25k miles per year.

Mine is a daily driver and is a doddle to live with. My previous three cars were all M3's (a CSL then two e92 V8's) and the C4S is a lot easier to live with than the CSL and on a par with the e92's.

Had mine 18 months and so far the only cost (bar Insurance and tracker subscription) has been a pair of new rears at 12k miles. They were supplied and fitted at the place my OPC use for £450 all in. I've paid £400 for a single rear on the M3's before, so I thought that was a total bargain.

I've also added about .25 litre of oil, but that was supplied with the car in a nice bag in the front.

The only real issue is space, but I dont find that too limiting either. My son (11 and 5'3) still fits in the back if necessary. He races RC cars and we can get a pit table and two chairs on the rear shelf, his two cars, spares, TX, tools etc under the bonnet meaning we just end up with a single carry bag on a rear seat.

We did have to buy a new table and chairs, but Go Outdoors had a range so we picked the ones that fitted. Total cost < £50 and it means we can use the 911 when we have boys days out racing so it's money well spent!

Why don't you buy a 2 year old one (or even a GTS if you want to spend more), that way you will get a lovely NA engine and you can get into a proper sec S within your budget. Your total cost of ownership will probably be lower also as they have already taken a big hit.

Cheers... Good to know.

The issue on which car is that literally the only 911 I can buy, and retain my car allowance and fuel card is the new Carerra. As its C02 is just within the cap of the car allowance rules at my work. All other models are over the capped figure so I would forfeit the contribution and card.

Really liked the car, so am quite happy with the option that's on the table.

Think I need to establish a decent all round deal to get the figures to stack up as can't justify the current forecast, is no panic, if it takes a few months or so to find the deal.

Run a 2-3 year old one, and run a second car (diesel wagon) as your business car. The 30-40k saved on the pork should fund a diesel for work in spades.
Also if you're paying bik on the fuel, you need to do massive personal mileage (>20,000) for it to make any sense.
Also helps to keep the mileage on the pork sensible.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back