Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Used Cayenne 2006-2009

pgodinho

Hi folks,

Mrs and I are in the market for a new car... And i'm sucumbing to the pressure of getting an SUV. Currently driving a BMW 530d that is giving me headaches with electronic faults but would like to keep my hands on something that handles well, drives fast enough and takes the family and all paraphernalia. Which takes me to the cayenne. Budget is up to £20k, and have heard that the more basic petrol version is the most reliable - could be an urban myth though. So would like to get your advice on what would be the best version to go for.

Thanks

Welcome aboard chum :thumb: I've just bought a Cayenne but the 958 generation Diesel. However quite a few on here have bought the original model so will chip in with their advice.

Advice I got was buy one with air suspension/PASM - and they were so right :grin:

£20k will get you a first gen diesel but they weren't that good so I'd go for the petrol ideally TurboS with all the options. Just watch those heated seats, on level 5 they will melt cheese :what:

just remember Turbo will only do 15-22 mpg? (so that's about a Fiver for every 18 miles at current costs) or there about and if its newer than march 2006 over £500 to tax, also check out your Insurance quote before jumping in.
these are things you need to know before deciding it's 4U :thumb:

Mine is a 2006 turboS
Good points....
It's fast, very fast,
It handles remarkably well for a bus,
All the toys are included,
Insurance was cheapish,
Put the seats down & it's a van,
Mpg ain't that bad 😬 ok I'm lying 19mpg since I've owned it.
However 24 mpg from my c4s puts it into perspective, and the bus will murder my 911 in a straight line.
I've had nothing major go wrong with it, touch wood.
Petrol is cheap at the moment and when it's not put lpg on it.
Air suspension is a MUST
Heated everything including steering wheel,
4 adults and 1 child with all the luggage you need is very comfortable.

Bad points
Did I mention 12. MPG if you really boot it😬
£500 a year tax 😭
They have a few inherent issues but nothing expensive.
List
1 cooling pipes under the inlet manifold where plastic and basically melted ( these will have been changed for alloy by now for sure)
2 brake boost light comes on on many cars, it doesn't affect the braking and is a simple hose replacement.
3 many have issues with the airbag light, this is usually the drivers seat air bag loose connection.
4 drive shaft Center bearing can fail, fiddly but not expensive,
5 the huge front rotors are £500 each from opc non oe are cheaper.
6 the sensation of speed is deceptive 120 feels like 70, lots of points on your licence,
7 it won't fit in a supermarket parking space

I use mine as a daily and it's probably the best all-round car I've ever owned,
Any questions just ask

:thumb:

Waz said:

:hand: It will if you get in/out via the tailgate :grin:

Zingari said:
Waz said:

:hand: It will if you get in/out via the tailgate :grin:

You didn't get the panoramic roof option then :dont know: :lol:

is this correct £500 each? so £1K for front brake discs? or have I/You got it wrong?

It fits in four spaces no problem.

How do you get 19mpg?

13 to 15 is my average. If your going to drive it like that you might as as well get a Micra!

I bought my Turbo S as Waz talked me into buying something I had never wanted or needed. I use it as my daily driver now (not that I now need to drive daily!)

It's a great tool, come van, come people-mover, come rocket-ship. It's a keeper.

👍

diverzeusy said:

is this correct £500 each? so £1K for front brake discs? or have I/You got it wrong?

EVERYTHING for these cars is £500.

That's why I call mine Monkey.

PeterS said:
diverzeusy said:

EVERYTHING for these cars is £500.

That's why I call mine Monkey.

Like it Peter :thumb:
I personally like a car called 'bob'
as in 5 bob (50p to the young ones) for not dis-similar reasons :thumbs:

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Front discs can be had for less than £100 each.....

Link please?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back