Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SUV- tyre recommendations

Robertb

Yas Marina
I have an E53 X5 which we bought over the summer. Anyways, time to fit a new set of tyres.

I've not had an SUV before, I've no idea what to go for. Toyo Proxes, Michelin Latitude seem to be the key contenders, but any other ideas gratefully received.

Ta!

Had the Toyo's fitted to our X5 13 months ago - been very good and what an improvement on the run flats!

Correct sized Michelin Diamaris Latitudes ideally Star rated, cost a few pounds more than the others but will give no problems and the best balance between warm and cold weather.

As a side note I have a 'as new' genuine set of BMW winter alloys/tyres combination, if you are also considering winters

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Had the Toyo's fitted to our X5 13 months ago - been very good and what an improvement on the run flats!

I had an E53 X5 back between 03 and 05. I don't recall which tyres were fitted, but these first generation cars were not (I think) supplied with ghastly run-flats. I think those came in with the E70 version.

With the latest generation F15 cars, BMW have figured out how to get the chassis/spring/damper/tyre combination right as they have excellent rude quality even on 19 and 20" rims.

Run flats have improved a lot recently - last year we fitted Michelins to our F25 X3 and they are night and day better than the Dunlops we ran previously.

tim

I take it you've gone for non r/fs? I.e. proper tyres!

I think they were too quick out of the blocks with run flats - as only with the latest generation cars is BMW rediscovering the kind of ride quality they used to achieve in the 90s... Our old E39 535i was sublime. Wish I'd never sold it :sad:

tim993 said:
I take it you've gone for non r/fs? I.e. proper tyres!

I think they were too quick out of the blocks with run flats - as only with the latest generation cars is BMW rediscovering the kind of ride quality they used to achieve in the 90s... Our old E39 535i was sublime. Wish I'd never sold it :sad:

Yes - non RF's.

All is know is that my E70 X5 eats the Bridgestone RF's....

I got new rears back last summer and they have done about 8K miles - I reckon that I will only get about another 5-8K out of them....

In the winter I run smaller wheels (18") with non-RF tyres - much better all round, even if they don't look as blingy...

Used to run a VolvoXC90, which had Continentals as standard - they were only good for about 15K miles - I then fitted some Kumho tyres on the basis that they could not be worse! They lasted nearly 30K miles!

I would read some reviews the size that you are looking for and then make your choice accordingly -

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back